Tom Tom discount

I thought I’d share this in case it was useful to anyone who might be about to upgrade their sat nav:

For ages I’ve been receiving emails from Tom Tom saying my old satnav (which I didn’t even own any longer) was out of date and they were offering me a “Huge Loyalty Discount” of 30% off a new device, but only on a few selected models, none of which were truck sat navs.

As we say in the North, “shy bairns get nowt”, so I thought I’d ask them if they could apply the discount to a TomTom Go Professional 6250 Truck Sat Nav. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they offered me 25% off one of these. It worked out at £292.50 (as compared with £380 on Amazon) and they included a branded Tom Tom sat nav case, though TBH the case isn’t what I would have chosen to buy as it can only accommodate the sat nav and not the cable and charger too.

New model’s out any day now

Zac_A:
I thought I’d share this in case it was useful to anyone who might be about to upgrade their sat nav:

For ages I’ve been receiving emails from Tom Tom saying my old satnav (which I didn’t even own any longer) was out of date and they were offering me a “Huge Loyalty Discount” of 30% off a new device, but only on a few selected models, none of which were truck sat navs.

As we say in the North, “shy bairns get nowt”, so I thought I’d ask them if they could apply the discount to a TomTom Go Professional 6250 Truck Sat Nav. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they offered me 25% off one of these. It worked out at £292.50 (as compared with £380 on Amazon) and they included a branded Tom Tom sat nav case, though TBH the case isn’t what I would have chosen to buy as it can only accommodate the sat nav and not the cable and charger too.

A kick of the arse off 300 notes…AND that’s with a 25% discount? :open_mouth:
Is that what you guys are paying for those ■■■■ things? …ffs !

Nah,.I’ll stick with the bog standard cheapie and a bridge map, and spend what I save on something more useful and worthwhile… like a night in the pub, :sunglasses:
So thanks but no thanks.
As Duncan would say …I’m oot. :neutral_face:

robroy:

Zac_A:

A kick of the arse off 300 notes…AND that’s with a 25% discount? :open_mouth:
Is that what you guys are paying for those [zb] things? …ffs !

Nah,.I’ll stick with the bog standard cheapie and a bridge map, and spend what I save on something more useful and worthwhile… like a night in the pub, :sunglasses:
So thanks but no thanks.
As Duncan would say …I’m oot. :neutral_face:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1…winner :slight_smile:

Just upgraded my self to a 1975 atlas .

How do the rest of us get one for £292.50?

For a Ltd driver who pays 19% corporation tax and 7.5% dividend tax, the £292.50 would only cost £219.16 out of the pocket. Considering you get unlimited traffic and unlimited speed cameras without the need for a separate data plan (which currently costs £60 every two years on Three for their 24 month 12GB/year data plan), it sounds like a good deal to me.

I’ve being procrastinating about a decent truck satnav for ages now because despite being old skool you cannot have a detailed map for everywhere and a car one can land you in hot water occasionally.

Tried the truck one from eBay not so cheap but useless.
A few phone apps for trucks that were ok at times but also jammed at critical times or one that thought the best route to Dover was via central London■■?
Google maps too heavy on phone data internationally and some foreigners didn’t appreciate an artic on their pedestrian zones or cycle paths as it’s not truck specific.
Stopping at the last services and taking a photo of or buying the local area map has become a PITA.

I’ve been following Amazon for a while now and the TOMTOM Professional 520 looks appealing.

It’s the 5 inch screen, lifetime maps and traffic info only if you hook it to your phone which apparently is minuscule data usage all for £260 which is not too bad but too much for me

However when you click on used they are usually there for a £150-£195 and that I could live with. As Amazon don’t do used I can only assume these were new but returned goods or something similar.

I haven’t jumped in for one yet but if anyone else does please let us know what condition the unit was in. Tks.

I paid £70 for my trucknav from trucktables and it has never let me down in 2 years

The last satnav I brought was a go professional 6200 off flea bay for £60, sold it tho, prefer copilot! A stand-alone sat nav is just one more thing for me to have to carry.

johnteller:
The last satnav I brought was a go professional 6200 off flea bay for £60, sold it tho, prefer copilot! A stand-alone sat nav is just one more thing for me to have to carry.

That’s interesting as Copilot seemed to attract a bit of flak here previously.

How do you find it?

Hurryup&wait:

johnteller:

How do you find it?

I found it perfectly good. I don’t go far anyway, so I probably only use it a couple of times per week. In the 3 years I’ve used it, it’s never run me into a problem. Google maps is handy too, restrictions don’t bother me, there’s only 1 bridge in Leicester and 1 width restriction I can’t get through, so it’s easy!

johnteller:

Hurryup&wait:

johnteller:

How do you find it?

I found it perfectly good. I don’t go far anyway, so I probably only use it a couple of times per week. In the 3 years I’ve used it, it’s never run me into a problem. Google maps is handy too, restrictions don’t bother me, there’s only 1 bridge in Leicester and 1 width restriction I can’t get through, so it’s easy!

I use Copilot and had been thinking of getting a Tom Tom for while now but looking at the price tags i cant justify it as the phone app has never let me down in London or anywhere.

Always check the route with google maps or a real map just to make sure and its one less thing to carry about and pack away.

Copilot wins for me

Dan_1986:

johnteller:

Hurryup&wait:

johnteller:

How do you find it?

I use Copilot and had been thinking of getting a Tom Tom for while now but looking at the price tags i cant justify it

See I find that comment confusing when people say that.

Co pilot for an app that you run on your own device is rather expensive.

£8.99 a month I believe or £99.99 for a years subscription.

So in 3 years if you pay yearly its cost £300 which is enough or heading towards the price of a decent truck nav. And any decent sat nav is updatable for maps so no reason to not buy one and keep it for some time.

For example a £400 satnav if it only lasted 5 years would have worked out £100 cheaper.

I just don’t think apps are the be all and end all of everything. Somethings just work better or more reliably as a stand alone item than just another app.

Just my thoughts not knocking you for it, I would just expect a much cheaper cost for an app as there is no tooling costs or hardware costs.

I’ve had the app for 4 years now and when i brought it the cost was £85 for the app and its not cost me a penny since, don’t even have the traffic updates on it…

Has it changed now then to a monthly cost?

Dan_1986:
I’ve had the app for 4 years now and when i brought it the cost was £85 for the app and its not cost me a penny since, don’t even have the traffic updates on it…

Has it changed now then to a monthly cost?

I believe so it states in app purchase from £8.99 - 99.99.

At £85 quid as a one off fee I think they are more realistic prices.

Unless I have misunderstood it of course.

£8.99 is the cost of the traffic updates and the £99 would be the one off cost for the app after the free period… doesn’t use any data (unless you have the traffic) as you download the maps on to the phone…

works for me so as i said can’t see the point of forking out for a tom tom (even though id like one :laughing: :laughing: ) when this one works. :bulb:

Dan_1986:
£8.99 is the cost of the traffic updates and the £99 would be the one off cost for the app after the free period… doesn’t use any data (unless you have the traffic) as you download the maps on to the phone…

works for me so as i said can’t see the point of forking out for a tom tom (even though id like one [emoji38] [emoji38] ) when this one works. :bulb:

Fur enough. I just hate it when you can’t clearly see how much something costs to buy.

I also whilst I use a smartphone and apps just don’t think an app for everything is a solution.

I have tried Co pilot myself along with sygic and aponia and whilst the trials all worked OK I just didn’t get on with them that well if I’m honest.

I do wonder why Tom Tom don’t do a truck nav version only car version in an app.

Not too mention battery drain so needing to have phone constantly on charge.

Then again I use a Chinese sat nav that cost me around £67 when I bought it and its doesn’t real let me down much for the amount I use it and always have google maps as well.

So maybe that is also part of the reason I don’t seem to get on too well with sat nav apps.

carlston49:
How do the rest of us get one for £292.50?

I contacted Tom Tom “support” via the messaging facility on their website and gave them the info I gave in my original post about the email offer of a discount. I don’t know if they actually checked I was telling the truth (I was but it might also work if you’re just blagging it)