A14 Overnight Parking BEWARE

Thought I’d post this as a warning. Pulled into a lay-by on the A14 east-bound last night (although trucks were hit on both sides) between Jct 10 and 11. (Cranford)

Woke up this morning to find, I was one of 4 vehicles in the same lay-by that had been subjected to Diesel Theft, and one of 15 on a 2 mile stretch of the A14.

The thieving scrotes hit 15 trucks. With one driver not noticing his diesel was empty and cutting out 2 mile down the road on the A14 on a really foggy morning, which proved to be very dangerous. Entry was gained to fuel tank by cutting the fuel lines and ripping the pump out. After looking around it became obvious FUEL THEFT IS PROLIFIC IN THIS AREA see pic in link below

https://www.facebook.com/tommy.carden/posts/10156623339189608

is there not a dcpc module telling newbies not to stop on the A14 in case they dont see the signs and the big forkin trailers telling them the same thing■■? :unamused:

dieseldog999:
is there not a dcpc module telling newbies not to stop on the A14 in case they dont see the signs and the big forkin trailers telling them the same thing■■? :unamused:

It’s more common knowledge than 1+1=2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How difficult could it be for the law to set up a bait and nick ‘sting’ operation.Bearing in mind that they know exactly where the bandits will be to carry out the thefts.The tactic worked great some years ago using bait cars to deter car/content thefts.With the win win that it would increase the law’s success points for no effort.

Is there a story behind the Yamaha motorcycle that’s been left in the lay-by near stowmarket for the past 2 week

Does anybody know that Elvis is dead? :open_mouth:

.Not being funny but anybody who overnights in a lay by, (especially on the A14 !) deserves to get turned over imo. :neutral_face: …no sympathy from me whatsoever.

No one deserves to be turned over, what a strange thing to say.

robroy:

.Not being funny but anybody who overnights in a lay by, (especially on the A14 !) deserves to get turned over imo. :neutral_face: …no sympathy from me whatsoever.

So if I’ve hit countless road closures, standstill traffic and miles of queues because of roadworks and ran out of time I deserve my diesel stolen because I had no choice but to park in a layby or run who knows how long over my time?

TheUncaringCowboy:

robroy:

So if I’ve hit countless road closures, standstill traffic and miles of queues because of roadworks and ran out of time I deserve my diesel stolen because I had no choice but to park in a layby or run who knows how long over my time?

In my 25+ years of driving I’ve parked in laybys, er never, why because I plan, and don’t run my time to the end, O and work for a company that pays parking, that helps

TheUncaringCowboy:

robroy:

Ok, but I was aiming my comments at those amongst us who park in lay bys as a first option.
I’ve parked in them for the same reason as you point out, but I can count on one hand in 30+ years how often.
If you park in potential dodgy places…ie lay bys, you should know you have a high chance of getting turned over, either fuel, load or both :bulb: …that was my point.

@Stussy…That’s because I’m a strange kinda guy. :sunglasses:

robroy:

TheUncaringCowboy:

robroy:

Ok, but I was aiming my comments at those amongst us who park in lay bys as a first option.
I’ve parked in them for the same reason as you point out, but I can count on one hand in 30+ years how often.
If you park in potential dodgy places…ie lay bys, you should know you have a high chance of getting turned over, either fuel, load or both :bulb: …that was my point.

@Stussy…That’s because I’m a strange kinda guy. :sunglasses:

Fair enough.

Not like services or half the truckstops around are any better mind you. Personally I would rather not stop at all anywhere south of Tebay, but we’ve got rules to ‘protect’ us that mean I’m supposed to. I’ll stop now before I rant.

So,

If anyone’s boss or planners tell you to go and park on an industrial estate or find a lay-by when you’d prefer someone paid for with facilities, then over the last week we’ve learned go and park near Bedford or on the A14. Some bosses and planners may change their mind next time you have the same argument with them.

wonder how safe the new Rothwell truckstop is? hopefully better than the A14 laybys round Kettering. I live near Kettering and there quite few gipsy sites in the area, now I not saying they got anything to do with the fuel getting nicked, I wouldn’t dare :blush:

Carryfast:
How difficult could it be for the law to set up a bait and nick ‘sting’ operation.Bearing in mind that they know exactly where the bandits will be to carry out the thefts.The tactic worked great some years ago using bait cars to deter car/content thefts.With the win win that it would increase the law’s success points for no effort.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
they tried that years ago where i used to live.
bait car rigged to deadlock the doors and cutout after 5 yards entraping the scallys inside.so…they smashed the window,pulled the barrel,shoved it round the corner,set it on fire and rolled it down a hill…
bait car 2…sierra cossy…same spec…so…they stole a transit spec lift,rammed it up the jacksey,( rwd) lifted the rear axle towed it away and chopped it for spares.
no tracker as they didnt think anyone could nick it,.scallys 2 woodentops nil… :slight_smile:

how would you stand if you confronted a thief who was armed with ,say a knife and you killed him? i was talking with a lad who reckons most knifings happen when someones threatened but they in turn grab the knife and wrongfoot the perpetrator and then stab him

corij:
how would you stand if you confronted a thief who was armed with ,say a knife and you killed him? i was talking with a lad who reckons most knifings happen when someones threatened but they in turn grab the knife and wrongfoot the perpetrator and then stab him

Where I stand is in my bunk and leaving people to get on with stealing either diesel that isn’t mine or a load of stuff that isn’t mine or both.

So long as I’m untouched they can do as they want with the rest. I’ll certainly not confront, that’s what insurance is there to sort out in the aftermath.

Was it just the lay-bys or did any get done in the Bp garage next to the A14 at Kettering the one heading north:?: :question: As i often park in that garage.

fingermissing:
Was it just the lay-bys or did any get done in the Bp garage next to the A14 at Kettering the one heading north:?: :question: As i often park in that garage.

You lucky to get in there, mainly full of flip flops :unamused:

dieseldog999:

diesledog999 there may well be a post. however:

1. I’m not a newbie I’m a well seasoned Trucker of 30 years. I maybe new to the forum and maybe, had a looked in the newbie section it would have helped :blush: Which only goes to prove your never too old to learn something…!

2. it was late and dark when I pulled up so saw no signs, which is more the pity

3. I wasn’t the only one hit there was four of us in the same lay-by and a total of 15 done

I had been aware of Fuel theft on the A14 some years ago, but I had honestly thought it had been stamped out by now. But obviously not…! In my defence it had not been my intention to stay on the A14 in a lay-by. I had a drop at Stanstead Airport at 08:00am, so it had been my intension to get near Cambridge park-up and run-in in the morning. unfortunately due to volume of traffic (people going away for easter weekend). I ran out of time and pulled up at 20:55 with just 5 mins left of a 15hr shift. Had that lay-by been empty I may have questioned it

My reason for posting here was quite simply. to save some other poor sod. Having spoke to the DAF Aid guy (who was fixing the truck in front of me) and the guy from CMG who came out to recovery me to the Merc dealer. This was still a nightly/Weekly occurrence and the police were fully aware of it, but did nothing about it. Having spoke to the police. I was told most truckers don’t bother reporting it, therefore this is an invisible crime and one for insurance companies

robroy:

As for robroy We are all in this game to make a living and no one deserves to get turned over wherever they par, this game is hard enough these day. As I’ve stated I ran out of time so had no choice and at the risk of sounding old school. I can remember when all truckers lived by “One For All and All For One”. The days when roping and sheeting in the wind and there’d be three truckers on the back holding your sheet down till you got your rope started and you’d stand even in the ■■■■■■■ rain chatting helping another trucker roll his straps or put his ropes away and fold up his tarp

biggriffin:

TheUncaringCowboy:
In my 25+ years of driving I’ve parked in laybys, er never, why because I plan, and don’t run my time to the end, O and work for a company that pays parking, that helps

Biggriffin I work for company that pays parking but when you’ve got deadlines, imposed by Easter breaks and Airport security. Then planning doesn’t always work. But when someone is an owner driver, they will always work till the end. That is not being careless and it’s not being stupid. It is good business practice. As for always parking in decent Truck Stop your restricted to a certain area or very lucky. Alconbury has long been gone off the A14 Truck Stops are limited, and services are no more secure than lay-by’s

Motzil:

robroy:

As for robroy We are all in this game to make a living and no one deserves to get turned over wherever they par, this game is hard enough these day. As I’ve stated I ran out of time so had no choice and at the risk of sounding old school. I can remember when all truckers lived by “One For All and All For One”. The days when roping and sheeting in the wind and there’d be three truckers on the back holding your sheet down till you got your rope started and you’d stand even in the ■■■■■■■ rain chatting helping another trucker roll his straps or put his ropes away and fold up his tarp

Just to explain what I meant…Firstly you were stating the bleeding obvious, of course you are going to get turned over on the A14, it’s about 5 years ago since I was down that end, and there were warning signs and trailer signs (The Police cop out type to excuse their lack of policing) even then.
Secondly I never park in lay bys unless ABSOLUTELY bloody desperate, (like as it turned out you were) but if under my control at all I would park up a lot sooner to avoid it.

If I did lay by park, I would be totally aware I was at high risk, so if I parked there as a first option, I reckon I would deserve to get robbed because of my stupidity.

I am also old school and share your sentiments, but I have a low tolerance threshold towards idiots, so I stand by what I say about first option lack of imagination regular lay by parkers…the fact that many of them have to pull their mirrors in without spotting the message that is being sent to them :unamused: , kinda illustrates my point do you not think? . :bulb:

Thirdly wtf has helping other drivers with sheets got to do with this.? :neutral_face: .