Working Hours Question

I’m still confused by all the rules and regulations. On the one hand I’m told the max working week is 60 hours, but mustn’t exceed 90 hours in a two week period. Is there an opt-out on the two week 90 hours combined maximum?

A scenario.

Week 1
I work 5x12 shifts Mon – Fri on nights. I take a day off on Saturday, but work a 12 hour Sunday day shift. One hour per night on all six shifts is PoA. Total hours worked = 66.

Week 2
The following week I again work 12 hour Mon-Fri nights. Again, one hour per night on all shifts is PoA. I then have Saturday and Sunday off. Total hours worked = 55.

Would that be legal?

There isn’t an opt out, as far as I know.

But make sure you take off all of your breaks too, you only need count Driving and Other Work in the calculations.

90 hours every 2 weeks is maximum driving time

Grandpa:
I’m still confused by all the rules and regulations. On the one hand I’m told the max working week is 60 hours, but mustn’t exceed 90 hours in a two week period. Is there an opt-out on the two week 90 hours combined maximum?

A scenario.

Week 1
I work 5x12 shifts Mon – Fri on nights. I take a day off on Saturday, but work a 12 hour Sunday day shift. One hour per night on all six shifts is PoA. Total hours worked = 66.
Without knowing how much break was booked it not possible to say whether that’s legal or not.

For the WTD you can do 60 hours working time per week but working time does not include breaks or POA

Week 2
The following week I again work 12 hour Mon-Fri nights. Again, one hour per night on all shifts is PoA. I then have Saturday and Sunday off. Total hours worked = 55.
[color=#0000FFYes that’s legal.

Would that be legal?

You’re confusing the road transport working time regulations and the drivers hours regulations.

The maximum working time or 60 hours is a WTD rule, for the WTD there is no fortnightly maximum working time other than the 2x 60 hours working time.

The maximum weekly driving time is 56 hours per week and 90 hours in any 2 consecutive weeks but this comes under the drivers hours regulations.

The drivers hours and tachograph regulations are far more important than the road transport working time regulations.

Welcome to stupidly confusing - we need a PHD to keep track of what’s driving vs working, fixed weekly vs between weekly rest and WTD stuff.

Did have me a little worried then but wasn’t going to say anything about “that’s max driving time” incase i was wrong. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, yes it’s a bureaucratic nightmare and they say these rules and regulations are an improvement! :unamused: