Driver killed by tail lift

What a way to go. Can’t see how the lift could automatically close like that. Must have been a cantilever but they stop when you release the button surely?

google.com/url?sa=i&source= … 7671382437

Also had 2 drivers die on the job at our place in the last month from heart attacks. Stay safe out there

Another day, same old crap. As usual, someone has to die or suffer life changing injuries before companies will take things seriously.

Here’s the crux of the matter…

“No staff were on duty to help with out-of-hours deliveries”.

Harry Monk:

Most other industries don’t allow single working, Whoops I forgot were in driving type industry, different rules

Harry Monk:

It also says he was too close to the wall. If so, like so many accidents it was caused by laziness.

Regardless rip to the driver

idrive:
What a way to go. Can’t see how the lift could automatically close like that. Must have been a cantilever but they stop when you release the button surely?

google.com/url?sa=i&source= … 7671382437

Also had 2 drivers die on the job at our place in the last month from heart attacks. Stay safe out there

The tail lift got so high and then snapped shut. They were a new type of tail lift which the company had not long before the accident bought in.

kcrussell25:

Harry Monk:

It also says he was too close to the wall. If so, like so many accidents it was caused by laziness.

I’m not quite sure where “laziness” comes into it?

Harry Monk:

kcrussell25:

Harry Monk:

To say his death was down to laziness is just not true. It was the first time he had delivered to that shop and had positioned the vehicle square with the loading bay. What didn’t help was the poor lighting in a dark basement and the poor lad was unaware of his surroundings

Harry Monk:

kcrussell25:

Harry Monk:

If it was to close to the wall to lazy to walk back to the cab and move away

astanka:

Harry Monk:

kcrussell25:

Harry Monk:

To say his death was down to laziness is just not true. It was the first time he had delivered to that shop and had positioned the vehicle square with the loading bay. What didn’t help was the poor lighting in a dark basement and the poor lad was unaware of his surroundings

I don’t know the store so can’t comment on issues at the location but the way I read the report he was incorrectly positioned and should have moved rather than reach across

CSI Trucknet strikes again

It’s no use pulling it apart and trying to figure out what happened, the inquest found the driver died as the result of “an accident” and that T J Hughes were at fault.

RIP Driver

Grumpy Dad:
CSI Trucknet strikes again

It’s no use pulling it apart and trying to figure out what happened, the inquest found the driver died as the result of “an accident” and that T J Hughes were at fault.

RIP Driver

Yes but what to people armed with all the facts of the case know? Speculation and opinion always gets the right result, 100% of the time.

Personally I often wonder when I see them how it’s “health and safety” compliant to be working in a lone environment and working up a height?

I’m confused. How in this age of health & safety obsession does any unmanned single driver shop delivery pass any H & S assessment. It cannot be on the basis if the driver carrying a mobile phone as in this instance he wouldn’t have been able to use one.
Do they have personal emergency alarms linked to the vehicle to call for help in the event of a problem? Would seem to be a good idea at the very minimum.

There are way too many things that can go wrong when delivering to an unmanned shop overnight. Along with physical accidents there’s also a risk of being attacked by persons wishing to enter the shop to rob it.

Is it really the case that these shop chains put cost before safety and really don’t give a ■■■■ about the driver.

Harry Monk:

Absolutely spot on. No one should be expected to work on an unattended site unless specific measures have been put in place to monitor their safety. These days it is far easier to do so than it used to be. Mobile and cab phones, Isotrack type systems and neck worn panic buttons all offer means of being aware that the employee hasn’t made contact for either 20 minutes, or the vehicle hasn’t moved.

Even 20 - 30 years ago I had strict instructions not to work alone without either ringing in every 30 minutes if on site alone, or at one employer the two of us in the workshop at night were told that if a breakdown call came in the other must sit in the mess room until the other returned. Neither of these employers were large organisations.

Edit add: I can’t say that I disagree with tgtrucker.

From the picture of the entrance I believe that I may have been to that site, not for home bargains, and it was a dire place to go. Used to have 2 docks one of which had a scissor lift which had the deck which would rock meaning pallets would bet stuck, cages would roll. That was very close to a wall on the near side very dark and with limited manoeuvring space. regularly struggled with kit, from maintenance operations/refits, parked restricting it even more.

The taillift was used to bridge the gap between the lorry & the dock & we always used to approach off square to the dock lower the tail lift and square up in the final 4-5 feet there was no space to get to the external controls once on the dock & no tilt controls inside the trailer. I would not be surprised if the driver hit the stow rather than deploy button fumbling blind as they are usually at the top of the cluster.

