ADR Grangemouth

Hi folks! :laughing:

Looking for a bit of a change in jobs. Looking to get into tanker work. I know the tanker game isn’t what it used to be, but it seems the only local jobs that will offer a similar pay to what I’m doing now.

I’ve done a search on here and found out a few things, mostly about Hoyer and Turners.

Anyone got any info on FTS, Sucklings, Flexigrid/greenergy, Highland fuels, Certas, and any I may have missed…info like pay, conditions, treatment from management, pension, hours contracted, and hours expected to work.

I kinda get the impression I should avoid Oilfast, and Lewis/Turners. But again any info appreciated.

Hoyer however…

I’ve read lots about them, and the main issue seems to be their shift patterns. I currently work every weekend by choice, as weekday days off suit me better. So weekend, nightshifts is my cup of tea. I’ve seen on here from older threads, they get paid a flat rate of £15.50, £16, £18 and I believe one said £18.50? All posts consistently say it’s a flat rate. Some posts say they work 4x12 shifts, but their web page advertising jobs in England say 32 hours a week! Surely they don’t offer a 32 hour week? I haven’t got my ADR yet, will get it pending holiday availability, Hoyer advertise no ADR requirements, or ADR experience and plenty have said their training is best in the business… again any up to date info appreciated

Anyone who doesn’t want to post on here, for worry of management identifying them, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again guys! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hoyer training is good, but they charge you for it if you leave, 3grand for leaving within a year, 2 grand before 2 years, 1 grand before 3 years. Their shift pattern, as you mentioned is also all over the place, a mixture of days and nights. Based at Stanlow, they offered a guaranteed basic rate of 30k p/a because of only offering a similar number of hours, so to earn decent money they want you chasing overtime.
If it’s fuel work you want to get into longterm, you will need to be pdp qualified, which you can only do with a company behind you because of the practical part of the test.
Hoyer are about the only fuel company that will take on without a pdp or adr, so look at them if you want to get on it straight away, otherwise you will probably have to get your adr first, then get a bit of experience doing chemical tanker work (Brenntag, Suttons, Bulkhaul etc).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi Cookie monster, and thanks very much for the reply…

So it’s 32 hours p/w, which must be like 4×8 hour shift? For a salary of £30k?

I know Oilfast take people on straight from the street, but hear too many bad things of them. Would need to be a bit more desperate to leave my job, to go there I think.

Thanks again for replying, much appreciated. :grimacing:

That’s what you’d think, but they don’t make it that simple.
They have all sorts of contracts and shift patterns. Likelihood is you would start on ‘white fleet’, think the shifts are something like:
Mon Tues weds days,
Thurs off,
Fri sat sun Mon nights,
Tuesday weds off
Thurs Fri sat sun days,
Mon off
Tues weds Thurs nights,
Fri sat sun off
then round again Mon Tues weds days etc.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I worked for Hoyer on fuel based in Immingham. I know you generally get paid more in you’re based in Purfleet or running out of Kingsbury. The shift pattern was 5 on 3 off for around 4 weeks then 2 weeks of 4 on 4 off. It’s one week days, next week nights. Pay was basic guaranteed around £28k, but realistically you’d be earning between £35k - £40k, possibly more if you are prepared to work extra shifts when you can. I personally didn’t like working for them, but some people do and have been there years! It is definitely a great place to start as you’ll get your PDP and experience needed to go elsewhere.

I left over 18 months ago to a job that pays more but I’m currently waiting to hear if I’ve got a job back on fuel with another (better) company.

If you’re willing to give it a go I’d say it’s worth it if you want more money and/or various shifts during the week.

Fudd44:
I worked for Hoyer on fuel based in Immingham. I know you generally get paid more in you’re based in Purfleet or running out of Kingsbury. The shift pattern was 5 on 3 off for around 4 weeks then 2 weeks of 4 on 4 off. It’s one week days, next week nights. Pay was basic guaranteed around £28k, but realistically you’d be earning between £35k - £40k, possibly more if you are prepared to work extra shifts when you can. I personally didn’t like working for them, but some people do and have been there years! It is definitely a great place to start as you’ll get your PDP and experience needed to go elsewhere.

I left over 18 months ago to a job that pays more but I’m currently waiting to hear if I’ve got a job back on fuel with another (better) company.

If you’re willing to give it a go I’d say it’s worth it if you want more money and/or various shifts during the week.

Thanks for reply Fudd!

Got my ADR booked for next month, I’ve been on hoyers website weekly looking for ads, all down south! Seen one last week for Grangemouth, so will give them an application this week at some point.

The £28k just is you do 32 hour a week?

Do you know anything of the pension now?

Thanks again!