Who was in the right here?

OK, so I’m going down the M5 at 56mph,fully loaded, nearly 40 tonnes, and another wagon starts to overtake, as soon as he gets halfway, we get to a bit of a downhill, and I’ve picked up speed, it only takes that little bit of a slope when you’re fully loaded, and he can’t get past, so he pulls in behind me, flashing the lights as he does, and then the same thing happens again, his limiter is slightly higher, but as soon as we get to a slope, I’ve picked up speed, this went on for about 20 miles, in the end, he pulled off, I got a long flash of the lights as he did, I mean, what am I supposed to do?

Hit the …

Exhauster. If another wagon can catch and pass you on the flat, you might as well let them pass. Or as in this case going downhill, just drop your speed so the other guy can get round you.

So, as you’re being overtaken, your speed increases?
Your vehicle accelerates?
You accelerate?
Or is the vehicle so out of control it “just happens”?

Go on, guess what I think.
[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Highway code - maintain or reduce speed when being overtaken to allow the vehicle to pass. - You are in the wrong I’m afraid

OK, I’ll let them pass next time.

Ignore him and save your ink writing a long letter on social media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

Oh and avoid eye contact!

yourhavingalarf:
Hit the …

Exhauster.

yah

You could argue both ways but in my opinion you’re in the wrong. If I start rolling as someone is overtaking I brake and let them carry out their overtake. Rolling back up the inside of him once is bad enough but several times?! Sheesh :unamused:

switchlogic:
You could argue both ways but in my opinion you’re in the wrong. If I start rolling as someone is overtaking I brake and let them carry out their overtake. Rolling back up the inside of him once is bad enough but several times?! Sheesh :unamused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
elephant racing at its best,then invariably ends up a cockfight. :cry:

switchlogic:

And after 20 miles he was still behind the OP close enough for one more flash. Maybe the guy behind should have knocked 1 kmph off the cruise after he realised the OP was never going to help him.

mrginge:

switchlogic:

And after 20 miles he was still behind the OP close enough for one more flash. Maybe the guy behind should have knocked 1 kmph off the cruise after he realised the OP was never going to help him.

Neither of them cover themselves in glory but he asked a straightforward question and he is in my opinion in the wrong

Wheel Nut:

Wheel Nut:

Oh and avoid eye contact!

This is where your peekaboo curtains come in handy…

switchlogic:

mrginge:

switchlogic:

Neither of them cover themselves in glory but he asked a straightforward question and he is in my opinion in the wrong

I agree,

I wouldn’t say the overtaker was in any way blameless or an example of good driving. That far I agree, but as Dieselman says the highway code is with the overtaker.
The slower truck is accelerating during the overtake: he is in the wrong. You shouldn’t accelerate. Accelerating because of pushing the loud pedal or because of a slope is irrelevant, it seems to me.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

You should just back off a little and let him past, you were definitely worth giving a merchant banker sign to :laughing:

I just back off a couple of clicks if somebody is struggling to pass me, what’s the problem with losing a couple of seconds and a few yards ffs., :unamused: …and I’m too grown up for ■■■■■■■ contests, I’m supposed to be a ‘‘professional’’ displaying ‘‘professionalism’’. :bulb:

I had a similar situation to the op where I did the decent thing and backed off only to find the other lorry matched my speed to the point where when I caught up with another in front we were down to about 49 mph as he deliberately blocked me in ,however when he moved on and pulled in I boosted up a little as I hadn’t been going as fast as I could the look on his face was priceless as I came along side , i pulled in a proper manner and continued at my previous speed and the pratt made no attempt to pass again ,I was prepared to discuss this further but by weatherby services mr carntyne made an emergency exit ,so lesson for him or anyone else don’t do owt daft presuming your not going to get caught up again :laughing:

I do wonder why people start an overtake when theres a downhill section, but in a case like this I just backoff and let them get on with their own heart attack.

The really annoying ones are those who overtake on the flat or downhill, then are too heavy to keep up any speed on the way up the hill. Had one recently who did that then couldnt do more than 40mph uphill.

If you pass they’ll fly past on the flat as their limiter is 60+, then repeat on next hill. Usually tippers…I hate tippers. :slight_smile:

robroy:
what’s the problem with losing a couple of seconds and a few yards ffs.

Says the man who got caught for speeding just a few days ago…

Sorry mate, couldnt resist! :laughing: