Improving our image with the public

mobile.twitter.com/HumberbeatRo … 4704049157

Dont know what company he worked for, but I’m betting they only employ minimum wage monkeys who cant work elsewhere.

Was watching the news the other day and there was bit of a hoo ha because some part timer in a nothing job at the council was getting paid more than the prime minister. The council responded with “if we want top candidates, we have to pay top price”. I started wondering why that policy isnt being applied to lorry driving. (Not that I expect to be paid more than the prime minister, but it would be nice).

you dont need the best of the best of the best just somone who is competant and reliable
as far as drivers are concerned its a wide and deep pool where its considered a shaved monkey could do the job rather than a concientious professional who will need paying an above average wage to do what is quite a dangerous’ and stressful job where there are huge responsibilities thrown back onto the drivers shoulders when it all goes wrong

Lorry driving is the same as brain-surgery: any ole idiot can do it.

But not many idiots do either successfully.

Notimetoulouse:
you dont need the best of the best of the best just somone who is competant and reliable
as far as drivers are concerned its a wide and deep pool where its considered a shaved monkey could do the job rather than a concientious professional who will need paying an above average wage to do what is quite a dangerous’ and stressful job where there are huge responsibilities thrown back onto the drivers shoulders when it all goes wrong

Tbf mate there actually are a few shaved (and unshaved) monkeys already doing the job. :unamused:

As for the public’s image of us, it’s those lot that go a long way to bringing it down to ground level, in terms of ability, bad attitude on the road, and appearance.
They tend to stand out more to the public, and overshadow the rest of us who actually do have the ability, and right attitude and who don’t walk around looking (and smelling) like a ■■■■ hobo. :unamused:

robroy:

Notimetoulouse:

Tbf mate there actually are a few shaved (and unshaved) monkeys already doing the job. :unamused:

As for the public’s image of us, it’s those lot that go a long way to bringing it down to ground level, in terms of ability, bad attitude on the road, and appearance.
They tend to stand out more to the public, and overshadow the rest of us who actually do have the ability, and right attitude and who don’t walk around looking (and smelling) like a [zb] hobo. :unamused:

I have seen this mentioned more than once now, and I’m puzzled.
How does my hygiene regimen affect my ability to drive a truck? If I can shower I will do so, and I will wear a clean set of clothes every morning, but if i park up on an industrial estate or out in the country, i don’t loose sleep over it. And as far as i know, my driving abilities are no better or worse wether i have a shower or not.

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Notimetoulouse:

They tend to stand out more to the public, and overshadow the rest of us who actually do have the ability, and right attitude and who don’t walk around looking (and smelling) like a [zb] hobo. :unamused:

How does my hygiene regimen affect my ability to drive a truck? If I can shower I will do so, and I will wear a clean set of clothes every morning, but if i park up on an industrial estate or out in the country, i don’t loose sleep over it. And as far as i know, my driving abilities are no better or worse wether i have a shower or not.

Errr…I didn’t say it did bud. :neutral_face:
It’s image we were on about, appearance as well as ability.

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Notimetoulouse:

Errr…I didn’t say it did bud. :neutral_face:
It’s image we were on about, appearance as well as ability.

I wasnt getting at you personally Rob (don’t worry mate :sunglasses: ), but there has been an overriding sense of “smelly drivers are bad drivers” vibe, here and in other threads. I just find that non-sensical. There are as many crap drivers smelling of Lynx Africa as there are good drivers who should have had a shower last night.

Me, I prefer Cerruti 1881…

The bloke in the op…may well have ability and hygiene
Unfortunately he doesn’t have a licence.

I would say it’s more about ability to drive correctly (or not in a lot of cases) than appearance that has an effect on the general public. Most people (apart from some employers) don’t care what we look like but they certainly care about being bullied and harrassed on the road and that’s what sticks in their heads.

The problem is that many of our ’ crew ’ are indeed sweaty, fat and lazy. This erm… ’ look ’ (and often smell) very often goes hand in hand with the publics discovery of ■■■■ bottles and other delights in lay-by’s.

Added to the mobile phone addiction and tailgating, we can’t really complain when we are ALL viewed with contempt and disgust by the majority of motorists. Let’s be honest- three grand, a few weeks, reasonable vision and something fractionally over a minimum level of brain cells to survive allows you to be a LGV Driver.

We sadly have too many morons amongst us to ever be respected by Joe Public, and along with an over supply of said cretins, it’s another reason why we will never get good pay.

Couldn’t care less what the public think of me, I’m into making money not making friends.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Couldn’t care less what the public think of me, I’m into making money not making friends.

It’s drivers like yourself that don’t help the situation and if you are wanting to make money you are in the wrong occupation. I know people that get three times as much as most lorry drivers for half the hours and they get treated with respect and are well thought of by others. Something lorry drivers can only ever dream about.

jakethesnake:

TheUncaringCowboy:

It’s drivers like yourself that don’t help the situation and if you are wanting to make money you are in the wrong occupation. I know people that get three times as much as most lorry drivers for half the hours and they get treated with respect and are well thought of by others. Something lorry drivers can only ever dream about.

Hi Chester,

On the other hand I know people WHO struggle to keep a roof over their head, and feed their family. They wish they could work more hours than they do, but low or zero hour contracts keep people captive in crap jobs. I know of no drivers who struggle in that respect.

jakethesnake:

TheUncaringCowboy:

Ffs Jake take a day off will you :unamused: …look at his username. :bulb: :bulb:

the nodding donkey:

I would look at it the other way around, that the poor state of many drivers is a sign both of how poorly many are treated and their low expectations.

They either cannot clean themselves (without overwhelming hassle or planning), or have given up their dignity and just don’t give a toss.

After all, doctors sometimes sleep at work and thus away from their homes, but they still have facilities.

The public is quite right that the appearance of the average lorry driver says everything. It does not really matter whether it is the fault of the individual or his circumstances - he is an undesirable either way.

Rjan:

the nodding donkey:

I would look at it the other way around, that the poor state of many drivers is a sign both of how poorly many are treated and their low expectations.

They either cannot clean themselves (without overwhelming hassle or planning), or have given up their dignity and just don’t give a toss.

After all, doctors sometimes sleep at work and thus away from their homes, but they still have facilities.

The public is quite right that the appearance of the average lorry driver says everything. It does not really matter whether it is the fault of the individual or his circumstances - he is an undesirable either way.

Some don’t have time to spare to stop for a ■■■■ never mind a wash.
15 hours in, followed by 9 hours in a lay by on the bunk stinking like ■■■■… :unamused:
They have to keep their bosses happy you know. :unamused:

I use my phone when I’m driving my car. Am I a bad driver? No, because I don’t use it when I’m driving a truck.

ETS:
I use my phone when I’m driving my car. Am I a bad driver? No, because I don’t use it when I’m driving a truck.

Yes you are !!! And if stopped using phone in your Zb’ing car it can affect your HGV licence as well twonk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

ETS:

Yes you are !!! And if stopped using phone in your Zb’ing car it can affect your HGV licence as well twonk

He’s maybe referring to hands free use tbf, it’s getting to the stage where the brainwashed are advocating for no phone use at all, handsfree or otherwise.
I seem to remember a certain member on here telling us we should be totally 100% alert at all times when driving (humanly impossible) to the point of not even listening to the radio. :unamused: and sat bolt upright in the learner driver ‘‘hands 10 to 2, nose to windscreen’’ position. :laughing:
Christ I’d be knackered after an hour. :laughing:

robroy:

blue estate:

ETS:

He’s maybe referring to hands free use tbf, it’s getting to the stage where the brainwashed are advocating for no phone use at all, handsfree or otherwise.
I seem to remember a certain member on here telling us we should be totally 100% alert at all times when driving (humanly impossible) to the point of not even listening to the radio. :unamused: and sat bolt upright in the learner driver ‘‘hands 10 to 2, nose to windscreen’’ position. :laughing:
Christ I’d be knackered after an hour. :laughing:

You listen to the WIRELESS whilst operating a heavy goods killing machine!!!
You MAINIAC !!!
I for one shall be writing directly to my local bunch of outraged echo chamber to have this sort of thing BANNED…
GET THESE KILLING MACHINES OFF THE ROAD.!!!

I am sure “stuff” will get into shops some how or another, I haven’t really thought that far ahead to be honest…