Tesco lorry gone to sleep

It’s good that people have been made aware of this.

Every little helps.

ChrisEnglish90:

Up at mere way! Near Tesco…
hope driver is safe and no one injured but it appears falling over lorries in Northampton is common this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agency EE say no more

Does it have a green lorry attached, or a blue one.

I hope somebody has chalked a line all the way round it so the lorry can have a nice rest . Hopefully someone will bring a double blanket to put over it to keep it warm .

ChrisEnglish90:

beefy4605:
I hope somebody has chalked a line all the way round it so the lorry can have a nice rest . Hopefully someone will bring a double blanket to put over it to keep it warm .

In Northamptonshire this week, it’s 2 I know of! 2 in 1 week! What’s up with these drivers?

All joking aside - trailer could have been badly loaded - lots of weight on the top deck at the front , then sealed and no way for the driver to know . Bad loading , bad driving or lack of experience and its way to easy to put one over .

The kast job I had before retiring was with a rigid curtain sider, 6 wheeler. It was loaded overnight and closed up. If I started at 4.00 am in the dark, I’d pull the curtains to have a look with a torch. There were a few borderline loads but I took them. One morning it was about 4.30, I checked and it was really bad so I phoned the office boy (planner) who had to drag himself out of bed to come in and sort it out… it was done properly after that. :slight_smile: With a box it’s different I know, but if it’s the drivers responsibility, then they should be the last to check, or see it being loaded.

robthedog:

ChrisEnglish90:

Up at mere way! Near Tesco…
hope driver is safe and no one injured but it appears falling over lorries in Northampton is common this month.

Agency EE say no more

That’s amazing, can you tell us where it signifies nationality and employment status so we can avoid potential hazards :wink:

beefy4605:

ChrisEnglish90:

beefy4605:

In Northamptonshire this week, it’s 2 I know of! 2 in 1 week! What’s up with these drivers?

All joking aside - trailer could have been badly loaded - lots of weight on the top deck at the front , then sealed and no way for the driver to know . Bad loading , bad driving or lack of experience and its way to easy to put one over .

Loaded badly !! Not TESCO Light goods at the top heavy at thee bottom that’s a fact and you can look inside before you leave poor driving as always.

robthedog:

beefy4605:

ChrisEnglish90:

beefy4605:

Loaded badly !! Not TESCO Light goods at the top heavy at thee bottom that’s a fact and you can look inside before you leave poor driving as always.

Yeah I had that issue one when I was pulling refers, night guys loaded my trailer, about 50% general palletised groceries and the other 50% was pallets of yogurt and juice which were quite heavy. . . Planks loaded all of the yogurt and juice on the one side and the rest on the other side so it was a fun drive to liverpool aldi with a side heavy trailer! . . I know I should have refused the load or got it reloaded when the day staff came in but I was young and eager and new to the job and the load was a timed delivery so didn’t have time to hang around. Luckily it was the early hours in the morning and not much traffic so I could take it easy on those bends but was still a nerve rack g drive

Double Decker, Top Heavy…? The driver doesn’t get to inspect the way the trailer is loaded, as it is sealed prior to being hooked-up-to by the driver delivering it…

Just add one roundabout

Winseer:
Double Decker, Top Heavy…? The driver doesn’t get to inspect the way the trailer is loaded, as it is sealed prior to being hooked-up-to by the driver delivering it…

Just add one roundabout

I do DD’s for supermarkets and high street chains, inspect the load before you leave? you are hoping, all loads are sealed and you cannot break the seal. I remember one day they loaded the top deck to the back door with flat pack and the bottom deck they only loaded half way with lighter stuff, left the depot, went round the roundabout scared the living daylights out of myself, then went straight back into the depot. Mainly to empty my underpants out :open_mouth:. When you do store deliveries, The loaders often put heavy cages down one side of the trailer. You have to drive very carefully with these shop DD’s because it is so easy to tip one over.

Seems to be a common theme in these threads. Reason I’ve moved onto tippers recently…will never work general haulage again due to shambles regarding loads.
Here’s an idea pay gate staff more. Train them up in quality control. They check loads. If it’s been loaded poorly. Doesn’t get out yard. Would soon stop get it out asap( regardless) culture & make warehouse staff see issues drivers face.
Getting my helmet ready for a stoning as I speak!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DF40:
Seems to be a common theme in these threads. Reason I’ve moved onto tippers recently…will never work general haulage again due to shambles regarding loads.
Here’s an idea pay gate staff more. Train them up in quality control. They check loads. If it’s been loaded poorly. Doesn’t get out yard. Would soon stop get it out asap( regardless) culture & make warehouse staff see issues drivers face.

