Weight Limit Summons

As in the title, had an invite to attend a Magistrates Court and defend or just roll over and plead guilty by post.

I can prove with photographic evidence that its possible to find oneself within the 18t limit due to lack of/insufficient signage and trapped with nowhere to turn an artic safely on a fast A road.

So, guidance with the summons says up to £1000 fine with no points, employing a Solicitor as well as taking a day off and having to travel 150miles each way will easily cost that :confused:
Thoughts and experiences :question:

Personally…

Get the camera out, take plenty of pictures, annotate maps and fight the ■■■■■■■■■

If there is inadequate signage, and it is possible to become “trapped”, then it’s a no brained, and you shouldn’t be found guilty of anything.

Real unlucky mate, I drive through literally 20 7.5 limits a day, just nimby limits but limits nonetheless. Where did you get caught mate?

Was it a weight limit?or the round sign no veichles over 18.t

If sign says weight limit then have little sympathy . And doubt you’d get off.

If it’s a sign just indicating no veichles over 18 t maybe worth a try.
If it had under it except for access then could argue you had to access it I guess.

johnteller:
Real unlucky mate, I drive through literally 20 7.5 limits a day, just nimby limits but limits nonetheless. Where did you get caught mate?

Are these the ones with Access Only underneath ?

Was it in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire ?
I am not 100% sure, but your employer gets a fine along with the driver .
Do you remember anyone noting your registration or taking a photo, it’s normally volunteers that pass on the information to Trading Standards.
But worth fighting it if no place to turn around.

There are several places I can think of with inadequate signage. It’s worth fighting.

7.5 tonne always means the plated weight, not the actual or unladen weight.

18 tonne means a 4 wheel rigid, not an empty 6 or 8 wheel tipper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inadequate signage or unable to understand the sign?

be worth you ringing up the court . i forget the job title but theres often a bloke who gives out insider info on the best way to go at some courts -and if he doesnt then he knows the number of someone who does . i found this out by chance i was trying to get hold of a court form so i rang up to get one sent out and the fellow answering said if i was you id do this instead of that

Bath has daft weight limits where there are signs one way, but not from the other direction. One place I deliver has a 7.5t restriction but the road is much wider than the road without a limit that has an “unsuitable for hgvs” sign on it.

Clerk of the Court is the man/woman.

There to give advice to all…including the lay magistrates who don’t have a clue…

GasGas:
Clerk of the Court is the man/woman.

There to give advice to all…including the lay magistrates who don’t have a clue…

Clerk of the Court are really helpful, I was given a fine of £800 ( majority court costs ) for a speeding fine. I handed in my licence and guilty paperwork but come the day of my case, the courts hadn’t got it so I was fined for failing to complete my plea and hand in my licence. Phoned the court and the Clerk checked everything on the computer, put my fine on hold and started an appeal process, reduced my fine to £120.

toby1234abc:
Do you remember anyone noting your registration or taking a photo, it’s normally volunteers that pass on the information to Trading Standards.

What’s it got to do with trading standards, either police or council traffic enforcement would deal with it and then not always even if they are standing there taking pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

toby1234abc:

What’s it got to do with trading standards, either police or council traffic enforcement would deal with it and then not always even if they are standing there taking pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Beats me why trading standards are involved but it seems a lot of areas they are one port of call for this, Derbyshire Council explains themselves how their trading standards department can take action with breach of weight limits.

Thinking out loud here, but looking at the actual thing that is taking place its simply a company carrying out activities to make a profit but are breaking the law in the process I. E trading illegally… a description which could loosely be applied to dodgy butchers scales, or in this vehicle weights.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Go to www.pepipoo.com there are some very knowlegable people on there. They can give you advice on penalties and court procedures. Also the likely outcome if you go to court and get found guilty.

So after lots of investigation and advive taken, apparentley this particular offence falls outside the required 14 day notification period so that escape route was closed :frowning:

I went back and took lots of photos of the lack of signs and pleaded guilty by post with the mitigating circumstances fully explained, resulting in a total penalty of £380.

Fine £200
Costs £150
Victims Surcharge £30 (Dunno WTF the victim is :open_mouth: )

So, it could of been worse but feeling a bit ■■■■■■ I didn’t get off.
BTW the limit was at Streatley in West Berks, all 50 metres of it. So if anyone feels the need to travel north on the A34 and head east at the Chilton interchange, beware :exclamation: :exclamation:

jakethesnake:
inadequate signage or unable to understand the sign?

Yawn

Big Joe:
BTW the limit was at Streatley in West Berks, all 50 metres of it. So if anyone feels the need to travel north on the A34 and head east at the Chilton interchange, beware :exclamation: :exclamation:

So you found the signs you didn’t think existed when you went back?

Conor:

Big Joe:

You must be such fun in a drivers waiting room. Pub.
Delete as appropriate.

Conor:

Big Joe:

Nope they weren’t there, only signs for a weight limit further on than Streatley. By the time I’d passed the first sign warning me of an approaching limit, the options for turning were zilch. I was told if I appeared personally in court I may have stood a chance of getting off, but not guaranteed.