What's the worst you have done

Damage wise.

For me I was reversing into a tight gate. But I didn’t notice a bollard. I also had to mount the kerb.

So when I couldn’t reverse anymore because I assumed it was the curb I had to climb I gave it a bit more umph and the bollard was no more. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thankfully no damage to the truck. The bollard was dead centre to the rear of the truck so I couldn’t see it when reversing but I should of seen it driving past it. Lol

Oh one more. I lost a light cluster reversing a tuffnells truck onto a Amazon loading bay.
I had a banksman backing me up but the truck I was driving sat higher then artics so it smashed my lights.
The guy backing me up should of been watching but oh well. My fault as well for not checking.

Ploughed some ones front lawn turning a 18t around :blush:
Artic was shunting in a yard and kept driving in to a metal stillage :blush:

Backing up to a shutter, focusing too much on my rear lights (it was a dark night…) inching my way towards it with the clutch disengaged suddenly felt a soft impact and truck rolled forward - I had hit the wall above the shutter door with my top, luckily there was no dmg to the bricks, only the paint cover had 2 vertical cracks and nothing on the truck. Worst because I ought to know better by now and not make such incredibly stupid mistake a year in…I had an even worse one(in terms of stupidity, no actual damage) less than a month after I started driving but that I won’t ever speak about

I had the 2nd registered 95 DAF in the country on an E reg on its first trip with less than 400km on the clock when on a country road near Sudbury when I was involved in a head on with a 3600 ATI who was on the wrong side of the road on a (to me) left hand bend. Truck was written off and I broke a couple of ribs and my right hand.

The other drivers comment of “I’ve always wanted to see one of these new DAF’s close up” didn’t improve my mood! :imp:

I posted this back in 2012 in a reply to a post…

Back when I was young and naïve, I did a trip to Holland and back, it was a sub contract job from another local haulier, tip Utrecht, load Groningen.
After unloading the paper reels at Hemel Hempstead on return, they wanted their tilt dropped in their yard that was down a tight lane. The yard sloped away downhill to their fitters shop. That night it had another tilt up on trestles with all the running gear off in front of the workshop doors, and another parked at the side.

The last message I got when I phoned the guv’ner was 'drop that trailer in front of the one by their workshop’ It was dark & snowing like the clappers when I got there, the yard was locked and deserted but I was also told there was a key for the padlock under a brick by the gatepost.

After an age scrabbling about in the snow trying to find the right brick under the right snowdrift, I got the gates open and backed in off the lane and stopped in front of the tilt on trestles. I got out and went around to wind the legs down and fell in to what was the old workshop pit before they moved it, full of water and frozen over I emerged like something from the black lagoon.

I was also ‘king’ angry, thoroughly wet and frustrated, and went back around the tractor unit after winding the legs down and without thinking pulled the pin, remembering the lack of removing the airlines and electrics as I watched the ■■■■ thing slide off my fifth wheel.

It slid down the run up rails and thumped into the tilt on trestles…saved I thought, but no, it triggered the slow and agonising debacle as the trestles collapsed and the trestle-less tilt then burst through the workshop doors.

At that point, cold, wet, frozen and demoralised I was past caring, and stood there and laughed like a demented drain before driving away and leaving the mess behind me.

I’m still surprised to this day that I kept my job with that company for quite a few years after !, but the other transport firm namely Location Freight of Waltham Abbey who’s yard it was, never forgave me.

Put one on its side the first week driving an artic when a load of melamine worktops shifted but other than that…

Ripped the canopy off a loading bay.

Was delivering to a small farm which had turned itself into a company supplying premium meat products to airlines. Farmer who owned it was an ■■■■■■■■. The loading bay was directly opposite his farmhouse and in his head you weren’t on the bay properly unless your unit was lined up with the steps on his house.

Anyway one day I reversed it onto the bay, lifted up the suspension for loading and the trailer was on the bay properly but the unit was on a bit of an angle. He was having a bad day and he was ■■■■■■■■ and ranting about it not being on properly and did I know how to drive so I told him to do it himself. He muttered something then said “just do as I say”. He pops to the back of the trailer and tells me to pull forward. So I did as he said, knowing that because the rear suspension on the trailer was lifted it’d pull the canopy off and so it did.

