Bulk Blowers

I’ve got an interview and an assessment on a bulk blower.
What are these things like?
Never used one.
I’ve done tippers on muck and aggregates so would this be a benefit?
Its delivering animal feeds if that’s of any help.
Thanks in advance.

It’s quite easy once you get the hang of it.

You’ve done tippers so you’ll be familiar with the ins and outs of that. Most bulk blowers have compartments which you open in drop order. Assuming there are four (can be up to six) and you have four drops, you go to the first farm, blow off there, and when you’ve finished, open the next compartment, tip up slightly to let the feed level out, drop body down, go to next farm, repeat till empty. That’s the basics.

In more detail; you get as close to the delivery point as you can whilst still being on level firm ground and of course clear of overhead wires; this isn’t always easy of course but the shorter the blow the easier the feed goes in. Check that you are at the correct bin (VERY VERY important!) and that the bin will accommodate the amount of feed you are delivering; this does tend to come with experience but an easy way to check if it’s empty or nearabouts is to tap it gently with a piece of wood and see if there’s a hollow sound.

Connect your pipes up,using coupling adaptors if needed, these will be in a metal locker. Ensure that the one connected to the bin is particularly secure, tie it with a bit of baler twine if you’re not sure; if it pops off because you have failed to secure it properly things can get messy and it ■■■■■■ the farmer off. Ensure that the delivery pipes have enough slack to avoid them pulling off when you raise the body. Start lorry, engage the PTO and the blower, set the engine speed to about 1100 rpm, raise the body slightly but not too much and NEVER over 30 degrees at the start, otherwise you’ll compact the feed and it won’t flow. Go to the control box (normally at right rear of body), set the feed screw to rotate, open the slide, then set the blower to go; you’ll hear the feed start to rattle along the pipes, open the valve slowly till the gauge shows about 0.4 bar, no more till you REALLY know what you’re doing!

Feed should now flow freely; stay at the controls, keeping one eye on the sight glasses in the bin if you can. DO NOT be tempted to go back and sit in the cab till it’s finished, even if it’s ■■■■■■■ down! If the pipe blocks, which they will if your attention wavers, it will be hell’s own job to clear up because you have to manually empty them into feed bags, always remember that you cannot blow your way out of trouble.

Assuming you’ve got this far, raise the body as necessary to allow the feed to flow to the back. once you get down to between half and a quarter of a ton it will cease to flow; that’s when you lift the augur lever which assists the last bit to come out. You will know when it’s all gone because the engine will no longer be under load and the noise will change. Lower the body, stop the augur, close the slide, stop the feed screw, lower the body, switch off the PTO’s and the engine. Disconnect the pipes and stow them away, remembering to replace any adaptors in the locker. Pipes generally only go in one way, note how they came out and reverse the order. Remember to close the pipe locker securely. Open the next compartment, start engine, raise the body a little to move the feed back, lower body, check round that all is safe, do paperwork, go to next farm and repeat.

It does sound complicated but the actual routine varies very little and like many jobs of this ilk it’s all down to practice and experience. It’s noisy, can be dusty, muddy, smelly, cold, wet and miserable but that’s farm work and you’ll either love it or loathe it.

Brilliant summary that Sidevalve, its not something i’ve done but from that description alone reckon i could manage a load.

That 4bar blowing pressure :open_mouth: , amazing how different products need such pressures, i don’t suppose feed pellets fluidise at .6bar like powdered foodstuffs.

Probably as with your job, much depends on the driver’s experienced ear. Once you get the cake flowing nicely it sorts itself out, too slow and you’re there forever, too fast and the pipe will block. What I wrote there is pretty much the basics for cattle/sheep nuts and rolls, if you’re blowing a blend or meal then there’s a bit more fine tuning to be done but again it’s largely down to experience.

The worst stuff to blow is a blend which is heavy on molasses; sticks on the body, clogs the pipes up and can be an absolute bugger to shift. Smells nice, though!

It’s probably 0.4 bar actually; just shows as 4 on the gauge. As you know it’s more about air volume than actual pressure, it’s run by a Rootes type blower.

I feel for you mate, must be terrible on those farms with farmer’s wives carrying trays of bacon sandwiches tea and biscuits for you whilst you stand at the back of the body making it look hard graft :smiling_imp:

Do farmers ever come out with a cuppa any more, even back when i used to do farms regularly that was getting to be a rare event.

It is actually hard work trying to make it look like it’s hard work :grimacing:
And as for a cuppa, I’ve only been offered a brew at two farms…ever :smiley: . Don’t know if that’s because farmers are getting tighter or if they just don’t like me :laughing:

Steve66:
Never used one.
Thanks in advance.

Which company have you got the interview with Steve? Our lot have a mill in your neck of the woods. If it’s the same one I might be able to give you a bit more detailed information.

Ever thought about becoming a trainer Sidevalve? Think if I ever had ago at bulk Blowers, I will take a copy of the reply you just done. :laughing:

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Sidevalve that was a spot on description.
Thanks for that.
As I said I’ve done tippers but this job involves blowers.
I have done farm work. I did milk years ago and am currently going to packing stations so I’m aware of what they’re like.
I always carry treats for the farmers dog :smiley:
Just something I’ve learnt.

Johneboy:

Steve66:
Never used one.
Thanks in advance.

Which company have you got the interview with Steve? Our lot have a mill in your neck of the woods. If it’s the same one I might be able to give you a bit more detailed information.

It’s in the Chipping Norton sort of area.
If it is the one any info would be very much appreciated.
Inbox me if you like.
Thanks.

Steve66:

Johneboy:

Steve66:
Never used one.
Thanks in advance.

