Any advanced drivers?

Personally I have done advanced driving courses for cars, motorcycles and LGV’s albeit quite a few years ago. I did find it improved my driving and I learnt a lot of new stuff from it which has benifited me ever since.
Some say they are a waste of time (usually those that have never done them) but I cannot see how the even good concientious drivers would not learn a bit more. I do know the courses have changed since I did them anyway (no running commentry anymore?) but I would be interested to hear any views?

With general regards to LGV drivers the advanced proves easily to pass because they already have most of the skills necessary - average 1.2 drives prior to test
Most car drivers on the other hand … 5.6 drives prior to test

I know this because I was a senior IAM observer for 18+ years

ROG:
With general regards to LGV drivers the advanced proves easily to pass because they already have most of the skills necessary - average 1.2 drives prior to test

Really? Are we talking about a recent advanced course? I could maybe understand what you say is true from newly passed drivers however what would be your view on drivers that have developed bad driving habits and complacency over the years. Let’s also remember the LGV test is a basic test.

Let’s also remember a lot have trouble passing their LGV test. They seem to find it difficult.

The police sent me on a course a few years ago :wink:

Personally can’t see many doing an advanced course in LGV as who has access to one for the test unless their company puts them up for it- which I doubt many will !

Looked into doing a course for the car and nearly every place I looked it was provide own vehicle , assume LGV is same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

ROG:

Really? Are we talking about a recent advanced course? I could maybe understand what you say is true from newly passed drivers however what would be your view on drivers that have developed bad driving habits and complacency over the years. Let’s also remember the LGV test is a basic test.

Let’s also remember a lot have trouble passing their LGV test. They seem to find it difficult.

What’s the matter do those stats not fit in with your narrative of LGV drivers being useless? As in all professions there are those who are below an acceptable standard and LGV driving is no different except we do it in the public eye so our mistakes are there for all to see. However the bad drivers are in a minority hence the thousands of safe deliveries made every day

However the bad drivers are in a minority hence the thousands of safe deliveries made every day

That is your opinion and you may well be right however just because a driver makes a safe delivery does not necessarily mean he has driven safely.

jakethesnake:
However the bad drivers are in a minority hence the thousands of safe deliveries made every day

That is your opinion and you may well be right however just because a driver makes a safe delivery does not necessarily mean he has driven safely.

Ok then arrived there without wreaking carnage you know exactly what I mean but because ROG has put up a stat that doesn’t suit your point of view you think it can’t be right. Next time you’re out in the road take your blinkers off and see how many accidents are averted by HGV drivers taking evasive action from idiots in cars if I so wished I could probably write off 3 or 4 cars a day and not be in the wrong yet I don’t and neither do thousands of other drivers

Let’s just remember the victim in all of this, poor old Mrs jakethesnake.
She has no ignore button and will probably bump him off in his sleep one night after one lecture too many

I am a long term member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists as well. I did it for cheaper insurance mainly but also because it had been twenty years since passing my test. I had a taxi and my insurance premium came down from £2,000 to about £850.00. There are other incentives like cheaper airport parking. I recommend becoming a member. You can do the commercial test in a small van ( by the way).

idrive:
Let’s just remember the victim in all of this, poor old Mrs jakethesnake.
She has no ignore button and will probably bump him off in his sleep one night after one lecture too many

:laughing: :laughing:

jakethesnake:
Personally I have done advanced driving courses for cars, motorcycles and LGV’s albeit quite a few years ago. I did find it improved my driving and I learnt a lot of new stuff from it which has benifited me ever since.
Some say they are a waste of time (usually those that have never done them) but I cannot see how the even good concientious drivers would not learn a bit more. I do know the courses have changed since I did them anyway (no running commentry anymore?) but I would be interested to hear any views?

Running commentary is still part of the test.

Advanced driver?.. :smiley:
Nah I don’t qualify, as I don’t own a beige Alan Partridge style safari jacket.and drIving gloves, I have got friends and a woman and I don’t bore the arse off people at parties with an annoying nasal voice, to the point of them avoiding me. :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though…I don’t profess to be any better a driver than anybody else but I’m confident in my abilities, I have a clean licence, and I don’t drive like a ■■■■, so therefore I feel like I’ve got absolutely nothing to prove, or feel the need, and nor am I mildly intetested in impressing anybody.

