El Frigo Espana

Soooo my lot have just got a contract running ambient stuff in a box to Spain then reloading with chilled stuff.

Have oodles of experience driving and working abroad which is why Im on the contract but I’ve not done much fridge work, certainly not in the last ten years anyway. Is it still the same case of the paperwork will tell you the temperature I assume? Any other frigo specific things I need to know? :slight_smile:

Ask…

Your gaffer what temp to set. Ask the customer what temp they want and if there’s a big difference, pick up the phone.

Fridges will maintain the temperature of the product your collecting. Might be handy to have a temp probe. I still have a lazer one in my bag that I haven’t used for years.

Soft fruits can ‘burn’ if you don’t fridge them properly. The top boxes should be covered with cardboard to protect them.

Don’t run out of cherry.

Soft fruit, oranges, etc fridge on constant, pack house will tell you temperature, very rarely will it be probed by supermarket, if delivering to a packhouse in England, they do probe on delivery. And get two bulldog container locks. Don’t want extra load now.

toonsy:
Soooo my lot have just got a contract running ambient stuff in a box to Spain then reloading with chilled stuff.

Have oodles of experience driving and working abroad which is why Im on the contract but I’ve not done much fridge work, certainly not in the last ten years anyway. Is it still the same case of the paperwork will tell you the temperature I assume? Any other frigo specific things I need to know? :slight_smile:

As above, boss or the shipper/customer will tell you the temp. , best to never assume and always ask.

When parking up try and park in amongst all the non frigo lot, now is also a good time to stick it on a defrost cycle. Smile widely as you get dirty looks from behind their curtains. :laughing:

Open the doors when it’s empty and a bottle of zoflora or similar doesn’t go amiss in case you get that musty stale fridge smell.

TheUncaringCowboy:

toonsy:

As above, boss or the shipper/customer will tell you the temp. , best to never assume and always ask.

When parking up try and park in amongst all the non frigo lot, now is also a good time to stick it on a defrost cycle. Smile widely as you get dirty looks from behind their curtains. :laughing:

Top fridge driver tip that.

biggriffin:

TheUncaringCowboy:

toonsy:

You’ve got to give yourself something to enjoy in this job :laughing:

TheUncaringCowboy:

biggriffin:

TheUncaringCowboy:

toonsy:

You’ve got to give yourself something to enjoy in this job :laughing:

It’s the same as going into park box roaring away, just to have a quite night , T_-_________________. Only fridge drivers know this answer,and it’s a secret.

toonsy:

Once you have been given the temperature write it on the CMR before the person loading you signs it, that way if there is a problem you have proof that the loading company agreed to the said temperature and you arse is covered.
You will find that the same product is not necessarily run at the same temperature depending on which company loads it or who it is for have had variations from +3 to + 10 for the same item when loading with different companies.
Get a set of jump leads once you have done it a few times you will be able to jump a fridge in a few minutes a callout in France or Spain to jump a fridge is an eye watering cost for them to do a 10 minute job

Very rare I run with a fridge, but our customers do require a printout from the temp recorder on delivery.
I understand some have the senders put a recorder in the load that the customer retrieves, but for us a fridge printout is the way. Just remember to set it before you load.

Mazzer2:

toonsy:

Once you have been given the temperature write it on the CMR before the person loading you signs it, that way if there is a problem you have proof that the loading company agreed to the said temperature and you arse is covered.
You will find that the same product is not necessarily run at the same temperature depending on which company loads it or who it is for have had variations from +3 to + 10 for the same item when loading with different companies.
Get a set of jump leads once you have done it a few times you will be able to jump a fridge in a few minutes a callout in France or Spain to jump a fridge is an eye watering cost for them to do a 10 minute job

Very good point there re. writing the temp before signing.

Also if you’re jumping it mind only use 12v from the unit as 24 will fry it. Most fridgea are 12v.

Remember the fridge will only require jump starting when it is raining/windyasfeck/hail/thunderstorms/raining/windy/rainy.

toonsy:
Soooo my lot have just got a contract running ambient stuff in a box to Spain then reloading with chilled stuff. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you are loading dairy products, pharma or what but I assume it’s fruit and veg If I’m wrong apologies in advance and ignore remainder of this post.

Short answer is we usually load home on behalf of the buyer rather than the seller and if there are discrepancies we set the temperature the buyer has stipulated and confirm if he wants continuous or cycle/sentry.

Here is a good guide on temperatures for “Produce” from a container line. cnc-line.com/sites/cnc/files … vation.pdf

If something doesn’t seem right (typos and errors happen) I prefer to send a text and get a text answer and thus I have it in writing.

Longer answer to international Frigo work to add to the good points already made by others:

I apply different rules depending on product sensitivity and how well I know or trust the shipper and receiver but you can’t be too careful imo so other points to consider.

I cool the trailer for 30-60 minutes before loading to about the dew point temperature of the day which is usually available on a weather app. Much cooler can give a lot of condensation and weeping when you open up to load.

Do not put road diesel in the fridge and as larf says never run dry even if the diesel fairies visit you.

I like to to know that the product is properly chilled before loading. If in doubt probe it and if more than 2°C off, call the office and put it on the CMR in addition to Mazzers point.

They say fridges only maintain temperature rather than cool although I’ve seen fresh lambs go rock hard more than once and fresh fish starting to point their tails at the roof :blush: .

Don’t let them load above the red lines and keep the air ducts clear.

Personally I don’t like cycle in the summertime cos I always wonder if there is a problem when I don’t hear it running especially when sleeping so I prefer continuous generally.

Check you settings every time you get in and out of the truck as ■■■■■■■, especially Spanish ones, have been known to tamper with them so as to shut off the noise at night.

If you have a delay while tipping, pull off and close the doors and turn on the fridge again if off.

Buyers that realise they now have too much perishable product use all sorts of tricks to reject or claim on a load. Holding you for an hour or two and then probing the back pallets claiming the temperature is too high is a sucker punch.

Unless you are via tunnel request a plug in when checking in on the longer ferries and make sure the motor is running properly before going up stairs.

Sounds like nice work. Enjoy :smiley: :smiley: