Somebody has a guardian angel

google.com/amp/s/www.manche … 302835.amp

Could of been a tragedy if the baby seat was occupied. Check your nuts

bit sweaty, but thanks for caring… :laughing:

Lucky indeed.
However, i’m shocked, shocked i tell yer, how can a simple lorry tyre on wheel cause so much damage, wouldn’t this car have a 5* NCAP rating :bulb: :open_mouth:

Assuming thats not paint but rust on the inside of that rim and on the tyre bead area, that says to me thats been loose for some time.

Juddian:
Lucky indeed.
However, i’m shocked, shocked i tell yer, how can a simple lorry tyre on wheel cause so much damage, wouldn’t this car have a 5* NCAP rating :bulb: :open_mouth:

Yes most likely but NCAP doesn’t test a 60kg item hitting the roof at 100+ mph

nickyboy:

Juddian:
Lucky indeed.

Yes most likely but NCAP doesn’t test a 60kg item hitting the roof at 100+ mph

Quite possibly a combined impact speed of about 120mph and all that impact being concentrated into a small area rather than spread out. As we can see, it just goes through a car like a knife through butter. NCAP can only realistically test for the most common types of impact.

Makes me wonder where the wheels that our fleet lost on M/ways back in the 1970’s ended up because we never found any of them! :confused: Certainly made a mess of that motor though. :open_mouth:

Pete.

People wonder why i go round checking those markers on the nuts - will be double checking them after seeing this.

Lucky they didn’t have anyone in the car as it would likely have decapitated the passenger (headrest totally gone), and baby seat obliterated. He really did have some luck considering.

As for EuroNcap - it tests at 30 and 40mph impacts but theres no way you could ever protect against the weight of of wheel vs windscreen. Just same as you cant protect someone of they crash into a tree at 100mph.

Wonder if they found the truck and driver on CCTV before it kills someone.

windrush:
Makes me wonder where the wheels that our fleet lost on M/ways back in the 1970’s ended up because we never found any of them! :confused: Certainly made a mess of that motor though. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Apparently they ended up in the middle of a field or that is what I was always told. I wonder how many actually bothered to go and look.
I almost lost one once, loose nuts but luckily noticed before it flew off.

I wasn’t actually being serious when wondering why a 5* NCAP car would disintegrate when hit by a lorry wheel, more wondering if maybe car drivers who do stupid things like brake check or other stupid antics around wagons might actually think for a millisecond after seeing these pictures…yeah i know, doubtful :unamused: …just how fragile their lives are when they come into contact with something solid.

Trickydick:
Assuming thats not paint but rust on the inside of that rim and on the tyre bead area, that says to me thats been loose for some time.

Looking at it,it might be picture but the top hole looks elongated

Juddian:
I wasn’t actually being serious when wondering why a 5* NCAP car would disintegrate when hit by a lorry wheel, more wondering if maybe car drivers who do stupid things like brake check or other stupid antics around wagons might actually think for a millisecond after seeing these pictures…yeah i know, doubtful :unamused: …just how fragile their lives are when they come into contact with something solid.

Really!

I would imagine the stupid car driver would only brake check a wagon if the stupid wagon driver was too close.
Its a common occurrence in today’s aggressive driving style and very unprofessional.

jakethesnake:

Juddian:

Really!

I would imagine the stupid car driver would only brake check a wagon if the stupid wagon driver was too close.
Its a common occurrence in today’s aggressive driving style and very unprofessional.

Doesn’t make it right tho and the only one who is going to loose is the car if it goes ■■■■ up

Mazzer2:

jakethesnake:

Juddian:

Really!

Doesn’t make it right tho and the only one who is going to loose is the car if it goes ■■■■ up

Never said it did but let’s not forget who is the instigator in these situations. A bit hypocritical of Juddian calling the car driver stoopid when truly it’s the so called professional that initiates the problem in the first place.

jakethesnake:

:open_mouth: Wow ! …seriously Jake??
So you did not do your daily checks then and ensure all wheelnuts were tight.? As we are all supposed to do. :bulb:
Tut tut man. :unamused:

I’m beginning to see what you are always on about now,… you know…‘‘Lorry drivers being unprofessional’’ and all that.

YES !! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Punching the air. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
High 5 anybody?? :smiley:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

:open_mouth: Wow ! …seriously Jake??
So you did not do your daily checks then and ensure all wheelnuts were tight.? As we are all supposed to do. :bulb:
Tut tut man. :unamused:

I’m beginning to see what you are always on about now,… you know…‘‘Lorry drivers being unprofessional’’ and all that.

YES !! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Punching the air. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
High 5 anybody?? :smiley:

Just to let you know I had a wheel changed by a tyre fitter in the days before they torqued the wheels and had stopped to check thirty or so miles later and found them loose.
Sorry to disappoint.

The man from Goodyear tells me that it’s now a set process that after a wheel has been removed and replaced at the roadside, the tyre fitter follows the truck in his van, and they stop and retorque once they’ve covered a few miles.
Some fleets demand a second retorque.

GasGas:
…the tyre fitter follows the truck in his van, and they stop and retorque once they’ve covered a few miles.

Must be a Goodyear only one as never had anyone do that for my tyre changes. Just wait 30 mins (ish) and check.

What you have to remember is we are still running 10 studs pretty much the same size now at 44ton as we were back in the days of 38 ton.
I was once told and not sure how true is was that if one nut is to come loose the other 9 will fail very soon after as they simply cant take the load at max tonnage.

Trickydick:
What you have to remember is we are still running 10 studs pretty much the same size now at 44ton as we were back in the days of 38 ton.
I was once told and not sure how true is was that if one nut is to come loose the other 9 will fail very soon after as they simply cant take the load at max tonnage.

have an extra two wheels now though -

120 nuts for 44t - 366kg per nut
100 nuts for 38t - 380kg per nut

back when I started in the 70s we had 80 nuts for 32ton - 400kg per nut

clearly back in the day our nuts had a tougher life,