As I said on the paper reel thread, the final decision is down to the driver, he has every right to ensure the trailer is safe to take out on the road and that includes load safety, if he deems it as unsafe he can lawfully refuse to take it, it’s time drivers stopped being taken for granted by a prat in the planning office who couldn’t push a Lidl trolley let alone drive s truck, having a cpc doesn’t qualify him as a driver

DF40:

Makes sense. Could better training for loading staff be the answer, yes it could. Will it ever happen, no it won’t. Obviously 'cos that would cost companies money.

The present legislation places responsibility for load security firmly with the driver and it is the driver that faces any legal consequences of it causing damage or injury/death and as we all know, a short break at one of Her Majesty’s secure hotels is certainly on the cards.

Now, if there were a change in the law to place some of that responsibility with the dispatching company, you can bet your arse they’d be spending time and money training loaders and warehouse staff, 'cos then it would also be one of the bosses who’d be introduced to the porridge tasting society.

Yeah, drivers are put under pressure bby prats in planning office.
Tipped & lost loads are a daily occurrence. Just have to read these threads.
Drivers have t be responsible for their load but it’s an industry issue that no amount of CPC will solve

I often pull deckers, but make sure I have a peak inside before closing the doors.
I have had mail on top deck and empty cages on the bottom before now,
One night there were pallets of laminate flooring on the top deck, then half a deck of empty cages on the bottom,
No way was that going out - told the forkie, swap those decks around or it stays here

When you get a loaded & sealed trailer, usually a trip around the yard will tell you if it’s ok, Us oldies get a feel for the load, sadly a lot of these young guns are just stamp on the pedal & go

I work for Tesco, pull double deckers weekly. At our DC we can break the seal and look inside but you can not see past the the first row of cages on both decks anyway so your no the wiser. Treat them with respect and no problem. I call driver error on this full stop.

Dimlaith:
I work for Tesco, pull double deckers weekly. At our DC we can break the seal and look inside but you can not see past the the first row of cages on both decks anyway so your no the wiser. Treat them with respect and no problem. I call driver error on this full stop.

Tbh I’d agree it is probably driver error. But it still isn’t on expecting any driver to take an artic out without being able to check the load. And on the double deckers whilst the doors don’t have the locks on as you have zero chance of seeing the top deck or what’s on it then it’s all a bit pointless (most parking won’t let you get far back enough to even see the top deck). At best you can tell it’s strapped and hope for the best. Single deckers are even worst at this firm… No chance to see if it’s strapped. Not so bad with a reefer - but get asked to pull a load which is not chilled and when you get to the store you brace for what’s coming when you undo the sliding door. I had cages of booze stacked so badly a crate of gin fell on my head.

Sainsburys are a much better firm. They are still micky mouse when it comes to packing/cages. But they never let you take a single vehicle out without personally checking the load. Nor do they let you take out a double decker before you have been shown/taught how to drive one or unload it.

As for driver error (which I agree with) as a Tescos employee do you want to tell us what hours they plan drivers at now? At the site I was at you were expected to do ‘atleast 12 hours’ and your starts would be changed each day. They take drivers with zero experience on agency, they give them no training on deckers and they run them ragged. Tescos is a disgrace of a company imo - and brings this on itself.

sammym:
As for driver error (which I agree with) as a Tescos employee do you want to tell us what hours they plan drivers at now? At the site I was at you were expected to do ‘atleast 12 hours’ and your starts would be changed each day. They take drivers with zero experience on agency, they give them no training on deckers and they run them ragged. Tescos is a disgrace of a company imo - and brings this on itself.

Sounds like you was an easy target.
They can’t expect you to do more than 12 as tesco contract for max of 12.
i useally max about 45 hours aweek.

our dc routes are no more than about 7- 8 hour
my starts alter no more than 1/4 hour each day, max of 3/4 hour over rota cycle.
and you won’t get near any vehicle or decker without being out with a trainer.

I remember when I went for a assessment for agency work in about 2006, at the Peterborough depot. I drove out of the gate round the first roundabout then back into the yard and passed. The assessor left the following week, don’t think his heart was in it :smiley: