Unpaid wages , no payslips for six months

Morning peeps
Recently left a firm who I worked for 3years , in the last year we never received wage slips and my last weeks wage is still unpaid and can’t get relevant tax code paperwork due to him being too busy , what’s the best avenue to go down for claiming the wage and also would like to claim holiday pay owed as well
Thank andy

Small claims court ( google: money claim online). Quick, simple & cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you might want to check your stamps ect also paid

matto75:
Small claims court ( google: money claim online). Quick, simple & cheap.

Yes, although you have to give the company notice in writing about the money owed and a set time to pay it before you do that.

Don’t be surprised if he goes out of business, sounds like the place is on its last legs.

If this happens, contact the receiver asap, as a worker owed pay you will be a priority creditor…when an agency i worked for went down owing me holiday pay the receiver got me every penny back, took a couple of months mind.

Might be an idea to ring the tax office, put them in the picture, we assume here you were paye and not paid cash on casual/self employed basis.

Clech your fist. Knock on his door and tell him hes due you money.

If he refuses to pay go to petrol station buy a gerry can top up with couple litres of petrol and pop it in the back seat of his car. Fling in some lit rag next to petrol can and watch as it goes up.

Get marshmallows out on a stick and toast them.

cgscott:

If he refuses to pay go to petrol station buy a gerry can top up with couple litres of petrol and pop it in the back seat of his car. Fling in some lit rag next to petrol can and watch as it goes up.

Not sure this is the best option :open_mouth:

cgscott:

mmmmmmm petrol flavored marshmallows !! YUMMY :unamused:

Phone your tax office, you’ll need your employers tax reference which should be on your P60, explain to them the problem, you may find out as there’s no wage slips there’s a good chance he’s done s bank transfer for the usual amount you get paid, only there’s no tax or NI paid, this wouldn’t be your fault and the tax office will go about chasing him for it

Grumpy Dad:
Phone your tax office, you’ll need your employers tax reference which should be on your P60, explain to them the problem, you may find out as there’s no wage slips there’s a good chance he’s done s bank transfer for the usual amount you get paid, only there’s no tax or NI paid, this wouldn’t be your fault and the tax office will go about chasing him for it

I’m afraid this isn’t quite true, ultimately you are responsible for your tax, even though ordinarily your employer collects & pays it on your behalf. Find out where you stand on this matter and add it to your small claims court claim.

matto75:

Grumpy Dad:

I’m afraid this isn’t quite true, ultimately you are responsible for your tax, even though ordinarily your employer collects & pays it on your behalf. Find out where you stand on this matter and add it to your small claims court claim.

You can ask the tax office for a statement of earning for the previous 5 years, this will list all employers, wages paid along with tax and NI, both employee and employer, it includes tax codes for each tax year and tax reference codes for each employer.
Yes he’s accountable for his own tax, but if there are no payslips, there is no evidence of tax being paid by the employer.
Like I said he can be getting paid his regular amount each week assuming all deductions have been taken and paid accordingly.
Had a similar situation for a period of self employment when a dodgy accountant didn’t pay what he should have for me.

I’d contact ACAS, and if going the legal route remember, letter before action.

There is a legal requirement to receive a wage slip and i think the compenstaion for not doing so is a refund of the tax paid from said wage slips upto a maximum of 6 months, this happened to me about 15 years ago and i was taking him to court but he settled, out of…recently i have found that he didnt pay my stamp either for 6 months when i made an enquiry to hmrc, luckily it does not affect my pension because i will have enough stamps in.

shullbit:
There is a legal requirement to receive a wage slip and i think the compenstaion for not doing so is a refund of the tax paid from said wage slips upto a maximum of 6 months

Nope.

All of the above has happened to me.

Payslips showing deductions, but none made to the HMRC, P45 with no employers reference on, no P60. Work it out yourself.

Small claims currently going through for unpaid wages. If you want advice, pm me.

If company is LTD I would check for director changes recently and any late filing of paperwork. Could give clues for any issues likely to show up.

Can’t remember if workplace pensions are HMRC but if they weren’t paying your tax, they might not paid that either (which is now a legal requirement unless you’d opted out).

Prob wont get the tax stuff like P45 from them but shouldn’t need it these days. Its all on the computer, so they can just fill in the previous employer details or your national insurance number. I didn’t get one from last two employers with no probs.

Conor:

shullbit:
There is a legal requirement to receive a wage slip and i think the compenstaion for not doing so is a refund of the tax paid from said wage slips upto a maximum of 6 months

Nope.

YEP i worked for the company for 6 months they never gave me a payslip, when i decided to leave i gave them 1 weeks notice, but when i turned up for my shift on the monday they said i was sacked, so because i had no other way to get back at them i went to the gmb union whom i was still a member of from my previous job and they started action against them for non issue of payslips. I was offer around £300(i cant remember the exact amount it was a long time ago) the union solicitor suggested i accept it which i grudgingly did, at the end of the day i probably could have got a lot more but i was about that much out of pocket because they wouldnt let me work my notice. A couple of years ago i had a need to check my stamps so i did here… gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record and found that for the 6 months i was there my record was blank.
In the end i got the last laugh because the boss got jailed for 18 months for illegaly dumping hazardous waste, and his wife got 9 months suspended and 120 hours unpaid work oh how i laughed when i found out :smiley:
And just to clarify, the amount of compensation at the time would eqaute to the amount of tax and insurance paid(not strictly a refund by hmrc but compensation to be paid by the employer) basically because by not being issued a payslip, you are not being notified of deductions, which is a legal requirement.

If you’re in a scheme, don’t forget to check pension contributions too, both yours and your employer contributions.

Hope you haven’t been stitched up like I was with bastich Canute group pocketing the lot and doing a runner to Australia :imp:

pierrot 14:

cgscott:

mmmmmmm petrol flavored marshmallows !! YUMMY :unamused:

Dont be so quick to brush that one off man. . . My sister’s dopey ■■■ ex chap once had a bbq and couldn’t get the thing to go, he preceded to use turpentine as a fire starter and cooked food on turpentine soaked charcoal! Needless to say I did not have anything to eat off it as you could smell the turps while the ■■■■ was cooking. . .

What’s all this stuff about stamps? NI hasn’t used stamps for over 40 years.