Fastest time between starting a new job and realising it isn

As the title says - what’s the quickest anyone’s realised “this just isn’t for me”?

I’ve just left a firm to start elsewhere and two weeks in I’ve finally given in to the nagging doubts I’ve had since day one.

Spoken old boss and looks like I’m going back hopefully.

This is far from my record though - about 12 years ago I walked out of a job after 20 mins when spoken to like a piece of crap. Thought if it’s like this in the beginning I’m not waiting to find out just how bad they can get.

Stobarts

10 weeks

maybe you are just homesick

feeling like you dont fit in ,the square peg . what iv done to settle myself in instead of the sullen brooding approach is to get all bolshy and opinionated. if you thought they were all against you before give them a reason to.go off ■■■■ and wrongfoot the status quo , what really works is to slate someones wife “has she a hairy chest?” can often clear the air and before you know it youre one of the lads

corij:
maybe you are just homesick

feeling like you dont fit in ,the square peg . what iv done to settle myself in instead of the sullen brooding approach is to get all bolshy and opinionated. if you thought they were all against you before give them a reason to.go off ■■■■ and wrongfoot the status quo , what really works is to slate someones wife “has she a hairy chest?” can often clear the air and before you know it youre one of the lads

I’ll try it first thing in the morning. I’ll report back from either the nick using my one allowed call or A&E.

(Homesick - I’ve been tramping for nearly 11 years (not non stop before anyone says![emoji3])

It’s not even a bad firm. It’s even more money. (Why I took the job). Just not enjoying it at all.

BRS for B&Q Scunthorpe.

Walked out after 5 minutes when spoken to like a piece of crap after asking for the keys to the unit.

Apparently as a driver, it wasn’t my job to do a walk around check, that’s why they have a drivers mate - can’t be wasting my working hours doing things like that.

Years ago working for a chicken factory was in Sunday 3 am to take a new driver with me to show him how to go on. In he walks in to the yard and first thing he says is ‘what the ***** that smell?’ It’s the skip in the corner I says. It’s full of the bits we don’t want . It’s been there since Friday and it being summer it’s getting a bit ripe :smiley: . Not working in that he says and went. 5mins start to finish!
Incidentally it was one of the best jobs I’ve had but tachos came in and spoilt it :smiley:

Can we…

Use agency assignment anecdotes?

I’ve got a bunch of those, some of which are around the five minute mark.

Many, many years ago I was living in Carlisle and took a job with a company from Scotland, I was starting on the Monday and my ‘NEW’ truck would be in the parking area in Carlisle, so on the Sunday I went over to put my gear in and all I saw was a shed, filthy inside and out, I wouldn’t let a dog sleep on the bed, ash everywhere, the stink of smoke was unbearable, dubious stains on the curtain, bed and roof lining :open_mouth:
So I used the radio in the cab (no phone) and told them I wouldn’t be driving be driving it, considering this was the first time I’d spoken to the office I was bawled at ‘you’ll F-ing do as you’re told, I don’t know who you were working for before but here WE are the bosses, not you! You’ve got a 4am start, delivery at 8, I suggest if the truck bothers you, you spend the day cleaning it’ will I get paid? ‘will you F’ so I said ok.
I Locked it up went home, next morning I got a call on the home phone from them… the screaming was hilarious, so I had a bit of a shout back, threw in a few good words to match them, they then said ‘we’ll be suing you for loss of earnings, expect to hear from our solicitor’ I’m still waiting, so I kinda left the job before it started.

As soon as someone talk down to me. It’s game over five minutes - five months.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

E.L.W…(east lancashire warehouses)…“what you doing lying o the bunk”…“waiting for a task”…“here’s a brush,you can sweep out that warehouse over there”…“byee”…1hour of employment :laughing:

A few people turned up on their first day for a driving assessment, (was informed about it) and as soon as a drink and drugs test were mentioned,(was told about it) their faces dropped, and quickly turned on their heels and walked back to their cars. Strange how they didn’t think this would be a problem when it was mentioned at interview… [emoji15][emoji23]

My shortest ever is one day, no flouncing off just rang them when I got home and said I won’t be back in the next day.

Don’t know if this counts, but went to Stobarts on agency at Crick and I was a 50 year old clean shaven smartly dressed driver (even polished my Boots). Soon as I walked in one of the office staff looked at me and gave me the look like he stood in dog ■■■. Then I must have stood at the counter for about 15 minutes before anyone could be bothered to come over. Did my shift and didn’t go back. No wonder they carn’t get drivers. Work ok, office staff NOT.

elsa Lad:
Don’t know if this counts, but went to Stobarts on agency at Crick and I was a 50 year old clean shaven smartly dressed driver (even polished my Boots). Soon as I walked in one of the office staff looked at me and gave me the look like he stood in dog ■■■. Then I must have stood at the counter for about 15 minutes before anyone could be bothered to come over. Did my shift and didn’t go back. No wonder they carn’t get drivers. Work ok, office staff NOT.

Unfortunately that attitude stands for a high percentage of all the pencil necks the big logistics mob’s stick behind the counters in rdc’s, beyond their wit to realise that treating drivers as something you just stood in is a sure fire way to get the same contempt back in spades.

Companies who have this attitude happily end up with the very staff they deserve, beats me why they can’t why this is from their ivory boardroom towers.

United Carriers in Oldbury. Was an engineer at the time but between contracts so did some agency work. Mostly as a drivers mate but got sent here once to sort parcels.

I lasted 8 minutes. I started at 14:00 and walked out at 14:08. Was spoken to like dirt several times and bashed into with pallets trucks or people running around like the building was burning several times and I just thought nah, I’m not this desperate.

I said to the agency, I’m game for a lot of things but don’t send me there again. He just laughed and said yeah, we hear that a lot.

got a start with securicor on the isle of grain turned up ready for nights out took a look at the filthy smelly unit I’d been given got back in the car and went home

Was asked to do an extra run after a 4 day job having been told I could go home , after I mentioned it the sneering response was “you are getting paid for the day”

I said “don’t pay me then” and that was the end of that.

Blakemores frozen meat, took me 5 days to decide it wasn’t for me. One day i had to keep going back and forth from depot in wolvo to birmingham 4 times because they kept ■■■■■■■ up the order.

Terry T:
United Carriers in Oldbury. Was an engineer at the time but between contracts so did some agency work. Mostly as a drivers mate but got sent here once to sort parcels.

I lasted 8 minutes. I started at 14:00 and walked out at 14:08. Was spoken to like dirt several times and bashed into with pallets trucks or people running around like the building was burning several times and I just thought nah, I’m not this desperate.

I said to the agency, I’m game for a lot of things but don’t send me there again. He just laughed and said yeah, we hear that a lot.

If you’re still after work in oldbury area give F.S.W a try, their drivers work mon-fri curtain side drop offs and collections till finish but regardless of hours they work they get 60 hrs pay for a week. Friendly staff as well that don’t treat you as a number. I worked for them with masstemps agency for a while and they did offer me a full time job but it was just too far from home to be a regular thing, had i lived closer i would have snapped it up.

I know someone who went to a place for the first time through agency to do a night shift, saw a light on in the portacabin so he went in…

the guy who was on the phone at the time screamed at him " what you doing in here, no ■■■■■■■ drivers are allowed in my office so ■■■■ off outside and wait for me "

so he did, went back to his car jumped in and went home :laughing: