And another Cash Cow

From ITV News website

Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone approved:
Plans for a Clean Air Zone in Birmingham have been approved by the government.

Under the proposals, some drivers will now have to pay £8 a day to drive in the city, whilst HGV drivers face a £50 charge.

But who will be affected and when will it come into action? Here’s everything you need to know.

Where is the Clean Air Zone?
The Clean Air Zone, or CAZ, covers all the roads within the A4540 Middleway Ring Road, but not the Middleway itself

When does it come into effect?
The exact start date hasn’t been confirmed yet, but it’s expected to come into force in January 2020. The charge will then apply 24/7, 365 days a year.

How much will I have to pay?
Under the proposals, cars, taxis - including Hackney Carriages and Private Hire cars - and LGVs will pay £8 a day.

HGVs, coaches and buses will pay £50 a day.

You will only pay the charge once per day and there are some exemptions (more on this below).

Does the charge apply to newer cars?
Diesel cars older than a EURO 6 (manufactured before 2015) and petrol cars older than EURO 4 (made before 2006) will have to pay the charge.

HGV drivers will be charged £50 a day.
HGV drivers will be charged £50 a day. Credit: PA
What about if I live in the city centre?
There are some exemptions for people who live in the city centre or commute.

If you have lived in the city centre since before September 2018, you won’t be charged for driving in the CAZ until January 2022. Birmingham City Council said they hope to be able to offer additional incentives, such as public transport tickets or money towards a replacement compliant vehicle.

If you commute into the CAZ and earn less than £30,000 a year, you won’t have to pay the charge until January 2021. The Council hopes to offer similar incentives to the ones listed above.

Vehicles registered with disabled tax class will be exempt altogether and people visiting key hospitals, GP offices and care homes within the Clean Air Zone will be exempt from the charge for a year.

Here’s a map of the area covered

It is not a money raising scheme. It’s for our own good health being . Less pollution better for our quality of life. If you live in Birmingham city centre.

edd1974:
It is not a money raising scheme. It’s for our own good health being . Less pollution better for our quality of life. If you live in Birmingham city centre.

how can you have a better quality of life living in Birmingham, never happen

Good, hopefully no one will want to pay it and i can then stop going to the ■■■■■■■■ :smiling_imp: if i never go there again, i will die a happy man. And bath, i hope they bring it in there too. It will be funny when all these belters what voted in favour then start moaning about prices being hiked and everything being too expensive, then vote in favour to scrap it. Typical english logic from the powers that be, not a ■■■■■■■ clue of how the world works, or real world experience.

edd1974:

It is a money raising scheme. If it was for our own good health, then why dont they put a ban on all motor vehicles unless electric or lpg powered? What do you think £50 is going to go towards? Someone has oviously monitered the traffic going in and out, seen how many lorrys go in and out, thought up the sum they could make, probably had a ■■■■■■■■■ at the thought of being no.1 councillor, got the go ahead. Hopefully it backfires and they get known as being the ■■■■■■ who ruined a county

Only way it won’t happen, is if Costa, Gregg’s, and a like all refused to deliver within these lez, they would disappear overnight.

I think that it’s a genius altruistic idea that will benefit immensely those who live in the area as they will be surrounded by a bubble of clean fresh air. We all know of course that air doesn’t move at all. :wink:

It’s a way of dealing with the problem.
Just not that effective.

If you want to cut emissions look to the gig economy.

Ban all amazon/parcel deliveries. This will take thousands of vans/cars off of the road. If people want parcels delivered they can choose pick up local at their local town/shop. This will allow one truck to the job of dozens of vans/cars.

Ban all fast food deliveries.
This is simple it will force people to either go get the food themselves or just cook.
People mainly only use it for the convenience anyway. Local businesses often don’t like it due to the cut apps like justeat take aswell.
This again will take alot of vehicles off the road.

Ban uber.
Or at the very least only let them operate if they use electric cars.
Let the licenced taxi firms know that they will be expected to upgrade to fully electric taxis in return for a market without uber.

Now all this is practical but will not fly.
People like their conviences too much.

Also Rather amusing that the youngsters that care so much about climate change are the ones upgrading their phones each year…
That’s another thing they could deal with disposable tech…

Who on here drives a truck that isn’t Euro 6 rated?

toonsy:

This makes me laugh at times. I’d say 90+%of us do. So we can enter not pay the charge as we are clean and friendly.

Yet you listen to government jo public etc.
It is always us truck drivers who are polluting the atmosphere causing global warming. It’s always our fault.

The people who drive older polluting cars etc arnt to blame.
No it’s is us truck who get all the blame

I’m still unsure on how the government will keep the air from moving in and around any place with Caz.

It’ll be the customer who ultimately pays for it much like VAT, a business charges vat to the next person down the food chain and claims it back from the tax man. But as joe public isn’t vat registered they can’t claim It back

toonsy:

Me. There is not one on the firm.

Some of you really don’t get it, do you? If we want a planet that our grandchildren can live in, we have to do something now. This kind of action (LEZ) will force people to switch to vehicles that qualify as low-emission. In a few decades, we will all be driving trucks/cars that are either fully electric of at least, hybrid.

I was around in 1956 when the Clean Air Act was passed. Before that almost every home and factory had chimneys belching soot, sulphur and smoke into the air - you may have heard of smog, but you probably have no idea what it was like to ■■■■■ your way down the street, struggling to breathe and unable to see more than a few feet through streaming eyes. People protested then: How will we heat our homes? Smokeless fuel is too expensive… Politicians are profiteering from the suppliers.

Putting a tax on something is a well-established way of steering people away from it. At first, the tax on tobacco was easily swallowed, but as it has inexorably increased, so people have moved away from it. When I was a teenager, anyone who didn’t smoke was seen as a bit odd; now, less than 15% have ever smoked.

All the time on this forum, we see cries of “Another cash cow”: Speed cameras, LEZs, VED, fuel duty, and so on. For the most part it’s fairly easy to avoid paying: Stick to the limit, run a Euro 6, go electric. It’s not rocket science. Of course, once we all stop paying this way, the government will have to find another source of income, but, to quote Benjamin Franklin; “in this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.”

I’m all for it
Every bit helps.
I just hate that us truck drivers get all the blame for it. When we are all mostly compliant.
It’s people in cars taxis and buses that need to change there ways.

edd1974:
I’m all for it
Every bit helps.
I just hate that us truck drivers get all the blame for it. When we are all mostly compliant.
It’s people in cars taxis and buses that need to change there ways.

Modern buses are just the same as us as in they’re all low ultra low emission. In fact some are hybrid/gas powered etc etc.

meaningless cash cow that will serve no purpose or have any effect on anyone in birmingham whatsoever other than the motorist being yet another cash cow and easy target.
the zone is only the tip of the iceberg.
the real profit will come from enforcement penalties and debt collection ripoff penalties for the initial fine for not having a ticket though id imagine a massive percentage in birmingham will just be exempt because their “brother” bought the penalised car from them yesterday and sold it to another illegal unregistered taliban the next day.
there can be no quality of life in that area even if the streets were paved with gold due to the entire city being one big toilet anyway.

dieseldog999:
meaningless cash cow that will serve no purpose or have any effect on anyone in birmingham whatsoever other than the motorist being yet another cash cow and easy target.
the real profit will come from enforcement penalties and debt collection ripoff penalties for the initial fine for not having a ticket though id imagine a massive percentage in birmingham will just be exempt because their “brother” bought the penalised car from them yesterday and sold it to another illegal unregistered taliban the next day.
there can be no quality of life in that area even if the streets were paved with gold due to the entire city being one big toilet anyway.

Racist.

Bigoted.

Ill-informed.

The trademarks of your posting. And a disgrace to this fine forum.

It shall serve the purpose of cleaning up the horrendous air pollution in Birmingham. People/firms running older polluters will upgrade them because it’s the right financial decisions. I think that’s the part you don’t get.

sammym:

dieseldog999:

Racist.

Bigoted.

Ill-informed.

The trademarks of your posting. And a disgrace to this fine forum.

It shall serve the purpose of cleaning up the horrendous air pollution in Birmingham. People/firms running older polluters will upgrade them because it’s the right financial decisions. I think that’s the part you don’t get.

accurate.
accurate
bluntly honest
are you trying to tell me the vast majority of the balti triangle is pink and indigenously english,or are you just trying and failing miserably yet again at another weekend trolling attempt??
people will be forced by legislation to buy new vehicles and at the end of the day,they will all pay with no noticable improvement anywhere.
birmingham city centre will still be the same poxhole the way its always been similar to london.

I’m sure I heard there offering a scrappage scheme of sorts to help people buy a newer veichel at a discount price…

And on the plus side if you live outside of Birmingham. And arnt to bothered about the environment
. I imagine your be able to buy a cheap used diesel car from the area. As nobody in the area will be buying them .