Maritime transport

Alright,

Does anyone know much about maritime? Thinking of applying for a tramping job out of Leeds depot… heard mixed reviews from lads I’ve came across on the road.

Any info on wages/trucks, management or lack of :laughing:

Cheers :slight_smile:

Do you want to be brainwashed in to the “maritime way” by jumped up arrogant driver trainers ? ,do you want to be told what to do and made to feel worthless by an office full of slick haired tight trousers and even tighter shirt only way is Essex wannabes but just roll over and take it because that’s the “maritime way”,do you want to be watched by in cab camera?
Apply now if so,
Trucks are all new and I know nothing about wages but I see close hand how these operate and it could be £1500 a week and I still would touch them…
Try one of the smaller container operators in Leeds and one that doesn’t sub contract for maritime,
Is it container work your looking for■■?

Talked to loads at coca- cola , Tesco & never said anything bad to me , in actual fact there on my list at p/ bro

yorkshire terrier:
Do you want to be brainwashed in to the “maritime way” by jumped up arrogant driver trainers ? ,do you want to be told what to do and made to feel worthless by an office full of slick haired tight trousers and even tighter shirt only way is Essex wannabes but just roll over and take it because that’s the “maritime way”,do you want to be watched by in cab camera?
Apply now if so,
Trucks are all new and I know nothing about wages but I see close hand how these operate and it could be £1500 a week and I still would touch them…
Try one of the smaller container operators in Leeds and one that doesn’t sub contract for maritime,

Who do you work for Terrier?

I know 4/5 drivers that started at maritime Leeds depot and non lasted more than a couple of months. As above spoken to like sh*t and maximum hours. Very high turnover of drivers and constantly advertising says it all for me.

Don’t feed the…

OVLOV JAY:
Don’t feed the…

Pony? :bulb:

The “constantly advertising” thing isn’t a great yardstick to use, especially as they’re a huge company and as such will employ more drivers and will have a higher churn rate because of this.

Their kit is ok, they take on new passes and so on. Give them a go and if it’s not for you look for something else.

Jimmy McNulty:

yorkshire terrier:
Apply now if so,

Who do you work for Terrier?

I’m on containers out of Leeds,but I don’t broadcast who on here,
For anyone looking there loads of container hauliers in Leeds

yorkshire terrier:

So in other words the way the best paying, best working condition, run by the book and not expected to run bent operators run a company?

No doubt the box shifters you work for in Leeds are one of those that people unemployable anywhere else end up at.

If the OP is currently out of work he may as well give it a go, what’s the worse thing that can happen? They’ll gain a little experience, earn some money, and if they don’t like it then they have a stop gap between jobs

Tommy1MTB:
Alright,

Does anyone know much about maritime? Thinking of applying for a tramping job out of Leeds depot… heard mixed reviews from lads I’ve came across on the road.

Any info on wages/trucks, management or lack of :laughing:

Cheers :slight_smile:

I work for them, albeit another depot so can’t comment on Leeds because different office staff etc.

Its £530pw basic + £50 meal allowance. £13ph after 11 hours. Weekends £16ph. Don’t know the current night out money because I do days.

Typical big company stuff, expect health & safety spiel etc.

“Tramping” will likely be containers. Do yourself a favour and speak to drivers at the depot to see what the craic is regarding nights out, a fair few rail heads around Leeds so you will probably find it’s a lot of local work and you might struggle for regular nights out and to maximise earnings.

Conor:

yorkshire terrier:

So in other words the way the best paying, best working condition, run by the book and not expected to run bent operators run a company?

No doubt the box shifters you work for in Leeds are one of those that people unemployable anywhere else end up at.

Obviously must be the best if you say so,
I see and speak to there drivers regular and they don’t have a good thing to say but are too scared to grow a pair and air there views,also you will find that it’s maritime that lose there drivers with the other smaller established box firms keeping a steady team of drivers,it’s the larger ones that are getting the dross

Conor:

yorkshire terrier:

All I know about them is hearsay, but none of it was good.

A firm can be ran professionally, 100% by the book, and be well paid, …but that does not have to be done in the way that Maritime do it in terms of their alleged stinking attitudes towards their drivers.

I think a firm that feel the need to install a constant live feed camera in their cabs, to constantly monitor their drivers says it all in my book, and would be enough for any driver with a bit of backbone and self respect not to touch them with a barge pole.

