CPC your views

I’ve done my ADR which was interesting and well taught. I’ve also done the sit in the class room and listen type 7 hours and can honestly say I learnt nothing and the 2 tacho courses were so badly taught and wrong that I started getting infringements when I was OK before. Your views.

The DCPC is seen as both a money making scheme and a complete waste of time.
But in the light of a certificate of professionalism which is much needed in the industry, the DCPC is what’s needed, however it has been poorly set up.
Allowing drivers to sit the same 7 hour course is pointless, a set syllabus should be put in place, and each 7 hour module should be different.
Modules should comprise of Driver regs and WTD, Vehicle daily checks and load security, Driving assessments, H&S along with basic first aid, additional hours could be attained through course attendance such as ADR.
But there should be a standard level otherwise there’s no point attending, just hand your money over and get the hours.
Stobarts 2 day induction is classed as 2 x 7 hour DCPC, half a day of which is about Stobarts as a company, pointless to anyone outside Stobarts.

Grumpy Dad:
Stobarts 2 day induction is classed as 2 x 7 hour DCPC, half a day of which is about Stobarts as a company, pointless to anyone outside Stobarts.

I was told not so long ago that DVSA are stopping companies including inductions as any form of DCPC. As you’ve rightly said, all that’s discussed is the company ways/history/figures etc which bears no relevance to the DCPC and the spirit in which it was set up.

I’m with you that it should be structured, educational and certainly not the same course 5x over.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Grumpy Dad:

In its current state - yes. Too much theory and “how to spot an immigrant hiding in your van’s cab” instead of things like, strapping/securing a real load and using a digital tachograph (cough…manual entries…cough)

ETS:

Grumpy Dad:

In its current state - yes. Too much theory and “how to spot an immigrant hiding in your van’s cab” instead of things like, strapping/securing a real load and using a digital tachograph (cough…manual entries…cough)

Never done the how to spot an immigrant, have done digital tachographs and load securing.

Conor:
Never done the how to spot an immigrant, have done digital tachographs and load securing.

Sorry, I realize now they’re talking about periodic CPC training. I’ve only done the initial (Mod 4 ?)

CPC…absolute waste of my time, it taught me nothing i didnt already know…its a money making scam, and thank god i am not going to put over £300 towards it anymore, as i renewed my licence this month without the HGV part of it.
The whole thing needs to be re-thought out to teach other aspects like First aid, etc, something that will benefit drivers.

Last time I did same.course twice . Got told it’s ok can do the same one 5 times.

This year’s doing my head in.
Wasn’t at this company for.last cpc.
Been asking them.since Christmas. They keep saying we’re book.you on courses sat mornings unpaid
Fair enough I guess

Finally got an email we have booked you on a course starting 13th July and every Saturday for 5 weeks.
Talk about leaving it late. And God 5 weeks in a row.
Why couldt arrange it earlier and 1 a.month

It’s a little bit what you make it, in that if you’re willing to get involved, ask questions, and such, you can learn stuff.
It does need better structure, but until there is a pass/fail element, it is relatively useless to talk about structure. If a pass/fail element is to be added, it’s likely the bar will be set low, because, y’know, there’s a driver shortage, and no one wants to make that worse, do they?
For me, I’ll be booking 1 a year, and cracking on.

I expect to be out come September, on my last course I asked questions and the guy didn’t know or gave wrong answers. I learnt such gems as ,A Ford Ka is the same as a Fiat 500 built in the same factory in Poland. He cant build a car port on side of his house because its on the old right of way between Edinburgh and London. You cant drive a unit if you have a C licence (balls) You cant drive a bendy bus without D+E more (balls). The rest of the time we watched you tube videos. Does the P really stand for professional.

4 of us are travelling to Coventry on Thursday for a ‘Vulnerable Road Users- Compliance and Wellbeing ’ 7 hour lecture …again!
free beer and sandwiches tho’ :smiley:

Right…So we change the current format from going through the motions/ticking boxes and complete bull crap, to a proper in depth educational course with an exam at the end of it.
The ones who pass will be…

Proven good drivers who can take digest stuff in a classroom environment, and who are competent in exam situations.

Crap drivers who have the same classroom abilities as above.

Those like me who have little interest in all that ■■■■■■■■, but can do the job and know enough of said ■■■■■■■■ to wing it.

Those that fail will be…

Good proven drivers who are well capable, but fall down academically in classroom situations.

Those like me who have an offday, and ■■■■ the exam up because they can only digest stuff that they are actually intersted in.

So what will it achieve exactly??,
Be careful what you wish for.

Remedy…Do an initial course as it is now with a 2 hour refresher every year, and stop training new drivers only to pass a test on a designated test route…but learn em to DRIVE. :bulb:

I don’t know why a speed awareness can’t count towards it to be honest.
Probably learn more on that course than.ypu would on many cpc.modules.

And also why is it new drivers as I’m my mate who recently passed his c2 don’t have to do as many modules amd.same amount as we do?
As surely be more beneficial for new drivers that are still learning the trade.

edd1974:
why is it new drivers as I’m my mate who recently passed his c2 don’t have to do as many modules amd.same amount as we do?
As surely be more beneficial for new drivers that are still learning the trade.

There are all sorts of ‘‘Why is it’’ type questions concerning the dcpc mate.
They all have one answer…
Because it aint real or a genuine course, it’s there to make things look on the surface like something is being done, a formality, a PR excercise, …whilst (successfully) simultaneously creating a money making entire industry. :bulb:

Robroyis right in part. Its not a money making industry is it ? The DCPC in common with agencies are creating a parasitic drag effect. They are eating our lunch. The haulage and passenger transport industries managed fine for more than a hundred years without either.

Great idea and very much needed in the industry but an absolute shambles in way it’s been implemented and the people who are deemed “qualified” to teach it.

They should provide bunks, it is attend only, there is no requirement to participate and no tests to do, I fell asleep on the last course i did.

its all good and well educating drivers but what about the numptys in the office who have their own ideas on the rules and legislation if its good enough for drivers its good enough for all involved in road transport

crannman:
its all good and well educating drivers but what about the numptys in the office who have their own ideas on the rules and legislation if its good enough for drivers its good enough for all involved in road transport

:unamused: :unamused:

crannman:

As a driver it is YOUR responsibility to manage your hours accordingly, it is NOT down to the office regardless of how a route is planned to meet customers needs.
As a driver it is also your discretion as wether to extend your spread over, reduce a rest period or drive an extra hour.