Top 3 worst truck driving jobs?

1. Multidrop (6+ /day)
  2. Refuse collection
  3. Dunno…tippers/skips? Or maybe sewage pumping?

So you actually mean top 2?

One mans meat is another mans poison

First and worst driving job I’ve had was confidential waste collection. Lots of heavy lifting with bags, basically you’re a bin man who comes and empties the bins in the offices.

How does hauling trailers full of fallen stock and animal by-products tickle you?

General haulage with a curtainsider is the worst job available in my opinion.

harrawaffa:
How does hauling trailers full of fallen stock and animal by-products tickle you?

General haulage with a curtainsider is the worst job available in my opinion.

If youcare waiting in queue at the services or in a shop…there probably wouldn’t be a queue for long , it would soon disperse with the odour :laughing: :laughing:

We all like and dislike different things, so long as you enjoy the work and it pays well no such thing as a bad job.

Juddian:
We all like and dislike different things, so long as you enjoy the work and it pays well no such thing as a bad job.

I would say that’s pretty much correct, different people prefer different types of work.
I also think that people who you have to deal with at your destinations etc makes a difference too.

Juddian:

Yes, I’m sure there are people out there who enjoy the smell of feces and can’t believe they’re getting paid to do a job which involves…the handling of ■■■■■ waters. Just like there are people out there who hate their 6 hour 1 drop shift, get paid 8 hours - what a chore.

Jimmy McNulty:
One mans meat is another mans poison

+1
The op has multidrop as number 1 but I love it and much prefer it to the usual “take this load to here then call me” or “Collect that load and bring it back here” and you end up arriving back at 1 in the afternoon dreading where youre getting sent next. ■■■■ that.
I prefer delivering to multiple places and then when I get back to the yard, im done for the day
Give me keys, paperwork and addresses and ill see you when I get back after its all done.

bonnie lass:

Juddian:

I would say that’s pretty much correct, different people prefer different types of work.
I also think that people who you have to deal with at your destinations etc makes a difference too.

That’s one of the reasons I enjoy what I do. In the 5 years or so I’ve been doing it I’ve never had a single cross word with anyone at the sites we service. Always pleased to see you as you’ll get that stinking trailer out their yard and leave a nice clean one in exchange. Had a wobble a few weeks ago and went and seen some other employers but quickly realised how good I’ve actually got it where I am.

Ok, so I would never have considered skips, refuse collection or any type work I did not fancy. I think I was lucky to drive in the period I did especially when I first started (1968) because there was a great choice of different types of work and in these days I reckon it was more than just having a licence that got you the job. Maybe it’s the same now? Don’t know because last time I went for employment was so long ago I have lost touch but from what I read on here any tom, ■■■■ or harry seems to get a job if they show a licence? Won’t mention standards. :wink:

It has to be drivers who work for companies that expect you to do 65 to 75 hours a week for the price of a normal weeks work, like 2 for the price of 1
I do sympathise with them who have to do it because they would never get the 500 or 600 anywhere else or a job doing anything else

harrawaffa:

bonnie lass:

Juddian:

That’s one of the reasons I enjoy what I do. In the 5 years or so I’ve been doing it I’ve never had a single cross word with anyone at the sites we service. Always pleased to see you as you’ll get that stinking trailer out their yard and leave a nice clean one in exchange. Had a wobble a few weeks ago and went and seen some other employers but quickly realised how good I’ve actually got it where I am.

It’s different type of people who deal with fallen stock etc, I skinned years ago, not always plesant when you had a stinker to do though !! :frowning: , but yes great people to deal with , a lot different from some of the other jobs .

1. Stobarts
  2. Eddie Stobarts
  3. Stobarts Group

Not quite ‘truck’ driving…

But still driving…

Carrying ‘Cargo that talks’…!!!

Still scared by it 20 years later… :confused: :open_mouth:

Multidrop is fun. I used to do anywhere from 4 to 7 drops on an artic.

The worse top job I had, was “talking to planner who thinks he can”. But since then they changed planner and now I am doing my second worse job. Talking to another planner.

Learner driver…

If something you said to patient felt really good, for sure it was wrong thing to say - previous work experience :slight_smile:

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

The best job I ever had was as a C&D driver with between 60 and 100 drops and 10 collections, 8 until 5 weekdays only. We even got an hour for Lunch [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know people doing job that looks bad from the outside, but they work for a decent employer, somebody who respects what they do, even still out there doing it themselves.

The work I hated most was RDC type work, clean easy work, but the way many RDC’s seemed to treat drivers and the waiting just did my head in.
Never minded a job with a bit of graft, where you might get dirty or even have to load and unload the truck.

I once had a Monday morning job of Birmingham , tip 200 lorry tyres , and reload 200 including super singles , all you got was a plank to roll the top row up !! It’s the dirtiest & most back breaking job I’ve had , when you were tipping the top row you got tired and they come over and pin you to side of tri or knock you over & when loading , you got tired and then they go anywhere when trying to roll them up plank .
2 lads there said they’d injuries to shoulder / back so no help !!! H&s !!’