Conor…why do you automatically jump to the conclusion that YT’s firm is at the direct opposite end of the spectrum in terms of the way it is ran, to the likes of Maritime, just because he presumably shares the same views about all this that I do.
…And to imply he is unemployable is just rude, pompous and well down to your usual standard of arrogance on here. :unamused:

these threads make me smile

surveillance / loads of rules/ multi drop/ run ragged /a shoit in the office its allus funny to read how many on this forum hate all this
instead want it all their way,the cushy job ,top dollar -where you are left to your own devices -but christ thats as boring as it gets. no challenge . and before somone says oh but i do have challenges in my job… yeh right

corij:

surveillance / loads of rules/ multi drop/ run ragged /a shoit in the office its allus funny to read how many on this forum hate all this
instead want it all their way,the cushy job ,top dollar -where you are left to your own devices -but christ thats as boring as it gets. no challenge . and before somone says oh but i do have challenges in my job… yeh right

I get above average pay in my job for a top gaffer who wants us to work,it’s not cushy it acfdir days work for a fair days pay,he trusts us he don’t watch us and gets respect and 100% out of me for that…
The point I’m making is maritime have all this corporate rubbish and because of this people think they are brilliant when in reality they ain’t

I did a 6 month stint with them at a different depot and found it ok. The money was decent/fair.
The only reason I left was because it’s a bit too micro managed for my liking, didn’t like using different units everyday and the very long boring waits at terminals and delivery points bored the ■■■■ off me.
The office staff on the whole were ok and I never got pushed into maxing my hours. In fact, I didn’t like the usual 8 o’clock starts, I’d much rather start early and get it over with. I was ‘only’ a day driver so the cab hoping wouldn’t be an issue with trampers.
I would say to anybody thinking about trying it give it a go. If you don’t need anything particularly challenging it’s an alright job. Just didn’t suit me.

corij:

Drivers like you also make me smile, …along with feeling a bit of contemptiousness tbh. :neutral_face:

Let’s take 2 of the things on your list,… run ragged and surveillance, (two that go hand in hand and are usually the symptoms of a co who have a cynical attitude towards their drivers)
Drivers like you (evidently) just accept it as ‘the norm’ go along with it and have no conflicting opinions towards it. :open_mouth:
(Well, if they have they usually aim them in the wrong direction :unamused: )
So the unfair treatment towards you continues, why you carry on blisfully ‘smiling’ at those who have the backbone to protest about it.

In my own personal case I’m relatively left to my own devices (working alongside a few others that are not :unamused: ), and yes I do have challenges, …ok certainly not dramatic death defying ones, and not rocket science either, but all type of stuff that pertains to the job of driving a 44 tonner, especially in my case driving in unsuitable environments for vehicle type to name one, a bit more challenging than a one drop Tesco.

I cope ok but could never call it as you say ‘‘boring’’ and yes I would like a few more quid for it.

yorkshire terrier:
I get above average pay in my job for a top gaffer who wants us to work,it’s not cushy it acfdir days work for a fair days pay,he trusts us he don’t watch us and gets respect and 100% out of me for that…

This^^^^
A lot of these up their own arse type firms who practice all this crap towards their drivers fail to see it is counter productive, and that you only reap what you sow…also as in the case of drivers like Corji and Conor it would seem. :neutral_face:
Illustrated in your case mate, you gladly and willinglly give 100%+ only because you are treated as an adult and a professional by your firm.

robroy:

yorkshire terrier:

This^^^^
A lot of these up their own arse type firms who practice all this crap towards their drivers fail to see it is counter productive, and that you only reap what you sow…also as in the case of drivers like Corji and Conor it would seem. :neutral_face:
Illustrated in your case mate, you gladly and willinglly give 100%+ only because you are treated as an adult and a professional by your firm.

An example of that a few weeks back at our place, started at 8am doing a day in the yard where you finish at 4:30pm. Call comes in at 4pm, need to swap a broken down trailer in Cardigan this evening for them to carry on seeing patients 9am the next day. I basically ask whats the address? which trailer do I take? and get my unit under. Another driver who was already home gets back in the car to come back to work to help me. We get down there, book in a hotel, get up early the next morning and swap the trailers and screening started again at 9am no bother.

If we were treated bad they would have needed to cancel that mornings work as I would have gone home and said I will leave tomorrow at 4am, not my problem.