Reasonable Level of Support?

Had a bit of an issue earlier this week, trailer fire (apologies to anyone on the A303 on Wednesday morning, but at least the traffic kept moving), my new/ current boss did not want to attend until the Fire Chief (or whatever title) insisted. Talking to the last driver to have a trailer fire, the boss at the time (has recently left) said immediately ‘I’m on my way’.

We had a roll-over a few years ago, I was involved in the clean up afterwards, several managers turned up to the incident.

What do we/ should we expect from our managers when an incident occurs?

Cream and biscuits, otherwise who really cares?

Expect them to check you’re ok and send a tow truck or two. Unless its pretty close to the yard, I wouldn’t expect them to turn up unless maybe its ADR. Do you really want management clogging up the scene?

Vid:
Had a bit of an issue earlier this week, trailer fire (apologies to anyone on the A303 on Wednesday morning, but at least the traffic kept moving), my new/ current boss did not want to attend until the Fire Chief (or whatever title) insisted. Talking to the last driver to have a trailer fire, the boss at the time (has recently left) said immediately ‘I’m on my way’.

We had a roll-over a few years ago, I was involved in the clean up afterwards, several managers turned up to the incident.

The forum which keeps on giving.

As stated. Once said fire is out out. Towed to nearest pit stop. Check tacho for hours left. Carry on.

If a company has several managers, who can leave their posts to go and look at others doing useful work…? Unless they were on active sweeping and shoveling clean up duties of course.
I would expect managers ask if everyone is OK, then ask about the vehicle and load. If requested to attend they should, but mostly they’d surely be in the way.
Why did the Fire Chief want a manager there I wonder?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Vid:

Well as we have so many softy snowflakes driving now, firstly arrange a taxi to collect them,then pay for them to get concilling for as long as required, you also must keep them on full pay,whilst they take time off for stress,due to the incident having affected them, as a nice touch organise a candlelight vigil.

Just get back on the horse and crack on.

I was sat next to an assistant TM/planner when a call came through from a driver who was trapped & seriously injured inside his cab after rolling over on a remote unmanned site. This chap handled the call beautifully, quickly ascertained the nature of the problem & acted very professionally in mobilising a response. The fire brigade & ambulance were on scene within minutes, the main TM went straight to the hospital & was with the driver within minutes of his arrival.

A few months later I was stood in an XPO traffic office when I overheard an assistant asking a senior “what’s an O Licence”?.

If/when it happens I know who I want on the other end of that phone.

Franglais:
If a company has several managers, who can leave their posts to go and look at others doing useful work…? Unless they were on active sweeping and shoveling clean up duties of course.
I would expect managers ask if everyone is OK, then ask about the vehicle and load. If requested to attend they should, but mostly they’d surely be in the way.

Surely those two should be the other way round?

Nite Owl:

Franglais:

Surely those two should be the other way round?

The difference is between a decent boss and pointy shoes ****er!
[emoji5]

Unless the boss happens to be a part time fireman in the area of the fire I don’t know why you would want him to attend, I don’t see what he could do that can’t be done on the phone from the office.

I’m also curious to know why the fire chief insisted that your boss should attend the scene of a trailer fire :confused:

Vid:

I’d expect them to make themselves available on the phone in case there’s any problems I can’t deal with, other than that I don’t see why I would care what they do.

possibly he may have been wanting to talk to someone in a superior position of authority similar to his opinion of himself instead of some raggidy assed driver to have a clue what was in the back…
over here theres plenty of us that just run anything adr as groupage when going across the channel as it simplifies matters somewhat when you dont have a adr on your licence.
its also easier just binning all those stickers than having to you out and stick them on the side of the trailer… :wink:

dieseldog999:
possibly he may have been wanting to talk to someone in a superior position of authority similar to his opinion of himself instead of some raggidy assed driver to have a clue what was in the back…
over here theres plenty of us that just run anything adr as groupage when going across the channel as it simplifies matters somewhat when you dont have a adr on your licence.
its also easier just binning all those stickers than having to you out and stick them on the side of the trailer… :wink:

Yeah…And then sleep in your cabs in restricted spaces on boats next to that undeclared haz…

Some interesting conclusion jumping in a few of the replies.

