New Driver Sat Nav

Just got my first tipper job. The only thing I need is a satnav. Are there any recommendations?

Ive seen tom tom etc… selling for a few hundred. But then ive seen none branded ones selling for a hundred or so. Are these any good?

Couple of examples

discountsatnavs.co.uk/?gclid … fXEALw_wcB

aguriworld.co.uk/product-catego … pREALw_wcB

Yep the Aguri ones are good I have the TX720 model and been very happy with it

Hey, ive been using the “Snooper db8500” for the last 8 weeks and its not let me down, i drive a car transporter where my height fluctuates all the time so this has been a huge godsend even right down too the inch . Ive heard mixed reviews about it but i really Enjoy using it.

i want too get the Garmin Dezl 780 as one of my colleagues use it and its remarkable

I wouldn’t suggest buying one of those 50 quid knock offs from Amazon as another one of my colleagues got one as hes new to the company, but hes already come face too face with some ■■■■ quenching bridges and width restrictions

Is it just local tipper work?
Here’s a revolutionary idea/curveball, …why not just learn the routes and the job first,.and move up to a sat nav if you think you still need a one.

i managed to find my way around on tippers for 25 years with no sat nav :astonished:

After…

The fifth run (with another four to go) along the same road to and from the load to the tip, a Satnav will seem a pointless investment.

Just to add.

Its not local work, its going all over the U.K. Im from Birmingham and I will be heading in any direction over a 5 day period before arriving back home.

Im just looking for ideas on what people use themselves. I have looked at a couple of suggestions

Mate if you’ve an old tablet kicking about, get on the App Store and buy CoPilot it’s ideal costs £90 for the year and will update at any time needed if connected to the internet
Or you could just get monthly subscriptions till you buy a TomTom or something

Grumpy Dad:
Mate if you’ve an old tablet kicking about, get on the App Store and buy CoPilot it’s ideal costs £90 for the year and will update at any time needed if connected to the internet

I have co pilot and it took me down a road with a low bridge then told me there a low bridge about 100 yards before said bridge. I think maybe I have set it up incorrectly lol

Get a tom tom truck with traffic and stick it on the windscreen I know loads of truckers who use them just for the speed readout, useful going down hill to avoid looking at the speedo.

Newcastle22:

Grumpy Dad:

I have co pilot and it took me down a road with a low bridge then told me there a low bridge about 100 yards before said bridge. I think maybe I have set it up incorrectly lol

There’s a CoPilot Truck and CoPilot Car, i never had a problem and have used it across Europe including the East

i have always endorsed Co pilot, for the price and for the features its a decent piece of software. for a stand alone sat nav, Garmin although expensive is hard to beat.

Grumpy Dad:

Newcastle22:

Grumpy Dad:

There’s a CoPilot Truck and CoPilot Car, i never had a problem and have used it across Europe including the East

Yeah I have the co pilot truck. It was most likely my error

robroy:
Is it just local tipper work?
Here’s a revolutionary idea/curveball, …why not just learn the routes and the job first,.and move up to a sat nav if you think you still need a one.

This ,or save your dough just google earth satellite .i look on it for tyre tracks to see which way others have turned :smiley:

Get yourself a Phillips Truckers Navigator map, it’s brilliant for finding even the smallest of farms

Based on the price of those Aguri ones, I’d personally spend a little more and get the Tomtom Trucker 6250 simply because it includes live traffic.

I’ve seen a number of these companies disappear leaving people with no updates which is one of the strong points for navs vs maps. Less chance with Garmin or Tomtom as that’s their whole business.

No sat nav is perfect and you might gave fun depending where the tipper is going, eg: building sites are harder to find or farms and of course but that plus Google maps / a truck map are a decent combo. They don’t like tiny backroads.

Once you’ve been doing this long enough to claim to have known god as a little lad, then you wont need one. :slight_smile:

Some good comments here guys, thank you.

Going to look for ones with real time traffic, free updates etc… the tomtom 6250 looks good, just the cost I need to deal with. Coming from a very low paid part time role means I might go without for a couple of weeks untill I am paid

Aguri was started by some guys who started or worked for Snooper.

ukjamesuk:
Get a tom tom truck with traffic and stick it on the windscreen I know loads of truckers who use them just for the speed readout, useful going down hill to avoid looking at the speedo.

Why do you need to see how fast your going downhill, just let it go whooosh.

I’m in agreement with TrevHCS, I got the TT6250 and it’s great at alerting you to traffic problems and (more importantly IMO) letting you know how long the delay is. It’s not perfect by any means but unlike my recent Garmin purchase ( :imp: ) I don’t regret the TomTom purchase at all.