It’s in the Chipping Norton sort of area.
If it is the one any info would be very much appreciated.
Inbox me if you like.
Thanks.

Just got your pm… sent you one back :smiley:

elsa Lad:
Ever thought about becoming a trainer Sidevalve? Think if I ever had ago at bulk Blowers, I will take a copy of the reply you just done. :laughing:

Cheers mate. No, the driver trainer we had put me off that for life!

Spot on by sidevalve.

Other than the 4 bar!! I normally set it to 9 psi if not in a rush, but it’ll go to around 12 psi before you start to trigger the relief valve. Just be aware that as the bin you’re blowing into fills up then then pressure will also start creeping up, so you might set it to 9 psi at the start and you may need to slow it down speed down so you don’t have too much pressure. When nearing the end I can be a good idea to slow it down too, as if you’re going to be tight on space you’ll get more in when blowing slower (less pressure) and you’ve more chance of catching it before it bungs up.

All bins blow differently, the longer the pipework, the height of the bin, how free the exhaust is all effect it. Some bins when full will blow it all out of the exhaust, some will bung up with no notice and some will give you the telltale signs, lots dust coming out of the exhaust, increased pressure, nuts starting to come out of the exhaust and change in sound.

It’s fairly easy once you’ve done it a few times, all you’re doing is the same as putting a straw in your mouth and blowing peas or whatever through it. Try to blow too many at once and you’ll leak air between your mouth and straw (the relief valve)

stevieboy308:
Spot on by sidevalve.

Other than the 4 bar!! I normally set it to 9 psi if not in a rush, but it’ll go to around 12 psi before you start to trigger the relief valve. Just be aware that as the bin you’re blowing into fills up then then pressure will also start creeping up, so you might set it to 9 psi at the start and you may need to slow it down speed down so you don’t have too much pressure. When nearing the end I can be a good idea to slow it down too, as if you’re going to be tight on space you’ll get more in when blowing slower (less pressure) and you’ve more chance of catching it before it bungs up.

All bins blow differently, the longer the pipework, the height of the bin, how free the exhaust is all effect it. Some bins when full will blow it all out of the exhaust, some will bung up with no notice and some will give you the telltale signs, lots dust coming out of the exhaust, increased pressure, nuts starting to come out of the exhaust and change in sound.

It’s fairly easy once you’ve done it a few times, all you’re doing is the same as putting a straw in your mouth and blowing peas or whatever through it. Try to blow too many at once and you’ll leak air between your mouth and straw (the relief valve)

It should be 0.4 bar, I’ll amend it… I go by the “4” on the gauge as I was taught, never looked what it was in psi.

I’ll add another tip for the OP. You’ll quite often find yourself in a situation where you’ve taken, say, six tons to a farm and the bin will only hold five. Usually this is because the farmer has either miscalculated how much he has left, or more likely he gets a better rate buying six tons. What usually happens is you will be asked to blow the excess feed into bags… not a breathalyser of course but half tonne tote bags. If this happens, you should politely insist that the customer holds the pipe; it may well be company policy anyway. Don’t try doing it yourself, it’s messy!

Sidevalve:

stevieboy308:
Spot on by sidevalve.

It should be 0.4 bar, I’ll amend it… I go by the “4” on the gauge as I was taught, never looked what it was in psi.

I’ll add another tip for the OP. You’ll quite often find yourself in a situation where you’ve taken, say, six tons to a farm and the bin will only hold five. Usually this is because the farmer has either miscalculated how much he has left, or more likely he gets a better rate buying six tons. What usually happens is you will be asked to blow the excess feed into bags… not a breathalyser of course but half tonne tote bags. If this happens, you should politely insist that the customer holds the pipe; it may well be company policy anyway. Don’t try doing it yourself, it’s messy!

Thanks for all your input Sidevalve.

Steve66:
Thanks for all your input Sidevalve.

My pleasure. With your experience on farms you should find it a doddle; as you know yourself that type of work ain’t for everyone but the bonus for me is that you don’t do city centres or RDC’s, and you’re getting paid to enjoy the countryside. You’ll find that the animal feeds drivers are a pretty friendly bunch in the main and (at least down here in Wales) tend to be willing to help each other.

One final tip; you probably know this from your days on the milk but for the benefit of others, a set of OS maps is essential kit. Satnavs are useful but sometimes they won’t guide you to the delivery point.

Don’t forget, everyone in Wales is either called Jones, Davis or Blodwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elsa Lad:

Me too!

What a fantastic post Sidevalve. I have only ever seen those feed trailers in passing but now I feel not only ready but keen to get stuck in as well.

By comparison to what I have come across you would put most trainers and manual writers to absolute shame.

What’s that old saying, those than can do and those that can’t teach.

I suspect the industry is full of people that would make good teachers/trainers, Sidevalve a good example, IF the sodding box ticking and bullshine could be left out of it, AND if said trainers were allowed the say of whether a trainee is up to the job at all, ie being invoved in the initial recruitment stage.

Another tip, although might not be by the book! But once you know what you’re doing with it, if you’ve checked the bin - throwing stones at it if partially full to determine the level and you know it’ll all fit in fine, then I’ll always sit in the cab. but obviously always keeping an eye and ear on it, always try to park so you can see the bin exhaust, bring up the fuel usage on the dash, you can use that like a pressure gauge, on our 450 FM, 9 psi means it runs at 2.2 gallons per hour, as the pressure increases then so does the fuel usage, once it gets to 2.4 I know I need to get out and slow it down to reduce the pressure.

Also if you’re doing chicken feed, just meal not pellets, then you want to have the auger on all the time but only slowly, you should be able to see the end of the auger shaft and just set it so it’s only just turning