Double manning hours

Story short .my mate has recently passed his c2. Is getting work from an agency.
He rang me earlier.
Tomorrow he has a days work double man crew driving to Southampton and back…
He was asking me.how it works .
And I duno never done it.
All I know is technically the law says 2nd driver has be on board at start of shift or picked up within 10 miles is it? Any help on hours regulations etc.
As reading between lines think the idea is my mate drives there. Deliver what ever.
Ends his shift then. Other fella inserts card drives back.
Which technically illegal.
But no.doubt people.do it.

edd1974:
Story short .my mate has recently passed his c2. Is getting work from an agency.
He rang me earlier.
Tomorrow he has a days work double man crew driving to Southampton and back…
He was asking me.how it works .
And I duno never done it.
All I know is technically the law says 2nd driver has be on board at start of shift or picked up within 10 miles is it? Any help on hours regulations etc.
As reading between lines think the idea is my mate drives there. Deliver what ever.
Ends his shift then. Other fella inserts card drives back.
Which technically illegal.
But no.doubt people.do it.

Both cards must be in machine, whoever is driving should pit card in slot one and passenger in slot two. When drivers swap the cards need swapping too.

Driver two must be collected within one hour of driver one starting, but both should finish at the same time.

The day is 30hrs long (So the pair can work for 21hrs and rest for 9hrs)

Slot 2 records POA but every time a driver inserts into slot 2 the first 45 mins or part thereof counts as BREAK

Toonsy and Rog seem perfectly correct to me.
You’ve a legal 21hr day available to you. Should be enough for most of us, surely?
Going over that, or making false entries etc may be thought of as “technically illegal” up until the moment you’re caught, when the “technically” falls away and you’re left with plain “illegal”.

So basically driver 2 in slot 2 when he drives swop card to slot 1.
Does he have to alter the mode while in slot 2 when they take a break?

And then crack on do 21 hours.
Glad i.dont double man 13 is more than enough for me.

edd1974:
So basically driver 2 in slot 2 when he drives swop card to slot 1.
Does he have to alter the mode while in slot 2 when they take a break?

And then crack on do 21 hours.
Glad i.dont double man 13 is more than enough for me.

Slot 2 will record POA automatically when the vehicle is moving. The first 45 mins of that time is counted as break even though it’s showing POA. If the vehicle stops are you’re both on break there’s nothing wrong with recording it like that and changing the mode but once you move slot 2 will again change to POA.

It’s not uncommon to double man a job that might be a night out risk so that both drivers can get home and the truck back in the yard.

Obviously I don’t know anything about the company but it doesn’t mean automatically you will do or need to do a 21 hour shift.

Depedns how much daily drive time is taken up and how much other work. But double manning you can be back quicker than you could on your own if using the first 45 mins of POA as break where you can.

So in theory say your driving Southampton to Aberdeen.
As mentioned about the 1st 45 mins counts as break then reverts to poa
So could you drive 4.5 hours. Swop drivers. He does his 4.5 swop again etc.
And not stop for a break as in park up not moving. Get out cab stretch legs.
As be having you break on the.move?
So in theory could you drive all.that distance not stopping.for a proper break out the cab?
Not like I double man don’t want to.just curious

edd1974:
So in theory could you drive all.that distance not stopping.for a proper break out the cab?

Yes.
Wonderful ain`t it? :frowning:
You could end up on a driving shift about 21hrs after starting your first driving shift, with the only rest being in the passenger seat of a moving truck.

edd1974:

That’s how we used to double man to Costa Brava/Barcelona/Milan/Germany/ski resorts and others.

Of course the devil is in the detail because you put up with that and the same driving back because you get a few days down time, expenses paid, when you get to the destination…

ROG:
Slot 2 records POA but every time a driver inserts into slot 2 the first 45 mins or part thereof counts as BREAK

Interestingly ROG, one analysis system approved for the DVSA ER scheme, shows that first period of POA in slot 2 as POA but allocates it as rest. This showed when the driver concerned only had 8:30 between shifts (moving from single to double crewed rules for the new shift) and his card was in slot 2 for the first 3 hours. No Infringement shown. When run on 2 alternate systems, both clearly, and correctly, highlighted the 8:30 daily rest (between shifts) as an infringement.

Franglais:

edd1974:

Yes.
Wonderful ain`t it? :frowning:
You could end up on a driving shift about 21hrs after starting your first driving shift, with the only rest being in the passenger seat of a moving truck.

I think you’d have to be going some to get a 21 hour shift in, but done quite a bit of double man driving over the years and if I trusted the other driver I found sleeping in the passenger seat no problem, never managed to get to sleep in the bunk though, just seemed really weird, but work with several drivers who would get in the bunk at the start of my shift and all I heard from them for 4 hours was a bit of snoring. (they weren’t all in the bunk at the same time. :laughing: ) I think they were the best to double drive with, decent drivers, who got on with the job, but didn’t feel the need to tell you their life story for the entire shift.

However if I didn’t trust the other driver, then there was no way I could sleep.

Quite a chunk of my driving was double drivers, I won’t say manning as the other was the wife at the time ! It was a bloody good earner to the far end of Spain and back on a regular run. We both loved it. Shame it came to an end, and sleeping in the bunk on the move was easy for me .

3 wheeler:
Quite a chunk of my driving was double drivers, I won’t say manning as the other was the wife at the time ! It was a bloody good earner to the far end of Spain and back on a regular run.

I’m guessing…

Continental Express?

We did mostly double man and rarely was it close to 21 hours, ours was mostly to do with security. As long as you get on with the other guy and are happy with his driving , it can be a decent job

Only really max out hours if doing distance across Europe and the load is urgent or valuable.

F1 teams double man to move kit between back to back races, single man when there’s two week gap.

Last year Austria to UK, was double manned plus a change of driver team in northern France to keep trucks rolling.