Minimum Wage Increase

thesun.co.uk/money/8634007/ … e-goes-up/

So the minimum wage is rising. Will be on a par with what some agencies are offering for Class 2 & at times Class 1 work.
Can’t wait till this has a knock on effect & creates an improvement for ourselves…hmmmmm [emoji848]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I’ve seen supermarkets offering more to stack shelves than some agencies are for class 1 work.

westermant:
I’ve seen supermarkets offering more to stack shelves than some agencies are for class 1 work.

Go for it then…

Be sure to tell us exactly how many hours per week you actually get to work (probably 20 if you’re lucky) and don’t forget to tell us what it’s like working under a 19yr old try-hard wanna-be manager with an overinflated sense of self importance who thinks anyone over the age of 35 is a crusty old useless waste of space who deserves nothing other than contempt and derision.

Oh and then tell us when you’re starting back on the ■■■■ easy job on the lorries… [emoji38]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reef:

westermant:

Go for it then…

Be sure to tell us exactly how many hours per week you actually get to work (probably 20 if you’re lucky) and don’t forget to tell us what it’s like working under a 19yr old try-hard wanna-be manager with an overinflated sense of self importance who thinks anyone over the age of 35 is a crusty old useless waste of space who deserves nothing other than contempt and derision.

Oh and then tell us when you’re starting back on the ■■■■ easy job on the lorries… [emoji38]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

This

Also don’t forget the 20 hours will be in the evening and weekend and no chance of time off at Christmas.

westermant:

That’s right.Aldi pay more as some driving jobs.But will prob be zero hours contracts.Or 20hrs a week.Not really a good example.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What some agencies are offering? Employers are just as bad or worse. Bearing in mind minimum wage will be £8.21 as of April these lot are offering £8.50 for the first 47.5 hours.

That is a ■■■■■■■ disgrace and I don’t see how anyone can justify it with, well it’s easy work etc etc.

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=f … ield%2BHD8

At least they have the balls to put it on the advert

Why is Supermarket shelf stacker always given as an example to oppose truck driving wages.
Why are no other professions used as an analogy.

Is it because both roles are suitable for both, a shelf stacker can drive a truck, a truck driver can stack a shelf.
Yes I know a shelf stacker would have to pay for a licence.
I have to pay for a licence to go fishing for instance.

chester:
Why is Supermarket shelf stacker always given as an example to oppose truck driving wages.

Is it because both roles are suitable for both, a shelf stacker can drive a truck, a truck driver can stack a shelf.

Probably because people think it’s a cushy number and anyone can do it.

It used to be cushy but is now hard work and closely monitored for productivity.

However not experience is required. No training to pay for and most roles have very little responsibility

kcrussell25:

chester:

It used to be cushy but is now hard work and closely monitored for productivity.

However not experience is required. No training to pay for and most roles have very little responsibility

Maybe at coop. But I have experience of the big two supermarkets and I’d say shelf stackers sill have it easy.

Let’s be honest - putting some stuff out and scanning a barcode is hardly rocket science.

sammym:

kcrussell25:

chester:

Maybe at coop. But I have experience of the big two supermarkets and I’d say shelf stackers sill have it easy.

Let’s be honest - putting some stuff out and scanning a barcode is hardly rocket science.

No but it is physically demanding as putting 8 x 6ft pallets of pop and beer (and all other “favours” in between) on shelves in timed targets is definitely not easy work as I know first hand because I was a shelf stacker (for 11yrs) before becoming a “Trucker”.

Ahem, last week I had to do a night shift in a 7.5t instead of my usual 18t, looked at my payslip yesterday, got paid @ 8.47 for that one, job location is West Midlands near B’ham soooo…I was making that on a day shift picking stuff stacking pallets and wrapping them. Happy times.

ETS:
Ahem, last week I had to do a night shift in a 7.5t instead of my usual 18t, looked at my payslip yesterday, got paid @ 8.47 for that one, job location is West Midlands near B’ham soooo… Happy times.

And probably run off your feet all day for that. Eh?
I always arrange hourly rate beforehand. Been caught out before in similar situation

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Your hard working MP’s awarded themselves £2000 a year increase - - - -

sammym:

kcrussell25:

chester:

20 years for Morrisons and Sainsbury’s before I started driving and I will agree with the post below it’s hard work. How hard you have it depends on your manager. They are getting harder now days because there are less people and it’s easy to monitor.

I did 64 hours of duty this week and booked 23 of them on break. I’ll stick to driving rather than stacking shelves

The national minimum wage won’t make a blind bit of difference to your wage if you are over 25.
Wages are in 2 scales
National Minimum Wage which is the minimum you are allowed to be paid,

National Living Wage which is the minimum the government says you need to live on per week / month.

If you break you wage down to the hours you work you’ll find that you’ll be on a lot less than the NMW but your weekly / monthly wage will be well above the NLW

Enjoy the confusion and let the chuntering begin

I used to work as a shelf stacker for Tesco.

Hourly rates look alright on paper vs truck drivers but full time contracts were hard to come by unless you were management, increasingly so as time went on. Staff working full time on days in the likes of Tesco are usually old timers on old contracts.

A full time contract is 37.5 hours… 37.5 x £8.50ph x 52 weeks = £16,575 per year. Overtime? Forget it. I could pick up the odd shift every now and again but usually got met with “sorry, no money in the budget” when I asked for extra hours. Section manager salaries are only in the low 20s, you have to get to senior management level in store before you would start matching your Class 1 earnings.

It is NOT a viable alternative to driving lorries for a living. You’d be skint. Why does this lame argument keep being rehashed?

I tried shelf stacking but was sacked for putting the milk next to the tea, and biscuits on the same shelf. :smiley:

rob22888:
I used to work as a shelf stacker for Tesco.

Hourly rates look alright on paper vs truck drivers but full time contracts were hard to come by unless you were management, increasingly so as time went on. Staff working full time on days in the likes of Tesco are usually old timers on old contracts.

A full time contract is 37.5 hours… 37.5 x £8.50ph x 52 weeks = £16,575 per year. Overtime? Forget it. I could pick up the odd shift every now and again but usually got met with “sorry, no money in the budget” when I asked for extra hours. Section manager salaries are only in the low 20s, you have to get to senior management level in store before you would start matching your Class 1 earnings.

It is NOT a viable alternative to driving lorries for a living. You’d be skint. Why does this lame argument keep being rehashed?

Tesco full time contract 37.5 hours per week
A truck driver can often find himself working double this, per week to achieve the same standard of living as a shelf stacker.
Hence why it gets rehashed.

A country dominated by low paying ‘jobs’ varying wildly between under employment and over work in an over supplied labour market.All since its industry and with it job opportunities and demand for labour,was massacred long ago all based on the excuse that Brit workers expect too much pay for too little work so much better to give their jobs to the lowest bidder and what’s left goes to the Germans.

As for the road transport industry it’s so much better to send as much freight as possible by rail with resulting effects on job opportunities and wage levels within the industry.

I’m no economist and maybe this view is a bit simplistic but does anyone else suspect that the NMW is actually a brake on earnings, the endless supply of cheap foreign labour coming from economies where £8 odd an hour is problably 3time what they earn at home coupled with the universal credit effect where the work-shy and people trapped on benefits have to go out and work and bosses have no real need to pay anymore, discuss