Gets back to the yard, got told to fill in an accident form. On it I put “Under the direct control of the owner of the company who was stood at the back of the trailer acting as Banksman I followed his orders and pulled forward.” Insurance refused to pay him out. Next time I turned up he had a full english breakfast waiting for me and apologised for being an arse. I’m guessing he realised he had been a bit of a prat.

backed a trailer over a Triumph Dolomite belonging to an old guy. He had sneaked into the yard to get a boot load of firewood parked close up behind me while i had lunch in the office .That car was very low mileage he had owned it goodness knows how many years .Anyhoo i reversed right over it

Closed the road for the day :frowning:

rollover1.jpeg

mrginge:

Your own private day of direct action :grimacing:

mrginge:

If you did that at M6 J1 the local caravan club would have that gone and cleared in 20 minutes :laughing:

ginge how did you do that.

harry what did you do? I see a few wheels but that looks like a complete wreck.

Trickydick:

mrginge:

Your own private day of direct action :grimacing:

The green types would have been impressed, a recyclable load and the unit and trailer were soon recycled after the job was done.

toonsy:

mrginge:

If you did that at M6 J1 the local caravan club would have that gone and cleared in 20 minutes :laughing:

We took a while getting a low loader and machines down there but we did clean it all up bar the new tarmac that had to be laid.

adam277:
ginge how did you do that.

A ‘slight’ problem with the truck that will not be mentioned here, a driver not shaving enough speed off in time being distracted with a van going up the inside and some camber.

On a triple deck transporter I was pushed on to deliver 1 to Bellshill then get to auction in Glasgow to collect 2 before closing. Car off at Bellshill and lower middle deck but forgot I’d raised the top short deck also. 1st M’way bridge and I had a convertible Primera and Shogun. Strapped down well, never moved.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

This isn’t a “toilet attendent’s” thread where “Wot I used to do for a living” is being discussed - is it? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had a barrier come down between the cab and trailer - twice.

The last time it happened - I got the bullet over it. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I backed into the door with the projecting rail for loading/unloading hanging garments, but I forgot to open the back doors, not only did it mangle the doors, it pushed the rail into the building and broke about 200’ of it clean off the mountings, of course the 200’ of rail was full of garments to be loaded into the trailer, so they all ended up on the floor in a heap, it was quite the catastrophe, but apart from a lot of ■■■■ taking for the next couple of years, nothing was ever said about it.

Working for a supermarket chain I went to a small store in Lincolnshire, Drove into the car park then had to blind side it into the unloading bay. Missed didn’t feel anything just saw a cloud of dust as a wall fell down. Luckily the wall missed the managers car by inches as it came down.

When I got back to the depot, they said it wasn’t my fault because it was a hired unit with no back window. I didn’t disagree :laughing:

late 70"s i had 50 foot of steel girders on a 40 foot flat that had started edging backwards,so in my quest for professionalism in hgv drving and being parked up in wolverhampton at the back of the cop shop i nudged the girder against the wall which promptly collapsed on top of all the plod cars over a 30 yard length.
a rapid exit ( as rapid as a 180 gardner could go),then it was a fast horse and a packed lunch as far as corley services to chain it down a bit more,and never heard a thing since.
theres the usual couple of barriers been taken down and a couple of wrecked cars,(1 on purpose which led to a careless driving but it was soooo worth it)…and a national carpark attendants shed/hut thing in mancs one morning when i slept in and was jammed in by cars.number plate off,and byebye hut.
all in all a bit of a non event for me considering a few trips to saudi,years of euro work,and years of uk tramping on and off.

I once converted a box trailer into a flat without the customary use of a bridge! Working for the long gone parcel company amtrak, all the trailers were boxes with taillifts so they could load roll cages at the depots. But none of the hubs had dock levellers so trhe TL was used as a bridge to the dock. Lazy bastich shunters just used to pull them off the dock and park them up in a row with the TL still down, until along I came, having been told by the yard marshal to drop mine behind ‘that there row of trailers near the fence where we can get it out’. So I did, and it being 3am with no lighting in that patrt of the yard I failed to see the tail lift sticking out, and the ramps in it which carved the side of the trailer from the deck as easy as you please.

And as for the time I dumped my rig in a lake…

Screwed the trailer around in a tight yard at Ecclesfield Sheffield, hooked the chain link fence with the T bar, and ripped out 200m+ of fencing.
Running out of the cold store at Holmewood I turned around in Batley’s yard at hull and caught the 500ltr fuel tank of the Renault tractor unit on a high curb tearing it open, and subsequently spilt the best part of a full tank of diesel down the drain.
Delivering furniture from the Next DC at J4 Doncaster to the store at Speke, I drove into the carpark with an arctic and struggled to get out, and around 6 months ago I did a similar thing at the Ransomes retail park at Ipswich while trying to get to the B&Q yard, I even managed to use the Costa Coffee Drive thru lane to get out of that one