Tacho defaulting to "break"-any potential problems?

I was in a truck today whose tacho would switch to break instead of other work every time the engine was turned off. I tried to remember to change it manually but forgot a few (5-6) times…I was on multi-drop so ended up with a bunch of bogus breaks 8-10-18 mins each. I thought about doing a print out and then circling only my legit breaks (1x 15 and 1x 30) but didn’t because…I forgot again. Could there be any issues if DVLA get to see this? I’m working tomorrow as well so I could do a print out maybe?

Can’t see any probs mate tbh, as long as you show you have taken the required statuory breaks.
You can get the default setting changed if you are going to be on the truck regularly btw.

robroy:
Can’t see any probs mate tbh, as long as you show you have taken the required statuory breaks.
You can get the default setting changed if you are going to be on the truck regularly btw.

Cheers, bud. It has happened before (often) when I’ve set it on break but they wanted me to load/leave so I had to interrupt it at around 10mins and then took my regular breaks afterwards. I always thought it would look fishy to the DVLA as they can say I worked during those 10 mins but this time it’s multiple “breaks” on the same day so that story won’t fly.

Being pedantic it’s not “an accurate representation of the working day” but in the real world showing the tacho changing mode when ignition is off should you encounter DVSA will most likely explain it.

Unless you get a pedant.

Is it not easier to get into a habit of changing it to other work? An old MAN I used to drive yonks ago used to do it but I soon got used to switching it to other work at every drop. Unless it suited me to forget :wink:

Shall I write about nuns and children being sold. Nah.

toonsy:
Being pedantic it’s not “an accurate representation of the working day” but in the real world showing the tacho changing mode when ignition is off should you encounter DVSA will most likely explain it.

Unless you get a pedant.

Tbf any time I’ve been stopped over the years by VOSA, DVSA or whatever tf they call themselves now (and it has been many) they have been fine.
Only once I came across the pedant you are on about, a young ■■■■ know it all ■■■■, who argued with me about different reg plates on a foreign unit and trailer, …and another different one on a kooi/moffet, (all perfectly legal)
He was put in his place eventually by his boss :smiley: … just before I was getting a bit ■■■■■■ and losing patience with him. :blush:

First thing to pass is the ‘Attitude test’ they set you. :bulb:
This sort of genuine situation, odd misdemeanour or mistake they aint bothered about, it’s the habitual types with no regard to the law and regs they are after.

ETS:
I was in a truck today whose tacho would switch to break instead of other work every time the engine was turned off. I tried to remember to change it manually but forgot a few (5-6) times…I was on multi-drop so ended up with a bunch of bogus breaks 8-10-18 mins each. I thought about doing a print out and then circling only my legit breaks (1x 15 and 1x 30) but didn’t because…I forgot again. Could there be any issues if DVLA get to see this? I’m working tomorrow as well so I could do a print out maybe?

It is how it has been set up …If i remember correctly your bosses can alter it with a company card .if not then your local tacho centre will change it to what you want it to do ,From experience when sending out a new truck our customers want them set to no change …As we get vehicles in that where sold from somewhere else and the main complaint is when on rest ,if the ignition is switched on to open window for example it would default to other work ,which they never noticed …So you need to tell the tacho centre exactly what you want ,it will help if you can speak to the tacho lad as reception generally translate what you want in to something totally different

If you don’t switch it to other work when ever you stop (like in traffic, or at the lights), you are making a false record. Fact. Making false records carries heavy penalties, upto and including jail. Fact.

Wether VOSA man will take it that far, remains a pot luck question. But the first two statements are fact. Get the tacho reset, or remember to manually switch the mode as required.

