Are there any Impact Protection Vehicle drivers here?

So we have started doing some ipv work and I’ve got some questions about it. If anyone here has done the IPV course, I could use some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Token.

TokenYank:
So we have started doing some ipv work and I’ve got some questions about it. If anyone here has done the IPV course, I could use some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Token.

Yes I am an IPV driver, what do you want to know?

What’s an IPV?

Is that the one that sits behind road workers with large lights on and big arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
What’s an IPV?

Is that the one that sits behind road workers with large lights on and big arrow?

Yes.

Demand for drivers is going down though, according to this :laughing: theconstructionindex.co.uk/ … ad-workers

I’m an IPV driver and TMF, 16 years in.

Mainzer:

TokenYank:

Thanks in advance,

Token.

Yes I am an IPV driver, what do you want to know?

Right, so I’m having to drive one regularly, and I’m trying my best, but I’m having some trouble getting my employer to acknowledge the requirement for providing us training for it. We’ve had an hour or so familiarisation on how the controls work, and we are currently in the process of developing a set of instructions on how to complete a specific task.

So we use the IPV on a 30mph (most traffic does 40+ on this particular stretch of road, on a dual carriage way, with about 50-60 metres or so visibility from where cars come from around a bend to being able to see where we are stopped.

Up to now, the directions go like this… Before setting off from the hard shoulder, we set the direction of the arrow to point left (currently covered by the crash cushion) when approaching our stopping point, we slow down to about 15mph, raise the billboard, once that is raised, we start lowering the cushion, and try to get the cushion lowered before coming to a stop against the central reservation, at which point we are now directing traffic into the nearside lane, and can then provide cover to the lads working in the offside lane. After the offside lane is closed, we then lower the billboard, then raise the crash cushion, and drive off when we have a clearing in traffic, moving into the left lane and carrying on.

We drive a traiload cushion mounted to an IVECO hiab wagon, so the cushion lowering controls are on the middle of the dashboard and the billboard controls are on a big control box that is mounted to the floor just under my left knee. Not sure if the procedure would change with vehicles, so I thought I’d let you know what type of controls and crash cushion we have.

So I’ve found on the gov website an article relating to the training courses available for the vehicle, and it says refer to an article on the UKAS website, which I then looked up, which said that there is a different license for working on hard shoulders than in live lanes, and up to now, all I’m being told is that as far as management can see, nowhere says the training is mandatory, and it’s optional, and they can’t put a case together to the higher ups to authorise the training if it’s just suggested training.

I need to know a few things here though… Is lowering the crash cushion required on a 30mph road? Is there supposed to be any weight in the back of the vehicle? What’s the safe working distance between the front of my truck and the people working in the road? Do I lower the cushion while driving or do I come to a stop in the live lane and then lower it?

I can’t get a definitive answer on any of these questions, and I keep saying that training would provide us with this info, however up to now, no training is being arranged. Do you know of any documentation that states the 12A/12B training is an absolute requirement for using the IPV on live lanes that I could forward up the chain to get us on the courses? Can you answer any of those questions I have about using it?

Many thanks.

lantra.co.uk/course/12-impa … ehicle-ipv

If you are new to the industry or do not hold other current NHSS 12ABC TTM skills registration cards/certificates you will need to take the Temporary Traffic Management Basis Course. You will not be required to gain 3 months ‘on the job’ experience prior to attending the IPV course.

Course delegates must hold the appropriate HGV category on their driving licence. To drive on live lanes the candidate must hold a valid 12AB card (incl. unit 3 assessment) as a minimum otherwise they are restricted to mobile hard shoulder operations (non-live lanes).

The first page I printed out and handed them was that Lantra page.

Their response was “Lantra are just a training company and will just say you need to do every course just so they can get money out of you. We can’t use that page to justify the requirement for training”

I pointed out that Lantra make the courses, and on that page you can find local training providers, why would a training company do that? And it was met with " we can’t use Lantra for definitive training requirements"

National Highway Sector Schemes are mandatory for Highway Agency contracts and existing suppliers should demonstrate compliance with the requirements of ISO 9001:2008 and the sector scheme document as part of their continuous improvement within their ISO 9001:2008 registration.

It is recommended that Clients/Highway Authorities acknowledge the requirements of Sector Scheme 12D as a contract requirement.

It is necessary for Clients/Highway Authorities to ensure that all those involved in temporary traffic management operations are appropriately trained and skilled, whether or not they are directly employed. The modular training scheme is designed to cater for the various alternative situations, ranging from the employment of a lone worker cutting hedges to a traffic management contractor for a major highway contract.

skillstrainingcentre.co.uk/sector-scheme-12d

All depends on who owns the road as to what qualifications are needed, if it’s a Highways England road then you need to hold a Lantra live lane ipv card to deploy or a Lantra non live lane for hard shoulder operations, if it’s a council owned road then it’s a different kettle of fish entirely as it’s all down to what the council deem as acceptable, some will insist on Lantra qualifications others will say anybody deemed competent by the contractor employed, as for method statements then it’s down to the employer to write them and sign them off.

My gaff we aren’t allowed to deploy the cushion on the move it has to be done from a place of safety ie lay by or hard shoulder, as there have been instances of close following vehicles having it deployed on their bonnets.

Lantra aren’t a training provider as far as traffic management is concerned, they are actually a registered charity and produce the relevant sector scheme cards for a fee.

Cushion controls in most vehicles are normally an up and down button and auto brake switch located easily with in reach ie dashboard as for the light arrow controls these can be mounted anywhere but are on a lead and as such you can pull the panel out of its mount as some are on magnets and others slide out and place it somewhere more convenient for use and just stow it back when finished.

dcgpx:
What’s an IPV?

The clue is in the title duh

robthedog:

dcgpx:
What’s an IPV?

The clue is in the title duh

What clue :unamused:

IPV stands for Impact Protection Vehicle.

Firstly Lantra are the governing body and not a training provider.
Going by what you asked, Are you local authority or highway agency road? if HA then if you are working on low speed dual carriageway then you would need a Lantra 12D M3 and you would need a Lantra IPV driver card too but that is only a 1 day course.
As for the procedure I would stop in the hard shoulder with beacons on, switch auto brake on put light board up turn arrow to the right but with light arrow off and then lower the cushion.
As you move off into lane 1 you would now switch light arrow on and when safe change arrow as you move to lane 2 or vice versa.
Personally I wouldn’t be operating an IPV without the Lantra qualifications as if there is a RTC then you will be the one in court.
You can always contact Lantra for advice or a training provider if you are still unsure how you stand legally.

I don’t switch the auto brake on until I’m stationary in position.

wilkina:
All depends on who owns the road as to what qualifications are needed, if it’s a Highways England road then you need to hold a Lantra live lane ipv card to deploy or a Lantra non live lane for hard shoulder operations, if it’s a council owned road then it’s a different kettle of fish entirely as it’s all down to what the council deem as acceptable, some will insist on Lantra qualifications others will say anybody deemed competent by the contractor employed, as for method statements then it’s down to the employer to write them and sign them off.

My gaff we aren’t allowed to deploy the cushion on the move it has to be done from a place of safety ie lay by or hard shoulder, as there have been instances of close following vehicles having it deployed on their bonnets.

Lantra aren’t a training provider as far as traffic management is concerned, they are actually a registered charity and produce the relevant sector scheme cards for a fee.

Cushion controls in most vehicles are normally an up and down button and auto brake switch located easily with in reach ie dashboard as for the light arrow controls these can be mounted anywhere but are on a lead and as such you can pull the panel out of its mount as some are on magnets and others slide out and place it somewhere more convenient for use and just stow it back when finished.

Surely if the car is following so close for that to happen then they are breaking multiple rules from the highway code, ie stopping and following distance, and the IPV driver couldn’t see them so “if you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you” advice. So it’s their fault.

You’d like to think so but unfortunately H&S stands in the way of common sense and natural selection.

Is this actually for real? Someone with this level of responsibility with regard to the public, being allowed to operate in live conditions without what seems much of a clue? :open_mouth: