Strapping hay/straw

Anyone can share sone guudes / experience about strapping hay ideally with some pics? I take the middle bit is straightforward so the while the headboard and the rear is more exciting…

2 loads out of hundreds i have done up to Scotland, all large bales 2 straps on front and rear stack and 1 on the stacks in between, round bales 1 over each plus criss-cross front to back.
Once loaded and strapped, stop after about half an hour and re-tighten the straps, then check them every time you stop.

Length Ropes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d have some pulling at roughly 45° from the front down towards the back and same from the back pulling down and forward and preferably with a tall headboard

Here’s my effort , probably my first ever straw load :stuck_out_tongue:
I did strap it to death :blush: I think on later loads I used 2straps per bale and crossed at the back .
I probably only did about 6 or 8 loads in total before I changed jobs , I used extra leverage on the ratchets and never had to retighten any but obviously I’m no expert !

Damned I pad can someone right my load please :laughing:

Follow this as a guide
afia.org.au/files/Assessmen … -25314.pdf
You can keep tightening down on straw it will go slack so need to check it regularly

Mikey D:
Here’s my effort , probably my first ever straw load :stuck_out_tongue:
I did strap it to death :blush: I think on later loads I used 2straps per bale and crossed at the back .
I probably only did about 6 or 8 loads in total before I changed jobs , I used extra leverage on the ratchets and never had to retighten any but obviously I’m no expert !

Damned I pad can someone right my load please :laughing:

Well that is impressive strapping! :laughing:

UKtramp:
Follow this as a guide
afia.org.au/files/Assessmen … traw-Sum!?? ?mary-25314.pdf
You can keep tightening down on straw it will go slack so need to check it regularly

It says page not found…

Thanks guys, gives me an idea.

Can i have some more pictures show cross strapping at the back?

Also a bit confused: dont we need to cross strap at the front? Its much taller than the headboard, does not it go over without cross strapping at the front when you brake?

Priest:

UKtramp:
Follow this as a guide
afia.org.au/files/Assessmen … -25314.pdf

It says page not found…

I fixed the link, I noticed there was some rogue characters so I deleted them and now it works ( fixed in this quote too )

Priest:

Also a bit confused: dont we need to cross strap at the front? Its much taller than the headboard, does not it go over without cross strapping at the front when you brake?

I wouldn’t pull it without having straps pulling back at the front, your brakes are a lot stronger than your engine.

You need to secure it for an emergency stop, not normal driving.

In the olden days before straps, it was all handball.square bales.
Then a rope on the front headboard hooks, both sides left and right side,.and leading right to the back of the trailer over the top of the load.and double hitched.
Then every hook roped and hitched.
The theory was the rope across would tighten up the front to back ropes.
If you drove like a ■■■■ you lost it…end of.

Another piece of Rob’s useless info for you, :laughing: …( unless of course in the unlikely event that you come across it in a pub quiz one night. :laughing: :laughing: )

Priest:

When loaded with the large square bales of straw there is no need for front to backs, in the thousands of loads iv’e done, non have ever slipped forwards under braking, only ever use them on round bales and small bales to keep them tight together.

Some examples from other countries,

Priest:

Using Mikey D`s picture

I’ve often wondered over the course of transportation how much is lost because whenever I follow one it’s just shedding strands of straw all over the front of my unit constantly :laughing:

Problems start when the farmer squashes those big Hestons on by pushing from behind and if you don’t strap the back across well they expand after you set off until the point where they fall off and you have less than half the length of a bale so they can’t be put back on easy .

toonsy:
I’ve often wondered over the course of transportation how much is lost because whenever I follow one it’s just shedding strands of straw all over the front of my unit constantly :laughing:

Very surprised they haven’t jumped on that, as they do everything else, to screw a few quid out of transport and drivers. :unamused:

robroy:

toonsy:

Very surprised they haven’t jumped on that, as they do everything else, to screw a few quid out of transport and drivers. :unamused:

To get done for that means you really have pulled the short straw …

robroy:

toonsy:

How long before a lentil eating tree hugging soap dodging do gooder complains that it irritates their allergies, like everything else it’s open to snowflake attack