This has been annoying me this week as I’ve just been given a new truck. The new one defaults to break when the ignition is turned off, my old one (not old really, a 17 plate) would stay on whatever it was set to prior to the ignition being turned off. The 17 plates’ sister truck would switch to other work even when on break…which I discovered 13 minutes into a 15 minute break. :blush:

I once had a truck (a MAN I believe) that used to automatically switch to work when I switched the engine off. Sat having a 45 on the side of the road and after X amount of minutes, the tacho display would go to sleep so after around 35 to 40 mins, I switched the ignition on to wake up the display and saw that I had around 10 mins left so switched the ignition off as one does and didn’t even think to check the status of the tacho. Naturally I was a bit ■■■■■■ as I had to take another 30 mins to get my 45 min break for the sake of turning the ignition on then off again :confused: Was new to driving MAN at the time so another case of live and learn so remember boys to understand what your tacho does when you take a break! :laughing:

the nodding donkey:
If you don’t switch it to other work when ever you stop (like in traffic, or at the lights), you are making a false record. Fact. Making false records carries heavy penalties, upto and including jail. Fact.

Wether VOSA man will take it that far, remains a pot luck question. But the first two statements are fact. Get the tacho reset, or remember to manually switch the mode as required.

A good brief would get that ‘‘false record’’ accusation in that situation kicked out of court within 5 minutes…even if as you say VOSA bothered to take it as far as that, I’d bet a weeks wage they would not.
There ARE leeways with them despite the popular misconception with many on here that you can not ■■■■ in the cab without them wanting to string you up.

I read somewhere (can’t find it now) that to count as a break it must be 15 minutes long at least, anything less counts as other work.

shullbit:
I read somewhere (can’t find it now) that to count as a break it must be 15 minutes long at least, anything less counts as other work.

It must be a minimum of 15 to count towards a driving break or WTD break, but you can put it on break for say 10 minutes whilst making a coffee at a customers premises. I put my tacho on poa once I’ve unloaded and drinking the coffee the customer gives me, I only use break for the hour per day I get deducted.

shullbit:

Found it…at the bottom of paragraph ‘‘mandatory breaks’’ driverhours.co.uk/drivers-hours-rules/

shullbit:

shullbit:

Found it…at the bottom of paragraph ‘‘mandatory breaks’’ driverhours.co.uk/drivers-hours-rules/

As Muckaway said a break has to be at-least 15 minutes to count for the WTD or count as a driving break but a shorter break is still break not other work.

I wouldn’t take too much notice of what it says on the Chartwise site, they’ve been mentioned on TN before :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115271&p=1769207&hilit=chartwise#p1769207

norb:
IFrom experience when sending out a new truck our customers want them set to no change …As we get vehicles in that where sold from somewhere else and the main complaint is when on rest ,if the ignition is switched on to open window for example it would default to other work ,which they never noticed …

These are the worst…I once lost 27 mins (had to restart my 30 min break) because I turned the key to illuminate the tacho to see how much I had left. Learned right away after that one.

norb:
So you need to tell the tacho centre exactly what you want ,it will help if you can speak to the tacho lad as reception generally translate what you want in to something totally different

I’m afraid I have no say in the matter…

the nodding donkey:

Ehh it only switched to rest if the ignition is off. Don’t know about you but I leave the engine running when waiting at traffic lights and traffic

The m.a.n I had this week did this , regular driver at place said 2 out of 3 m.a.n s there did it

My Iveco also defaults to break everytime I turn the ignition off. I raised this issue with the powers to be, but they claim that this tacho cannot be re-programmed to stay on the mode it’s on (other work, etc) when I switch off the engine.

They also issue infringements for “unaccounted time” (i.e showing break for under 15 minutes) because I have forgotten to switch modes when turning off the ignition.

Garbo2018:
They also issue infringements for “unaccounted time” (i.e showing break for under 15 minutes) because I have forgotten to switch modes when turning off the ignition.

^^^^^ That’s a new one on me! I regularly stick it on break for less than 15 mins, usually in scenarios where I’ve been told to park and wait for a certain bay which then becomes available. As has been said, a sub 15 min break will do nothing to clear your driving time, but it will come off of your working time.