‘How are you?’ - nah, didn’t happen.
‘How’s the trailer/ load?’ - ‘on fire!’

Did I want/ need a manager present? - not really, watching the firemen trying to get the fire under control for 2-3 hours was interesting, really didn’t need any company.

Did I expect a manager to be present ASAP? - yes, the previous 2 managers would have been there as soon as possible to liaise and coordinate with the fire service rather than have me as a go between, I’m a driver, not a bloody PA/ secretary.

Due to being household waste (including trade waste and fly tip) in a walking floor trailer the firemen were unable to completely put out the fire, they needed to get it doused enough for me to be able to hook up and move it somewhere to tip it off to finish soaking it. No issue for me but the fire chief wanted someone else to make the call (take responsibility) as to whether it was safe enough to hook up, move a still burning trailer and where to take it to tip.

It went to the obvious place (where I was loaded) to tip and drop the trailer for a wrecker to pick up in a day or two. The site manger there couldn’t be bothered to be there either, no supervisor present. All straightforward as it went, but these people are being paid a lot more than I am to take responsibility, they SHOULD be there in my book.

I thought the role of a professional driver was to display professionalism at all times and take each task in hand, there’s nothing a TM can do other than delay things while emergency services wait for him to show his face, boost his ego, or possibly get off on the thought of men in uniform.
Any hold ups can be passed on to the traffic office, breakdowns, accidents again relayed to the traffic office, emergencies such as trailer fires there’s no requirement for a tm, the driver should know all relevant details of the load, which can be passed on to emergency services should there be a need to, for ADR the driver should have the contact number of the company appointed DGSA.

Grumpy Dad:
I thought the role of a professional driver was to display professionalism at all times and take each task in hand, there’s nothing a TM can do other than delay things while emergency services wait for him to show his face, boost his ego, or possibly get off on the thought of men in uniform.
Any hold ups can be passed on to the traffic office, breakdowns, accidents again relayed to the traffic office, emergencies such as trailer fires there’s no requirement for a tm, the driver should know all relevant details of the load, which can be passed on to emergency services should there be a need to, for ADR the driver should have the contact number of the company appointed DGSA.

At present we don’t have a TM, where do you go with that one?

I did what was necessary, got the vehicle off the main road rather than screw up two major roads so that the emergency services could get to me and save the trailer from complete destruction. I did my bit, others then need to do their bit and that includes managers who are paid a lot more than me to make decisions, contact others and be the face of the company

But that’s not what I was asking in the OP, it’s not the 1970s any more, managers want to micromanage us, yet have no responsibility when major issues occur?

Vid:

Grumpy Dad:

At present we don’t have a TM, where do you go with that one?

I did what was necessary, got the vehicle off the main road rather than screw up two major roads so that the emergency services could get to me and save the trailer from complete destruction. I did my bit, others then need to do their bit and that includes managers who are paid a lot more than me to make decisions, contact others and be the face of the company

But that’s not what I was asking in the OP, it’s not the 1970s any more, managers want to micromanage us, yet have no responsibility when major issues occur?

I wasn’t criticising you, but the way today’s TM’s, planners and fleet are stepping in where it’s not needed

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

Yeah…And then sleep in your cabs in restricted spaces on boats next to that undeclared haz…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
if its time for you to go,then you might as well go out with a bang… :smiley:

Vid:
I’m a driver, not a bloody PA/ secretary.

Problem would be, if you’re 200 miles from base, how long would it take a manager to get there? Trailer would be buggered by the time they got remotely close.

Each time I’ve had problems inc accident, tyres and breakdowns they called the services then I did the rest including liasing with them direct.

Most could have been reached from office in an hour tops but never saw anyone from office. I’m only a steering wheel attendant. :slight_smile:

As for ADR, as long as its not unsealed rusty drums of slightly smoking bright yellow liquid as per BBC Casualty episode.

When anyone asked me what was on the trailer, I usually shrugged; “Dunno mate - brown boxes…” If thay then asked if any was hazardous, I would shrug again and say “No idea if it’s small quantities.”