Loading a car into a rigid truck

Lower tail-lift, drive car over it and inside, park and secure car. Is it legal? Anyone done this?

ETS:
Lower tail-lift, drive car over it and inside, park and secure car. Is it legal? Anyone done this?

Of course it’s legal.
The issue is usually having a long enough tail lift.

Or, if loading from a dock across a short tail lift, check the s.w.I. of the tail lift. And if it’s a light truck expect the suspension to drop, so beware of damage to underside of car.
Doable with a little thought and care.

As long as the tail-lift is long enough and strong enough there’s no problem.

I’ve carried cars in a curtainsider but never had to use the tail-lift to load.

Sent from my mobile.

Totally legal and often done, the hardest part is getting out of the car. the next hardest part is securing it unless you can park it hard against the headboard.

Sorry, what I meant by legal was does the truck/company need a particular type of license, like can you do it on a restricted O-license if it’s not a company or a customer car?

ETS:
Sorry, what I meant by legal was does the truck/company need a particular type of license, like can you do it on a restricted O-license if it’s not a company or a customer car?

Not with a restricted O-licence if they’re being paid to transport the car.

Sent from my mobile.

I used to bring vans back from N Ireland to Birmingham because they made better prices at auction here. In Belfast, we found a friendly depot with a loading ramp, but in Birmingham, we used a combination of overhead crane and tail lift.

The van was loaded nose first and the steering wheel tied down. We would push it out onto the tail lift with a suitable block to stop it rolling off. Then we used slings with a spreader bar to lift the back end, roll it out until the front wheels were on the tail lift, and then lower both together.

Santa:
I used to bring vans back from N Ireland to Birmingham because they made better prices at auction here. In Belfast, we found a friendly depot with a loading ramp, but in Birmingham, we used a combination of overhead crane and tail lift.

The van was loaded nose first and the steering wheel tied down. We would push it out onto the tail lift with a suitable block to stop it rolling off. Then we used slings with a spreader bar to lift the back end, roll it out until the front wheels were on the tail lift, and then lower both together.

Sounds like a nice run/job you had. Serious

adam277:

Santa:

Sounds like a nice run/job you had. Serious

I was the TM - we sent a driver to NI once a month as we had a depot in Belfast. For some reason, secondhand ■■■■■■ vans were worth very little there so we bought them back, got English plates for them and the put them in the auction.

The deliveries were all over the six counties and sometimes the driver would go on to Dublin and catch the ferry back from there. The whole trip took four days normally.

piece of ■■■■…
youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5Ya7qKOu0

dieseldog999:
piece of ■■■■…

Here’s the…

Unload.

youtube.com/watch?v=SqfuMbnVI6w

there are specialsed trucks you see often at airport cargo centers!

dieseldog999:
piece of ■■■■…

Got give them 10 out of 10
But how did they get the 2 tail lifts under the car to start with

edd1974:

dieseldog999:
piece of ■■■■…

Got give them 10 out of 10
But how did they get the 2 tail lifts under the car to start with

Reverse car onto one ramp and apply handbrake. (Rear wheels only stopped) Lower ramp on 2nd truck and reverse that under (free wheeling) front wheels of car?
Bit of wood under ramp to stop some of the scrapeing? Only guessing.

ETS:
Lower tail-lift, drive car over it and inside,

This is what sleep deprivation can do to you, kids.

ETS:

Sounds like a driver trying to get out of a job? :wink:

Who needs a trailer?
Never did work out how or why!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

It is easier to load a car (or three…) into the back of a coach…

When taking our half cab Fodens from Ashbourne to Darlington for recabbing, and there wasn’t one to bring back, we always took a car (usually a Hillman Hunter :blush: ) in the tipper body to get us back to the quarry. Powder tankers were a bit of a struggle though… :laughing:

Pete.