Just in Time for Bank Holiday,-Quick, Get to Towcester

From BBC News

Hundreds of beer kegs partially blocked a busy A-road roundabout when they fell off a lorry.

The Carlsberg-branded vehicle shed most of its 380-keg load at the A43 and Brackley Road junction near Towcester, Northamptonshire Police said.

In a post on Twitter, a roads policing officer said one lane had been blocked, causing slight delays.

The company said it was aware of the spillage, which involved a lorry belonging to a logistics partner.

It is not known where the lorry was going but it was probably nearby Northampton, where Carlsberg has a brewery and its UK head office.

As they are empty the driver should have reloaded by now :wink:

I remember the day I started at a certain haulage company near Sunbury; there was a curtainsider in there with a load bulging out of the curtain. I assumed it was a wide load that the curtains had been fastened around.

Turned out it was pallets of bottled water that had fallen over from not having been strapped down. Everyone was helping pick the individual packs of bottles off the pallets and re-palletise them. (The company had a contract to supply bottled water in the event of shortages stemming from burst water mains etc.)

XPO do the primary for Carlsberg.
Interestingly Carlsberg’s trailers have the bungees that hold the ratchet system up,the load when fastened is actually ratcheted to the bed then XL curtains are closed and fastened too a system that was also adopted by Tradeteam Which at the time Dvsa deemed best way to carry kegs safely.

Yorkielad:
XPO do the primary for Carlsberg.
Interestingly Carlsberg’s trailers have the bungees that hold the ratchet system up,the load when fastened is actually ratcheted to the bed then XL curtains are closed and fastened too a system that was also adopted by Tradeteam Which at the time Dvsa deemed best way to carry kegs safely.

A good system to secure awkward loads in a curtainsider. But it only secures the outside kegs. All the other kegs will, ( and do) still movv. if you tear it round a roundabout, it wont help.
Driver error.

I used to work for these, and every trailer, regardless of what was on it, had to be strapped using the fitted straps (over head type with tarpaulin covers covering the load). However, nobody ever did the straps up correctly. It was a token thing that was always rushed, and they were always loose, or not actually securing the load. The arguments we used to have with the strappers at the brewery were continually ongoing. They did little more than clip the strap under the trailer bed and a couple of clicks of the ratchet, and that was it. Most drivers were just as bad. When you looked at the strap going over the top of the kegs there’s be a 6 inch gap between the top of the keg and the underside of the strap. :unamused:

“I’ve been driving 30 years and never strapped a thing”

“Just drive to the load, it will be fine”

“Don’t drive like you’ve stole it and the load won’t shift”

“Your wasting your tike there driver, no one else bothers and now your in the way in our yard”

whatever happened to the tapered trailers they used to use on this type of load ?..

mrginge:

Empty right. Nice of every pub to put the covers back on the spear fitting.

m.a.n rules:
whatever happened to the tapered trailers they used to use on this type of load ?..

Norbert Dentressangle had this contract at the time they switched from tapered (with inner nets). They consulted with VOSA at the time, and the conclusion was the new type of trailer (inner straps and tarpaulins on bungees and rails) was more complient.

ezydriver:

m.a.n rules:

Norbert Dentressangle had this contract at the time they switched from tapered (with inner nets). They consulted with VOSA at the time, and the conclusion was the new type of trailer (inner straps and tarpaulins on bungees and rails) was more complient.

well mate their conclusion was wrong imho. but what do I/we know… :unamused: :wink:

The whole thing with the Dvsa training the police with the load security part is strange in what the Dvsa says is ok the police are saying it’s not and dishing out fines.
Trailers Have the Dvsa approval( page on brewing industry load security on Dvsa page)but the police are deeming them unfit.
The A43 has some bad camber on the roundabouts but as stated if they are taken slow then the load should stay on the trailer.

foot down friday and gave it billy big balls round the island produces this kind of effect even if its clipped (wont say strapped) to the bed or not , been doing this work for 13 year now and never lost a tub out the curtain. slowly slowly catche monkey and all that :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

jonboy

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

Good spot, I even did 3 months at Tradeteam but when I read 380 keg load I thought that must have been what we moved empty :blush:

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

Good spot, I even did 3 months at Tradeteam but when I read 380 keg load I thought that must have been what we moved empty :blush:

Fair enough, but another clue isthat he’s pointing toeards the M42 so away from Northampton, and the brewery rdc… :grimacing:

Ive driven those loads, and that road, to many times.

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

Going wrong way for Northampton as well , He was heading towards Brackley [emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

Fair enough, but another clue isthat he’s pointing toeards the M42 so away from Northampton, and the brewery rdc… :grimacing:

Ive driven those loads, and that road, to many times.

Hey Donkey ! Has the M42 moved 40 miles south then [emoji848]
You mean the M40 [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:blush: :blush: :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

:blush: :blush: :laughing:

that’s what happens nd when you rely on ■■■■ nav… :smiley: :wink:

I worked there for ten years, that is a GT Brown unit from Steeple Aston. They probably still do Exeter depot, and South West wholesale deliveries for them. The camber is bad on that roundabout. There were a few reasons for changing the trailers but it it would have been a Carlsberg decision as they owned the trailers(Wincanton were the haulers at the time). A tapered trailer cannot be rear tipped when carrying pallets, and also cannot carry as many MT kegs as a conventional one.