Occasional Driving Records

So, I am starting a new job which is going to involve me driving HGV vehicles only
once or twice a week. Is it acceptable for me to just keep a log book of all my other
working activities instead of spending lots of time making manual entries whenever
I put my digital card into a tacho machine? Many thanks.

helisellson:
So, I am starting a new job which is going to involve me driving HGV vehicles only
once or twice a week. Is it acceptable for me to just keep a log book of all my other
working activities instead of spending lots of time making manual entries whenever
I put my digital card into a tacho machine? Many thanks.

On days that you drive a HGV vehicle it would be best to manually enter into the tachograph any work done away from the vehicle on that day, for work done on none driving days a record in a notebook/diary will suffice.

Legally work done on none driving days in the same week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations should be recorded on charts or printouts but it seems the DVSA are happy to accept records in a notebook or diary.

Actually I would never advise people to manually enter work done on none driving days into a tachograph, it takes too long and there’s a real chance of making mistakes, it’s much easier to keep the records for none driving days in a notebook or diary.

For none driving days you only need to record the start and finish times, it’s just so the DVSA bods can see that you’ve had any legally required daily and weekly rest periods.

Thanks tachograph, much appreciated.