In my personal opinion if anybody feels the need to do it (when they do not have to) it just smacks of insecurity…a bit like renewing wedding vows ,…what’s the ■■■■ point? :unamused:

Most of these guys I have found are the type who criticise others with an air of superiority ( :bulb: hmmmm hang on a minute :bulb: :bulb: :laughing: ) whom you avoid, but they still latch on to you, and boast that they have ‘‘Never had an accident in 20 yrs’’…(but have witnessed dozens in their rear view mirrors. :laughing:)

Any advanced drivers? Yeah me, and that’s without doing a course.

No seriously though I haven’t but intend to and I think it’s very beneficial and like you say the ones who say it’s a waste of time are the ones who think they are the best driver ever since passing their car test and think after passing the L test there is nothing left to learn and most probably do dangerous manoeuvres and probably don’t know how to drive properly on a motorway.

I believe you have to still do a fluent commentary for the IAM masters but they dropped it for the first stage advanced test.

robroy:
Nah I don’t qualify, as I don’t own a beige Alan Partridge style safari jacket.and drIving gloves, I have got friends and a woman and I don’t bore the arse off people at parties with an annoying nasal voice, to the point of them avoiding me. :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though…I don’t profess to be any better a driver than anybody else but I’m confident in my abilities, I have a clean licence, and I don’t drive like a ■■■■, so therefore I feel like I’ve got absolutely nothing to prove, or feel the need, and nor am I mildly intetested in impressing anybody.

In my personal opinion if anybody feels the need to do it (when they do not have to) it just smacks of insecurity…a bit like renewing wedding vows ,…what’s the [zb] point? :unamused:

Most of these guys I have found are the type who criticise others with an air of superiority ( :bulb: hmmmm hang on a minute :bulb: :bulb: :laughing: ) whom you avoid, but they still latch on to you, and boast that they have ‘‘Never had an accident in 20 yrs’’…(but have witnessed dozens in their rear view mirrors. :laughing:)

Rob with what you say you clearly miss the point with what the advanced driving groups teach and what you could actually learn. Give a one off lesson a go and you might even agree with me that you’ve missed the point. It’s nothing to do with proving yourself or impressing people etc

Rowley010:

robroy:

In my personal opinion if anybody feels the need to do it (when they do not have to) it just smacks of insecurity…a bit like renewing wedding vows ,…what’s the [zb] point? :unamused:

Rob with what you say you clearly miss the point with what the advanced driving groups teach and what you could actually learn. Give a one off lesson a go and you might even agree with me that you’ve missed the point. It’s nothing to do with proving yourself or impressing people etc

I’d imageine he has better things to do with his time.

advanced-driving.co.uk/esse … g-courses/

Don’t know anything about this company but seems a few could benefit from something like this.
It’s a pity it’s not free!

Mazzer2:

jakethesnake:

Ok then arrived there without wreaking carnage you know exactly what I mean but because ROG has put up a stat that doesn’t suit your point of view you think it can’t be right. Next time you’re out in the road take your blinkers off and see how many accidents are averted by HGV drivers taking evasive action from idiots in cars if I so wished I could probably write off 3 or 4 cars a day and not be in the wrong yet I don’t and neither do thousands of other drivers

Really, I can’t with honestly say I see that happen very often. If an LGV driver has to take evasive action the chances are he has not planned ahead and probably not kept a safe distance in my opinion.

Thanks alamcculloch and Rowley010 for your input and more related to what I asked.

Check out chris Gilbert or reg local amongst others on YouTube. Both ex police advanced driving instructors. Even just watching some of their free videos you’ll see it’s interesting, that you could potentially learn something, and it’s not just some geeky thing where people want to go and be judgmental on others. Any one who’s interested in driving and you’d assume most professional drivers are, should check it out. Your taught how to get the best out of your car whilst also reducing maintenance cost and being a safer driver at the same time, and maybe get reduced insurance. So it’s win win all round really. It’s a more relaxed way of driving whilst making maximum progress so there’s plenty of fun in there as well on a twisty A or B road.