Sorry state of affairs and very sad for the family of Mr Pickering.

The insurer of T J Morris is now trying to recover losses from Dhollandia which were incurred as a result of initially taking the blame for the death, the court heard.
Judge Amjad Nawaz ruled: "The death was due to an unknown and unforeseeable design fault in the tail lift and not the company.

That is one of the most sickening aspects about this how the hell have the taillift company failed to warn about the risks of working alone, in a dangerous environment. What a dreadful entity T J Morris appear to be.

I`m not a sentimental type of guy but this is heartbreaking.
What a way to go…and for someone on here armed with a report from the newspaper, an idle few minutes and a laptop to call the poor man lazy is beyond any sort of reason. Shame.

cheekymonkey:
I`m not a sentimental type of guy but this is heartbreaking.
What a way to go…and for someone on here armed with a report from the newspaper, an idle few minutes and a laptop to call the poor man lazy is beyond any sort of reason. Shame.

For the record I said rip and I also hope for his sake he never knew what hit him.

The way that was reported implied to me that the truck was in the wrong place and he was therefore reaching across where he shouldn’t have, rather than the move the truck

Wiretwister:
From the picture of the entrance I believe that I may have been to that site, not for home bargains, and it was a dire place to go. Used to have 2 docks one of which had a scissor lift which had the deck which would rock meaning pallets would bet stuck, cages would roll. That was very close to a wall on the near side very dark and with limited manoeuvring space. regularly struggled with kit, from maintenance operations/refits, parked restricting it even more.

The taillift was used to bridge the gap between the lorry & the dock & we always used to approach off square to the dock lower the tail lift and square up in the final 4-5 feet there was no space to get to the external controls once on the dock & no tilt controls inside the trailer. I would not be surprised if the driver hit the stow rather than deploy button fumbling blind as they are usually at the top of the cluster.

Sorry state of affairs and very sad for the family of Mr Pickering.

The insurer of T J Morris is now trying to recover losses from Dhollandia which were incurred as a result of initially taking the blame for the death, the court heard.
Judge Amjad Nawaz ruled: "The death was due to an unknown and unforeseeable design fault in the tail lift and not the company.

That is one of the most sickening aspects about this how the hell have the taillift company failed to warn about the risks of working alone, in a dangerous environment. What a dreadful entity T J Morris appear to be.

The first bay on the nearside is we’re the home bargains delivery point is. Although they must have taken the scissor lift out years ago because It was never in when I made deliveries there. And your right about the space available, it was shocking. I used to drop the tail lift and then reverse towards the bay, although this was not company procedure I felt it was the safest way to do it so you weren’t operating a tail lift with a wall directly behind you with hardly any leverage. The risk assessment at the time did not take into account the minimal room the driver had and each driver had there own way of doing it.

Tgtrucker:
I’m confused. How in this age of health & safety obsession does any unmanned single driver shop delivery pass any H & S assessment. It cannot be on the basis if the driver carrying a mobile phone as in this instance he wouldn’t have been able to use one.
Do they have personal emergency alarms linked to the vehicle to call for help in the event of a problem? Would seem to be a good idea at the very minimum.

There are way too many things that can go wrong when delivering to an unmanned shop overnight. Along with physical accidents there’s also a risk of being attacked by persons wishing to enter the shop to rob it.

Is it really the case that these shop chains put cost before safety and really don’t give a [zb] about the driver.

Going to name names. And I can back it up with payslips if challenged.

Via agency I worked for eurocarparts. It was a good job. Well paid and great trucks. But I was given keys and delivered alone at night. That included very heavy and dangerous stuff. Once I was nearly seriously hurt when a cage of air filters at the bottom and clutched and break disks at the top went over when taking it over the lip of the taillift.

I had no induction. I had no assessment (it was just a case of being told here is the keys). And I had no training.

Looking back I can’t believe how daft I was. I was lucky. Some blokes have been seriously hurt on that job. And they have been paid out. In the end I was not offered any work after my diesel was knicked - they must have thought I was involved even though I was not. I am grateful they didn’t want me, as I could have been killed or maimed realistically.

Firms but profits before safety. Sadly.

What more can any of us say. RIP driver and sympathies to his family. We can only hope that this sorry incident brings about change in as much as staff being on duty and/or a drivers mate goes out with them. Also some proper lighting in some of these dumps.