Starting again at 64!

Bear with me guys, its advice I’m after.

Until 2008 I drove HGV C&E (trunking) for various agencies. At the end of 2008 I emigrated to Asia to do something else entirely and my licence expired. I’m now considering coming back to the UK in the next couple of months and I’m 64 this month. I’m never going to run a four minute mile or do tramping at my age, but I’m in A1 health, perfect blood pressure, don’t drink, no points … The knowledge is still there, although it’s obviously going to be a bit rusty.

I realize I’d have to start from scratch again with the licence which isn’t a problem, but realistically are there vacancies for drivers of my age and ignoring the usual hype of companies queuing up outside the test center looking for drivers, or agency promises of, ‘register with us we have lots of work?’

What’s your opinion and advice? Do you recommend going back into driving? Is there work at my age? Which are the best locations for employment …?

I’m not 100% sure but I’m fairly certain as you have passed your tests previously and only let your licence lapse. That you can have a medical and reapply for your licence to be reinstated without having to take your tests again.

Although you may need to be able to prove when and where your test was taken, so I suppose it depends on records being available and how long ago you did them.

Also to drive commercially now you need to COMPLETE your initial CPC and also periodic CPC training.

simcor:
I’m not 100% sure but I’m fairly certain as you have passed your tests previously and only let your licence lapse. That you can have a medical and reapply for your licence to be reinstated without having to take your tests again.

Although you may need to be able to prove when and where your test was taken, so I suppose it depends on records being available and how long ago you did them.

Also to drive commercially now you need to COMPLETE your initial CPC and also periodic CPC training.

That would be great simcor. I can’t remember the name of the test center and I’ve tried looking for it on the net, but can’t find it. I’m sure I’d recognize the name if I heard it again, but it was near Manchester, in 1988. I still have an old lost and found again HGV licence and I suppose DVLA would have the details? If I get opinions that there are jobs out there, I’m certainly willing to do a CPC.

I think you…

Will have to take lessons again and pass a test etc. Factor the DCPC costs on top of that, the uncertainty of good regular work (the possibility of recession), the lies of agencies and your left with very little incentive.

The DVLA will give you the straight answers you need.

The initial CPC involves a driving (practical and theory) test. I don’t believe that an existing licence holder would have to do that unless that’s what’s needed to get a card. 35 hours of periodic training should be all that is required but to be sure you should contact the DVLA.

Come to think of it, a driving test would be no bad thing after 10 years away.

Found this…

‘Your existing licence will only expire if you do not complete your medical standards test when you reach the age of 45 or if you miss one of the obligatory medicals; it’s mandatory that all HGV drivers undertake a medical once every five years. If you do lose your entitlement to your licence through one of these causes, however, you simply have to complete a medical and send off for your licence again. Under the current rules, the DVLA will issue you another licence as there is no time limit.’

Ignore my earlier response. As long as you can complete the medical, according to the above you’re good to go.

My opinions on the other things I pointed out still stand.

Good luck.

My licence lapsed in 2009 and in 2017 I just took a medical and reapplied, no problem but then you will have to take 5 driver cpc modules before you can drive again.

You need to get an HGV renewal form at a main post office, pass a medical and do 35 hours Dcpc and you’ll be back on the road in no time.
You can check Dvla has your details at viewdrivingrecord.service.g … nce-number but at 64 I’m pretty sure they will have them.
You won’t need to take lessons as I guarantee it’ll all come back to you as soon as you get behind the wheel.
Getting a job shouldn’t be a problem as there are companies such as ours (Waitrose) who don’t have any age limit. We’ve got a couple of 75 year olds still with us.

Grandpa:

simcor:

That would be great simcor. I can’t remember the name of the test center and I’ve tried looking for it on the net, but can’t find it. I’m sure I’d recognize the name if I heard it again, but it was near Manchester, in 1988. I still have an old lost and found again HGV licence and I suppose DVLA would have the details? If I get opinions that there are jobs out there, I’m certainly willing to do a CPC.

Manchester test stations were Bredbury, Stockport and Chadderton, Oldham.

Callaghan was one of the Examiners - didn’t pass people lightly !

The biggest hurdle will be having to endure that dcpc dog ■■■■ for 35 hours in a block.
The driving side will just come back natural I would have thought, like not forgetting how to ride a bike…the theorists on here will no doubt disagree.

As for getting a work, I would have thought anybody would be willing to take on a good experienced driver, just look at some of the clowns " driving’’ today (term used loosely btw) who manage to achieve employment :unamused: … and you do not have to be completely honest in the interview either :bulb: …I can hear those guys again spitting their tea out. :unamused: :laughing:

Good luck with it all mate anyway. :wink:

As has been said it just a mater of having the HGV medical and you should be able to get your licence back, as you never had a DQC I believe you can choose to do the initial CPC mods 2 and 4 or do the 35 hours periodic training, the periodic training is more fail safe as there’s no test to fail :wink:

I was off the lories for over 20 years then started again without any lessons, I did a 7.5t job then went on to class 2 for a little while before going back on the artics, but to be honest I was surprised how easily I got back into driving artics after over 20 years.

Go for it and good luck :wink:

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve just had a good re-think and I’m sure my original test center was Heywood, North Manchester but I can’t seem to find it online. I remember you could stand on the road outside and look down at the tests being conducted. This is back in 1988. I accessed the link wing-nut gave and got this.

It just says expired and hopefully I can un-expire it with a medical, or does expired mean finished, no longer valid and start again? I’ll have to contact the DVLA about that. I’d be quite honest and upfront in interviews as due to emigrating I have a big gap in my UK work record. Around the time my licence expired I was working in Inner Mongolia! I don’t suppose they’ve heard that one before. I have to wait till I return to the UK as my licence address isn’t valid anymore and I’d certainly take a few lessons just to be on the safe side and get back into the swing of things.

Message you got from Dvla simply means expired due to medical running out. You’re always entitled to your HGV license subject to submitting medical.

Grandpa:
Thanks for all the advice. I’ve just had a good re-think and I’m sure my original test center was Heywood, North Manchester but I can’t seem to find it online. I remember you could stand on the road outside and look down at the tests being conducted. This is back in 1988. I accessed the link wing-nut gave and got this.

It just says expired and hopefully I can un-expire it with a medical, or does expired mean finished, no longer valid and start again? I’ll have to contact the DVLA about that. I’d be quite honest and upfront in interviews as due to emigrating I have a big gap in my UK work record. Around the time my licence expired I was working in Inner Mongolia! I don’t suppose they’ve heard that one before. I have to wait till I return to the UK as my licence address isn’t valid anymore and I’d certainly take a few lessons just to be on the safe side and get back into the swing of things.

You are correct, it was Heywood not Chadderton !

wing-nut:
Message you got from Dvla simply means expired due to medical running out. You’re always entitled to your HGV license subject to submitting medical.

Thanks wing-nut, you’re a Godsend. Now I have to find an area of high C&E demand (if any exist), as I arrive at Heathrow homeless. I think the end of May will see me returning.

I reckon that the O.P. should pass the medical and with his licence in hand book some training with a school that is accredited with JAUPT. Take three days driving training to get the hang of modern vehicles one day on tachos and a day on first aid. then good to go.

alamcculloch:
I reckon that the O.P. should pass the medical and with his licence in hand book some training with a school that is accredited with JAUPT. Take three days driving training to get the hang of modern vehicles one day on tachos and a day on first aid. then good to go.

One day driving in an auto artic may be enough? Depends how much car driving the OP has done, and moreover where it’s been done?
As you say a day ’ on tachos and hours regs…
First aid is another good shout IMHO.
Maybe DG awareness?
Plus the obligatory course in recognition and avoidance of RDC bores.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Grandpa:

wing-nut:

Thanks wing-nut, you’re a Godsend. Now I have to find an area of high C&E demand (if any exist), as I arrive at Heathrow homeless. I think the end of May will see me returning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
get a job on euro work and be away for 3 or 4 weeks at a time then you wont need the trouble of a house.
( not that you will get one unless you go straight into private rent).
if you have a dual nationality passport then you may jump the queue a tad,but if your uk pink and single then you might as well buy a tent.
live and earn out of the truck,then do a travel lodge one weekend a month or whatever.
nighting out in europe and getting paid for it beats sitting in a rdc all day and going home to a scabby rental debating on whether to set your alarm for your next agency shift or just slitting your wrists in the bath.
the 1st day,the nearside mirrir will feel like its 20 feet away…by the end of your first week,itl be like your back after a 2 week holiday.

dieseldog999:
debating on whether to set your alarm for your next agency shift or just slitting your wrists in the bath.

:laughing: :laughing: An excellent analysis on being an agency dayman I would imagine. :laughing:
Is this your way of getting back at them on here, when they chuck the old chestnut at us trampers (proper drivers :sunglasses: :smiley: ) about… unpaid security guard, kipping in a tin box, wet wipe washes and a Ginsters pie/cans of Coke diet. :smiley:

It was easier when I made my comeback. I didn’t mention the ten-year gap to the agency and there was no DCPC then. The agency sent me somewhere that had ERFs with twin splitters, so the TM asked me if I had driven one before. That gave me ten minutes in the cab with their trainer, before they sent me off to Runcorn in the dark and the rain. Scary stuff…:slight_smile: