This Takes the Mickey, Extract More Cash from Lorry Drivers

Taken from RHA website

Car Park Trap for Lorry Drivers
RHA member Robert Wilcox has hit out at a Kent service area for slapping charges on HGV parking periods longer than 35 minutes – ten minutes short of the 45 minute rest break timing.

Mr Wilcox, from Massey-Wilcox Transport Limited, said the reduction in free parking time to 35 minutes means any HGV driver who has pulled in to take a 45 minute break will "fall foul of this latest trap to extricate cash from our industry.”

He continued: “I would like to know why 35 minutes was chosen as the break point and not 45 minutes? However in all honesty and with the exception of Euro Car Parks, I think we all know why.”

The Esso site at Cobham just off the A2 has 11 HGV parking spaces and it used to be free to park there. The garage owner MRH (now part of the MFG group) and Euro Car Parks say they have had major congestion problems restricting access to the pumps and some vehicles were left there “for weeks at a time.” The RHA has challenged the 35 minute break point with the garage who say this was suggested by Euro Car Parks.

In turn ECP said they were looking to roll out this model wider.

The Department for Transport are believed to be interested in supporting this model for small scale HGV parking arguing that it would provide drivers with access to a toilet and hot food and drinks.

Operators please note: HGVs are charged £1 per hour for every hour if staying longer than the 35 minute free period and £10.99 for overnight stays.

Link to article Car Park Trap for Lorry Drivers

Even raising the limit to 45 mins wouldn’t be enough, as by the time you’ve got past the ANPR cameras at the entrance, found a suitable ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and taken a 45 before exiting past the ANPR cameras at the exit, I’d say you’d need in excess of 1hr free parking

I total agree with them,you should take your breaks before you get there,if you did not no, nothing in this life is for free.all you are doing is taking up space from the people that need to take a break

Take a 15, then drive out and back in again, and take a 30. Unless they have a rule about not re-entering within a certain amount of time. It would be difficult to drive past the cameras, take a 30, and get back out before 35.

A accidental greasy finger print on the number plate solves it all :laughing:

One possible solution would be a total boycott of the services. Yes I know that traditionally lorry drivers don’t spend a great deal in services when compared for example to a coach load of pensioners smelling of ■■■■ and cabbage, but a boycott would probably cost them in excess of 100000 litres of diesel sales per week, so even if they’re making a modest profit on fuel it’ll still hurt them.

35 minutes was chosen - because MSAs cannot legally discriminate against truckers in any other way.

the maoster:
One possible solution would be a total boycott of the services. Yes I know that traditionally lorry drivers don’t spend a great deal in services when compared for example to a coach load of pensioners smelling of ■■■■ and cabbage, but a boycott would probably cost them in excess of 100000 litres of diesel sales per week, so even if they’re making a modest profit on fuel it’ll still hurt them.

“Modest” profit on fuel - when you see it at 149.9 for diesel when all about it is in the 120’s anywhere off the motorway… :open_mouth:

Sounds cheap to be fair, plenty of services at 30quid plus for a overnight stay.

Concretejim:
Sounds cheap to be fair, plenty of services at 30quid plus for a overnight stay.

It’s not referring to overnight parking though Jim, it’s £1 per hour payable after 30 minutes.

Winseer:

the maoster:

“Modest” profit on fuel - when you see it at 149.9 for diesel when all about it is in the 120’s anywhere off the motorway… :open_mouth:

Trucks filling up on fuel cards pay the bunker price, so it’s no more expensive to fill up at an MSA than at anywhere else which takes the fuel card.

Could we recruit some of our “gilet jaune” brothers to deal with them?

i dont really see it as taking the mickey…if you look at it correctly, its 30 minutes free, + £1 for each hour over that, works out at :smiley: £1 for 1 hour and 30 minutes…more than enough, and put it on expenses.

So, you could rest for ten hours for 10 quid?
Am I the only one seeing this, or have I missed something■■?

malcolmgbell:
I total agree with them,you should take your breaks before you get there,if you did not no, nothing in this life is for free.all you are doing is taking up space from the people that need to take a break

if you should take your break before you get there,then surely the ones who need to take their breaks should do so before they get there as well shouldn’t they or am I missing something

Annex B of Roadside facilities Policy. SERVICE AREAS on APTR’s WILL NOT BE SIGNED unless they comply with policy of a MINIMUM 2 HOURS FREE PARKING. Page 14 Paragraph B17 and Table B1
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … c-road.pdf

Dead simple Mr Wilcox or whoever needs to email the Minister for transport here POCorrespondence@dft.gsi.gov.uk
gov.uk/government/people/jesse-norman
And ask why a service area is not complying with Government policy and still being signed they needed to be reminded of their obligations or the signs come down. Many of the service area operators do not comply with the policy so a threat to remove signage will help them comply.
Ashford Truckstop were charging drivers to park for short periods a couple/few years ago until they were reminded of their obligations “2 hrs free” or the signs come down. They weren’t happy but tough ?

Also feel free to email Roadsidefacilities@highwaysengland.co.uk and ask them the same question.
I’m sure there will be a project to sort out APTR service area signing sometime.

Winseer:
35 minutes was chosen - because MSAs cannot legally discriminate against truckers in any other way.

■■? Not sure where you’re coming from ■■?
MSA’s as well as TRSA’s are 2 hours minimum free to ALL types of vehicle it’s vehicle type not driver type if any type of discrimination and vehicles aren’t a “protected characteristic”.