Arm hanging out window

years back especially in summer id often see an arm resting on the windowsill of trucks and cars motoring along as i overtook. a bare hairy [or not so hairy newboy]arm i mean. these days its really rare to see this mile after mile but why is this ■■ are cars and trucks that little bit wider now so its uncomfortable to do? or dyou need 2 hands on the wheel now theres more traffic ?

aircon

dekka:
aircon

Yep, definitely this. Works better with windows shut.

I have no air con and one very brown arm. :wink:

The window in a lot of newer trucks doesn’t roll all the way down, not as comfy resting your arm on the edge of a piece of glass as an arm rest

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

i drive a van and have a feeling the sill in these vans is too narrow or too far away for comfortable arm resting. it might be an idea for me to screw on a slat of balsawood to the inside to make more of a decent sillrest. just to prove a point - IF i do this i will report on the result
back in my youth i yearned to have a hairy arm resting all nonchalant on a sill like the big men did when i grew up , one of those silly little things that iv never acheived

also leads to hearing loss from the wind noise unfortunately!,i have hearing loss due to the arm out the open window when a young un,did look cool though and even better when you could take out a LHD for a while. :smiley:

What did he say,what did he say? :smiley:

I DO have aircon in my Iveco, BUT, it’s as useful as an asthmatic blowing through a small drinking straw (no offence intended as I suffer from asthma myself). Much better to have both windows open (proper aircon) when trundling down the motorway.

And YES, I also have a brown right arm!

Probably a combination of numerous reasons varying from silly modern ideas regarding driving position in which the seat is sitting on the floor and the steering wheel and door ledge too high to rest an arm on.Or as some have said the modern day weird attitudes to always wanting the windows closed.Also thereby missing one of the great pleasures of the smell of grass fields and trees especially when driving during through the country during an early warm Summer morning or late evening.

Also often joined in with the extreme Italian version of not just resting an arm on the door ledge but actually hanging down the outside of the door of cars or trucks as a type of bio radiator in the blazing Italian Summer heat.Until suddenly realising how bleedin dangerous it was with a right hand drive let alone left hand drive vehicle.On that note I can see the attraction of closed windows and air con when temperatures reach 30 C + .But never something I needed to bother about on night trunking in which case the DAF 2300 and 2800 door ledge height relative to seating position and geared opening quarter light windows were perfect during warm summer nights.

I like the window open even these days, but modern mirrors cause not only a noisy buffeting storm but tend to bounce half dead wasps onto you, not handy.

I too am partially deaf on my right lug 'ole, but i ran left hand drive cars for a number of years so at least the tan got evened up over time, plus V8 soundtrack through twin side pipes not to be missed :sunglasses:

'arf deaf in me right ear, but I don’t have the brown right arm any more. Got a dodgy back though. All a legacy from the early days.

Always amused me it seems tipper drivers especially love an open window even in the cold and rain.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Not only detrimental to your hearing but driving with the window down has lead to many cases of Bell’s palsy due to the constant wind buffeting one side of the face.

I put my arm out the widow.

Although widows.never go fully down anymore don’t
Know why though

Prefer open widow and fresh air circulating in my cab.
Amsues me how many cars you see in hot weather sat there with all the widows closed

I don’t use my aircon. Prefer open widow fresh air.
Im.not a greenie.
But I’m sure aircon is bad for the environment . Uses more fuel. And the compressed gas it runs off can’t be good either. All.full of minute particles being blown around your cab.

I haven’t driven for 5 years bar the odd agency shift and I still have the tanned drivers arm :laughing: :laughing:

It’s all to do with image . :sunglasses:
Just picture it.
Butch rugged trucker cruising, extremely good looking, window open, sun shining, raybans on, hair blowing in wind …(ok the last one is a distant memory :smiley: ) and looking extremely cool, more so if in a left ■■■■■■…a treat for the laydeez, job sorted. :sunglasses:

You’re welcome.
:unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

CookieMonster:
The window in a lot of newer trucks doesn’t roll all the way down, not as comfy resting your arm on the edge of a piece of glass as an arm rest

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Exactly this for me. We’ve got some Next Gen Scania G450s, and the windows only go about 3 quarters of the way down on them. Can hardly get my head out the window while reversing let alone dangle my arm out in the sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edd1974:
I put my arm out the widow.

Prefer open widow

Hmmm!

Garbo2018:
I DO have aircon in my Iveco, BUT, it’s as useful as an asthmatic blowing through a small drinking straw (no offence intended as I suffer from asthma myself). Much better to have both windows open (proper aircon) when trundling down the motorway.

And YES, I also have a brown right arm!

Weak airflow is likely to be due to a clogged cabin/pollen filter. It’s a consumable item that should be replaced at regular intervals.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk