Anyone see why I've picked up driving infringement?

Is there anyone sat around bored enough who could look at this printout and see what the problem is.

Infringement is for exceeding 4.5 hrs driving without break timed at 1627.

I have starred breaks and you can see I had a 27min break, about 30 mins drive and then a 38 min break, so my timer is reset from the last star I have out on the print out.

The driving time from that last break to card out at the end of the printout comes in at 261 mins/ 4.35 hours.

The boss is being a ■■■■■ and I don’t want to sign for it until I know why I’m in the wrong.

261 minutes is 4 hours and 21 minutes driving.
So no infringment at all.

Silly question, but does the printout match the infringment date? It seems odd that the infringment states a 34 minute excess over 4.5 hours.

Your 1h2m break reset your driving time.

You then didn’t do any driving before the 27m break, this means it could be used for WTD break but not driving as you hadn’t done any.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Your 1h2m break reset your driving time.

You then didn’t do any driving before the 27m break, this means it could be used for WTD break but not driving as you hadn’t done any.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ah. Great spot. Thanks. Lesson learnt

This is what I see.

You took a break at 08:06 which has reset your driving time. Then it looks like at 09:13, you took a 27min break, but you haven’t done any driving in between those two breaks. So I don’t think that 27min break will count towards a break from driving. So then you take a 38min break at 10:38, followed by 2x15min breaks later on. Now it means you have taken your breaks the wrong way round. Needs to be a 15min break first then your 30min break later. I think that’s why you have an infringement. You probably would have been fine if you drove for at least 1min after your 27min break at 09:13, that way your 38 min break at 10:38 would have reset your driving time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also did 4h 35m after your 38 min break (which would count as a 15 for driving break) but there was no 30 min break subsequently so you’ve gone 4h 35m without a 45 (or a 15/30)

Yes, it’s strange, sometimes it can work to your advantage to leave the tacho on “other work” when you could quite legitimately have it on rest, and you can get an infringement for having too much rest.

The 1h02m break reset your 4.5 driving time counter.
However the new 4.5 hr counter didn’t start until you started driving at 09.40. From this time you didn’t have a 45m break or 15m then 30. Even though you had plenty of break, the first 38m break would be recorded as a 15m because it is the first break and the next breaks weren’t over 30 so didn’t count.
All the driving from 09.40 has accumulated and 4.5 hrs driving was reached at the time of the infringement.

Easily done, wouldn’t sweat it.

If I split my two breaks for any reason whilst in the same yard, I make apoint of “driving a bit across the yard” to make sure the two breaks both register, and then clear down after taking the second one that must be at least 30 minutes.

Ive had a 15mim break if im.close to 6 hours working.
If I’m waiting ages to get tipped.
After 15 mins put it back on other work while waiting then.drive off.
And I’ve never had an imfrimgemmt for it

He’s had over 2 hours total of breaks there and got an infringement (and yes I see why)

But just shows, you could start your shift. Do a lap of your yard until it shows 1 minute driving done. Have 15 mins break. Drive for 4h29 then have 30 minutes break, then drive another 4h30. You will then have driven 8 hours 59 minutes with only 30 mins break and that’s legal.

This bloke here had 2 hours plus of breaks just not in the correct sequence and it’s “illegal”.

The drivers hours has to be black and white I know otherwise it’s open to interpretation, but still. It’s not fair you could say.

Rowley010:
He’s had over 2 hours total of breaks there and got an infringement (and yes I see why)

But just shows, you could start your shift. Do a lap of your yard until it shows 1 minute driving done. Have 15 mins break. Drive for 4h29 then have 30 minutes break, then drive another 4h30. You will then have driven 8 hours 59 minutes with only 30 mins break and that’s legal.

This bloke here had 2 hours plus of breaks just not in the correct sequence and it’s “illegal”.

The drivers hours has to be black and white I know otherwise it’s open to interpretation, but still. It’s not fair you could say.

You could argue the other way and say it’s entirely fair BECAUSE they’re in black and white.

Yes I get it, but you need to understand why the breaks are split in the way they are - to ensure a decent time for a break and mot a 15 min hop.

Me? I say bring back 3 x 15mins :wink:

Guess it can work both ways. I’m surprised they haven’t closed that loophole though by adding a rule for a minimum driving period of something like 15 mins or 30 mins to allow a split break to qualify as a full break. I know coach drivers like to do a drive around the block, record a minute or 2 of driving and stick it on 15 then they only have to keep their passengers waiting 30 mins and not 45 whilst down the road.

I knew the rules so it’s falls with me, Ive done it a few times where I’ve waited for tipping and got my 45 out the way, so I use other work for a while and then get a 30/15 in l. Just so that later in the day when I need another break I only need to clock a 30 (that’s if it suits me)

I’ve just got lucky in the past and next time I will shunt back and forth couple of times.

Least if the question ever gets asked I can explain how I made the mistake, whereas before I was adamant that I’d done nowt wrong. So thanks.

Thing is mate it’s a minor detail, so I wouldn’t worry.
Just sign a printout pointing out it was a complete genuine miscalculation and a mistake…job done.

If you had gone way over your driving time or way under your rest period or something serious, then ok it’s something to worry about in terms of maybe getting fined out of your hard earned.
Thing is this is exactly what ‘‘They’’ want, drivers biting their nails and ■■■■■■■■ their kecks over trivialities connected to tachos and driver’s hours, way I see it is if you show any degree of concern it just encourages them.
That is why on the seldom occasions I get a minor infringement I just sign the ■■■■ thing, saying ‘‘Aye whatever, give me a good seeing to’’ or something similar in my best ‘‘could not give a ■■■■’’ attitude… and it annoys ‘‘them’’ which is the desired effect. :laughing:

No need to even sign a printout, sign the infringement, try not to make the same mistake again and move on.

Sent from my mobile.

your break at 15:34 should have been a 30 you have a second period of driving where you took a 15 as you have split the break second must be a 30 hope this helps infringement is correct

Alfa1M:
Is there anyone sat around bored enough who could look at this printout and see what the problem is.

Infringement is for exceeding 4.5 hrs driving without break timed at 1627.

I have starred breaks and you can see I had a 27min break, about 30 mins drive and then a 38 min break, so my timer is reset from the last star I have out on the print out.

The driving time from that last break to card out at the end of the printout comes in at 261 mins/ 4.35 hours.

The boss is being a ■■■■■ and I don’t want to sign for it until I know why I’m in the wrong.

16:27 to 17:01 not enough drive time breaks before you finished 34 mins over drive time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

robroy:
Thing is mate it’s a minor detail, so I wouldn’t worry.
Just sign a printout pointing out it was a complete genuine miscalculation and a mistake…job done.

If you had gone way over your driving time or way under your rest period or something serious, then ok it’s something to worry about in terms of maybe getting fined out of your hard earned.
Thing is this is exactly what ‘‘They’’ want, drivers biting their nails and ■■■■■■■■ their kecks over trivialities connected to tachos and driver’s hours, way I see it is if you show any degree of concern it just encourages them.
That is why on the seldom occasions I get a minor infringement I just sign the [zb] thing, saying ‘‘Aye whatever, give me a good seeing to’’ or something similar in my best ‘‘could not give a [zb]’’ attitude… and it annoys ‘‘them’’ which is the desired effect. :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats about it for me.
most of the times im tugged the carpark is like an irish truckfest so a minor whoopsie isnt really a big deal compared to some thats already parked up.
basically its " if that pish makes me a perpetrator of evil,then just do what you need to do and get on with it,then we can both get home for our tea."
once you have established that your not a snowflake fanny regarding tacho offences then theres no point in them making out its the next best thing to a murder inquiry.
some of the other dudes offences would make your eyes water with sometimes,over 100 infringements at a time…they still just get a 24 hour parkup though,then wait and see if the big stick crosses the irish sea which it seldom does,and certainly never into the south…crack on drive… :smiley: