Cooking in the cab

when I worked at Stobart, we had a complete ban on having any gas stoves or any fueled stoves in our cabs at any time. This was due to one of the drivers who had a gas canister explode in his cab. Understandable really, however why is it so dangerous for some firms to adopt this policy and for others to ignore any risks. Surely this shouldn’t be dangerous and banned for a handful if companies and completely ok for others. Maybe companies like Stobart actually think more of their drivers safety?

I’m sure the safety and welfare of their drivers is paramount to Stobart and doubtless they spec all their vehicles with fridges and microwave ovens in order that their drivers can satisfy such a basic human need as a hot meal. :wink:

So one driver had a canister explode in his cab so they ban them, meanwhile countless bridge strikes later they just crack on. Makes perfect sense [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
So one driver had a canister explode in his cab so they ban them, meanwhile countless bridge strikes later they just crack on. Makes perfect sense [emoji849]

It’s just the same as one tool pulling off a bay with someone on the leveller, so we all have to hand keys in and sit on plastic torture devices disguised as chairs watching crap daytime TV on a wonky telly.

The gas stoves are so efficient but it is a worry that something could go wrong, it would be interesting to know the circumstances that caused it to expode

Sploom:
The gas stoves are so efficient but it is a worry that something could go wrong, it would be interesting to know the circumstances that caused it to expode

I’ve only recently got a gas stove and kettle mainly to have a brew when I park up at night and also saves a small fortune on takeaway coffees. I always take the canister out when the kettle has boiled and store it separately, takes away the risk of leaking.

:unamused: Here we go again

switchlogic:
:roll: Here we go again

Luke you missed a perfect opportunity to plug your new monthly article in Truck & Driver :laughing:

Take note!

I’ve deleted three posts already, any more personal attacks and the thread itself goes in the bin.

It’s quite clear that some of you have a problem with others, hit the button that allows you to block them and you wont see anything they post.

None of us mods or admins have the time to waste sorting out your childish baiting of each other, so put a stop to it voluntarily, or keep on until one of us gets ■■■■■■ off with it enough that you find your freedom of speech privileges have been revoked.

I can’t make it any clearer than that.

newmercman:
Take note!

I’ve deleted three posts already, any more personal attacks and the thread itself goes in the bin.

It’s quite clear that some of you have a problem with others, hit the button that allows you to block them and you wont see anything they post.

None of us mods or admins have the time to waste sorting out your childish baiting of each other, so put a stop to it voluntarily, or keep on until one of us gets ■■■■■■ off with it enough that you find your freedom of speech privileges have been revoked.

are you Uktramps secret lover by any chance ■■ :laughing:

Any secret lovers I may have are far removed from the lorry world, I like my lovers to have an air of sophistication about them, a nice bum and a decent pair of chesticles are also a prerequisite, I think it’s safe to say that UKtramp has none of these attributes.

However, they are posting within forum guidelines and as such are free to post whatever they want so long as it has some relevance to transport, even if it is complete drivel. Because they are staying within the aforementioned guidelines there is no need for any involvement from the mods or admins, that’s how it works here, but those of you that respond to their posts with personal attacks are not staying within the guidelines and their posts will be deleted when they come to our notice.

It’s pretty simple really, get personal and your post will have been a waste of time, as it will be removed, continue to do so and you get free admission to the naughty boys and girls club.

Sploom:

It was outside the Grandstand Coke warehouse at J41 Wakefield, happened a few months before I started my very short stobbart stint, we were told by at the induction the driver had clipped the cooker while pottering about in his cab getting ready, stepped out of the cab to close the trailer doors and his morning call of nature, opened the door to get back in with a cig in his mouth and the gas ignited, was supposed to have thrown him out.
Wasn’t there so didn’t witness it.

newmercman:
Take note!

Knock it on the head now , sure as ■■■■ there’ll be more drivel tomorrow , the next day , and the one after that . Give yourself an easy life mate because you know where this is headed :unamused:

It doesn’t work like that mate, left alone the whole site will turn into one big argument and nothing of interest will be posted and that will be the end of something that many people have put a lot of time and effort into.

It’s not like anyone reading the crap I deleted would be entertained by it, it wasn’t banter or ■■■■ taking that could be seen as funny, a bit of a laugh between the lads sort of stuff. Trust me, it doesn’t stress me out, I read it, hit the delete button and with a bit of computer magic, the crap disappears, it’s quite rewarding actually.

I meant the thread not the moderating :laughing:

When I was at Wincanton we were banned from using gas stoves. The reason we were told was because a driver burnt the cab to the ground by spraying polish whilst boiling the kettle. The fumes ignited because they were flammable!!! Wow! Who’d have thought it [emoji57]
Anyway, despite me having a built in microwave I still like my stove so still use it. Just don’t spray flammables or leave it alone when in use. Easy really.

About 10 years ago I was a flt driver.
There was a truck parked outside our unit.
Was there for days .
Then the police turned up and.found driver dead in his cab.
We got told he hie died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Caused by gas from.his cooker.
Not sure how though but is a little worrying.

You always need to replace the oxygen consumed by the fire and have adequate ventilation to allow the burned gases escape, both windows open 6" and the roof hatch open are sufficient to do this, that’s not scientific, but that’s what I used to do and I’m still here as living proof.

I always open the roof hatch and a window a touch to allow airflow.
If worried about it carbon monoxide detectors aren’t expensive [emoji1360]

Also when not in use make sure your stove is stored in the box it came in out of the sun
Or get an inverter and microwave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk