How many of you can remember the following?

I can remember all of those and trailers without spring brakes and wheels on the landing gear that would go flying backwards when you tried to get under them. Trailers with no load sensing valve that locked up when empty, sometimes bouncing and shaking your light lenses off.

I can remember being first one in of a morning and starting all the lorries up to get them warmed up for the drivers, or coming in to a nice warm lorry if someone beat me to it. I remember no night heaters and crashing out over the engine tunnel with blankets for curtains and being parked next to someone in a sleeper with their night heater roaring away.

I also remember drivers helping each other out, not just folding sheets etc, but on the road too, you almost never had a lorry drive past you if you were waiting to pull out of a side road, if you were tramping on down the middle lane and the lorry in front was catching someone they would see you were horsing down the road and keep out of your way and let you get down the road.

I miss the latter, but I’m glad the former is a thing of the past, not all nostalgia makes for a fond remembrance.