ADR - crew requirements

Maybe a simple question for someone…

Class 1 - explosives ADR journey - ADR driver of course, but are there any requirements about the number of vehicle crew that can be carried?

I understand that vehicle crew do not need to be ADR trained - but need training in the load specifics and handling - stuff like that.

I understand that vehicle crews are nominated as such - and have to carry photo ID with them.

But - how many extra crew can be carried ? I always thought it was the driver plus one more - but this might be incorrect as I cant see anything specific in my looking through the regs.

I guess it would be vehicle dependant - ie a van might have the driver and seating for 2 persons next him - even though this might not be ideal - it is still 2 seats.

So in practice would this be the case? if the driver has 2 manufacturers seats next to him can he carry 2 crew as long as they are trained in the load handling requirements and carry some form of officially recognised photo ID ?

( not interested in crew cab type arguments )

Thanks

Gerry

Jubilee:
Maybe a simple question for someone…

Class 1 - explosives ADR journey - ADR driver of course, but are there any requirements about the number of vehicle crew that can be carried?

I understand that vehicle crew do not need to be ADR trained - but need training in the load specifics and handling - stuff like that.

I understand that vehicle crews are nominated as such - and have to carry photo ID with them.

But - how many extra crew can be carried ? I always thought it was the driver plus one more - but this might be incorrect as I cant see anything specific in my looking through the regs.

I guess it would be vehicle dependant - ie a van might have the driver and seating for 2 persons next him - even though this might not be ideal - it is still 2 seats.

So in practice would this be the case? if the driver has 2 manufacturers seats next to him can he carry 2 crew as long as they are trained in the load handling requirements and carry some form of officially recognised photo ID ?

( not interested in crew cab type arguments )

Thanks

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I’m surprised that your DGSA didn’t answer this easy question for you, but here goes…

You’re correct in everything you’ve said, and you’ve even got the right answer in there. :smiley:

This will be down to the number of (proper) seats, as ADR has nothing to say about numbers of “the members of the vehicle crew.”

:bulb: Note the use of the plural and the word “crew.” :wink: