Bridge strike - Ireland

irishtimes.com/news/ireland … -1.3853396

“Terrifying” indeed…He went in clean but then hit something in the middle under the bridge??

“He suggested that lorry drivers who do not pay attention to their load heights should face dismissal and criminal prosecution.” said the rail-man…

Looks like it was one of the DVSA’s favourite Dutch hauliers trucks.

nothing wrong with that, quickest i’ve seen a JCB unloaded

Sixties boy:

It certainly looks like an orange DAF wagonndrag belonging to…them…

Looks like it was the back-actor that caught the bridge.
Could that have raised itself during transit if not secured properly?
Or was it possibly loaded in a slightly raised position to squeeze all the machines onto the vehicle?
They are never knowingly under-loaded are they?!

Franglais:

Sixties boy:

It certainly looks like an orange DAF wagonndrag belonging to…them…

Looks like it was the back-actor that caught the bridge.
Could that have raised itself during transit if not secured properly?
Or was it possibly loaded in a slightly raised position to squeeze all the machines onto the vehicle?
They are never knowingly under-loaded are they?!

Firstly there seems to be something weird about the way the back actor has been stowed.But they seem to be higher now,with longer arms regardless,than how I remember them.

While the ‘bridge’ height is a joke anyway.In which case silly route choice combined with a dodgy loading plan in which the arm seems to need to be folded more and put on the front of the trailer not the rear.Probably with the driver saying that’s fine what could possibly go wrong and then typically forgetting all about the height of it in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Dublin was a pain in the arse for low bridges as far as I remember.
I once spent ages trying to navigate around them trying to find my way to the ferry about 10 years ago.
Good old DeRooys, they’'ve had more cowboys working for them than The Cartwrights at The Ponderosa… :slight_smile:

robroy:
I once spent ages trying to navigate around them trying to find my way to the ferry about 10 years ago.
Good old DeRooys, they’'ve had more cowboys working for them than The Cartwrights at The Ponderosa… :slight_smile:

It’s rather embarrassing really. There was a time when a Dutch truck abroad would be piloted by a competent driver, zware Van Nelle in one hand, black coffee in the other. Most internationale chauffeurs made the Irish look pedestrian, two runs to Spain a week being considered an easy run… (Huisman have a run on the flowers, ship out from the veiling, to Calais, do however many drops at flower shops in Southern England you have, reload somewhere England, back on the Scheveningen boat. Three trips one week, two trips next week… :open_mouth: )
These days, the few drivers of the few Dutch wagons that still run on Dutch plates, have taken to displaying the “Fair Trade, Dutch Driver” sticker on their door.

There was…

Room for at least another two machines. I’m amazed De Rooy let him out of the yard with such a small load.

I was ‘terrified’ watching that.

robroy:

Absolutely. Port Tunnel was a godsend…unless you’re too high ironically! When it opened they started enforcing the height limit rigorously. Lots of people including my former employers Virginia had to have double Deckers lowered!

Green and red army know how to lower a DD - just need a bridge! :confused:

ETS:
Irish Rail release ‘terrifying’ footage of lorry striking railway bridge – The Irish Times

“Terrifying” indeed…He went in clean but then hit something in the middle under the bridge??

Bridge is at an extreme angle to the road, looks like he’s under but the arm striking the bridge is still outside

yourhavingalarf:
There was…

Room for at least another two machines. I’m amazed De Rooy let him out of the yard with such a small load.

I was ‘terrified’ watching that.

Where was he going to put another 2 machines -on top of the chassis cab on the prime mover!!!