AdBlue level

Just had a new truck and had a few days when the adblue level has got down to 2 bars on the indicator. In this job I keep the truck at home and if I get 2-3 days of long distance to do I can’t go to the yard to top up. Going to keep a 5L jerry can on board as reserve. I think she is using too much but google says about 4-5 % usage is expected. For this truck that works out at about 4L per fuel tank fill.

I recall someone saying a while ago that if DVSA stop you they check the system isn’t tampered with and the level should be above 40% - is that true? On google I cannot find a minimum level suggested?

jessejazza:
I recall someone saying a while ago that if DVSA stop you they check the system isn’t tampered with and the level should be above 40% - is that true? On google I cannot find a minimum level suggested?

I wonder why? :laughing: :laughing:

To be fair that’s the first time I have heard that.

More RDC…

Made up stories. There is no minimum requirement, just top up when you need to.

You will not be prosecuted for having a small amount in your tank.

jessejazza:
In this job I keep the truck at home

If you keep the truck at home, that would be classed as the operating centre surely?

In which case, I am surprised your neighbours haven’t kicked off.

Ken.

Scania perchance? they bloody drink the stuff.

You mention jerry can, do not keep adblue in any steel container, it rusts it causes all sorts of grief with the system.

Trickydick:
You mention jerry can, do not keep adblue in any steel container, it rusts it causes all sorts of grief with the system.

Just keep eye out for an old ad blue canister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Trickydick:

Just keep eye out for an old ad blue canister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise man would only use unopened sealed containers that way when not if but when the adblue system goes wrong they cant point the finger at the driver.
Also Iirc max storage time for adblue is 6 months.

Why keep it in the cab when most places you can fill up with diesel also have adblue too. Should be able to get that on the fuelcard as its dirt cheap.

Some newer trucks do seem to use more than others.

trevHCS:
Why keep it in the cab when most places you can fill up with diesel also have adblue too. Should be able to get that on the fuelcard as its dirt cheap.

Some newer trucks do seem to use more than others.

Its far from dirt cheap @ most places, its bordering on extortion, and thats why we carry one 18ltr sealed plastic tub to get the driver back without getting tickled by some garage en route…its cheap if you can sort out your own supply back in the yard, but out on the road, different story I`m afraid :open_mouth:

Quinny:

jessejazza:
In this job I keep the truck at home

If you keep the truck at home, that would be classed as the operating centre surely?

In which case, I am surprised your neighbours haven’t kicked off.

Ken.

With this firm (recovery business) staff have their own truck and keep it at home to cope with police jobs (usually less than 45 mins to attend a call). One does work a 24 hour on call… so it is quite demanding but saves on commuting fuel costs. I’ve got good neighbours so that’s not a problem.

It’s a while since I had a truck on AdBlue and I recall the manager mentioning a min limit but… as usual bull***t - many thanks for your replies. The yard is 11 mile away and if I do 3 days long journeys I don’t go near the yard; she is an Isuzu 90L fuel tank and only does 11mpg and the adblue is 16L tank. She uses about 4-5L a day so I thought putting a fill of adblue in my two 5L jerry cans (plastic type one gets at the fuel station which neatly fit in one of the side toolboxes) was a good idea.

The firm have decided to retire my beloved ‘tilt-and-slide’ (we’ve spent days and nights together!), and I have this Isuzu demountable which is hopeless with its uncomfortable seats. It has gears which are a loose rod and linkage arrangement - and the unusual gear positioning R/1, 2/3, 4/5, 6… yeah takes getting used too. Japanese engineering… very poor. The ‘tilt-and-slide’ was far more versatile; jobs e.g. removing cars from a living room (someone on drugs thought they were driving down the road), cars on their side on the other side of a ditch, over a ditch and upside down, collisions by Royalty. It is amazing what some folk manage to do.

Word of warning for anyone who thinks they may get away for a day with no insurance, no tax or no MOT - in my area I can assure you - you will be caught within 30 mins. No MOT catches out a lot of folk! If you can’t pay the fees within 7 days - no longer your car. With renewal always keep your docs with you for a COUPLE OF WEEKS… it takes that long to get on the computer.