British workmanship at its best

Travelling north on m6. Past j 17 along the new smart motorway.
In lane 1 which has been opened a month maybe.
All along to knutsford services is uneven in places full of bumps divets. Tram lines Even a few pot holes…
What’s wrong with this country we can’t seem get anything right anymore

It also seems to have poor drainage. Granted it has gained a bit but there was one lane closed Tuesday? due to flooding and even in moderate rain it seems to collect surface water

Now there’s a joke here something about boy bands, Boyzone, hi-viz and hard hats, but I’m sure the political correctness brigade would soon be on my case :laughing:

I delivered a lot of plant on the m23 expansion and some of the work there is shocking and once open will probably be just as bad as that.

Wait until the winter frosts start to get under the wet tarmac, and freeze the water, be down to two lanes, as it all disintegrates. Not very smart.

The central concrete barrier looks like it would struggle to hold anything bigger than a Mondeo as well

toowise:
The central concrete barrier looks like it would struggle to hold anything bigger than a Mondeo as well

They’re better than the old metal ones.

Ah you fell for the trap - when they said “road open” what they really mean is we’ll let people drive on it for a couple of weeks then close it nightly for 2 months to finish off. Eg resurfacing it, fixing the signs, planting trees etc.

They did that on the M1 J25 to 23a after it was “opened” and still seem to occasionally shut it or drop 4 lanes to 1. Was opened pre Christmas! Also did the same on the M62 heading towards Manchester.

The original bits on the M1 north off J28 to M62 is getting bad bumps and tramlines esp near Wakefield. That wasn’t done that many years ago. Needs redoing.

As for doing ot properly, not when its 50 companies each sub contracting and years of arguing between legal depts.

Travelling south on that stretch of the M6 after it had been raining and was now sunny you couldn’t work out which were the new lines for the lanes and which were the old markings for the roadworks as both were just dark rectangles when wet with the sun shining on them.

If you really want bad roads though take a look at the A70 from the M74 to ■■■■■■■■ Its just basically a long stretch of 20 years of crappy pothole repairs.

Conor:
If you really want bad roads though take a look at the A70 from the M74 to ■■■■■■■■ Its just basically a long stretch of 20 years of crappy pothole repairs.

The A70 is fine, used it two weeks ago, lots of new tarmac stretchs, a new section being put in to take away a double bend(can’t remember were) was able to get on easily, has changed a lot since I use to go along it twice a week years ago keeping elbows in as Coal lorries came by, 56 was slow then. Plobbers were not allowed to slow them boys down. it’s definitely a lot smoother now.

Smart motorways are a giant scam imo.

driving south on the m6 this morning a mile or so after sandbach services, the famous pothole had reappeared again on the bridge (by pink church)…its only been laid a few weeks if that!!! :open_mouth:

markymodem:
driving south on the m6 this morning a mile or so after sandbach services, the famous pothole had reappeared again on the bridge (by pink church)…its only been laid a few weeks if that!!! :open_mouth:

There’s a couple near Toddington services on the M1 sth, keep appearing every 6months, top quality workmanship, road gets closer for couple of nights, then it’s lovely till it all sinks again. All this since it was smarties motorway.

biggriffin:
The A70 is fine, used it two weeks ago, lots of new tarmac stretchs, a new section being put in to take away a double bend(can’t remember were) was able to get on easily, has changed a lot since I use to go along it twice a week years ago keeping elbows in as Coal lorries came by, 56 was slow then. Plobbers were not allowed to slow them boys down. it’s definitely a lot smoother now.

What new tarmac stretches? Oh yeah a few a few hundred feet long. The new section to take away the double bend isn’t doing much of a job if what I drove through yesterday is any indication. Are we talking about the same stretch because I’m not sure we are, passing other lorries coming the same way we were both scrubbing the verge. There’s no way in hell you’re doing 56MPH on the bits I’m talking about due to the fact there’s fairly sharp bends, some of them blind, with not much straight between them.

Conor:

biggriffin:

There’s no way in hell you’re doing 56MPH on the bits I’m talking about due to the fact there’s fairly sharp bends, some of them blind, with not much straight between them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
get a proper job and you will be. :slight_smile:

Careers – Current Vacancies
We are currently seeking to recruit HGV cat C drivers with tipper experience and cat CE drivers with walking floor experience to be based from our depot in Hamilton.

We will be offering competitive rates of pay if our high, professional driving standard is met.

If you are 25 or over and have the relevant experience please call the office between 9 and 6 on 01698 720 700 Alternatively, email your CV/details to info@yuill-and-dodds.co.uk

Conor:

biggriffin:

What new tarmac stretches? Oh yeah a few a few hundred feet long. The new section to take away the double bend isn’t doing much of a job if what I drove through yesterday is any indication. Are we talking about the same stretch because I’m not sure we are, passing other lorries coming the same way we were both scrubbing the verge. There’s no way in hell you’re doing 56MPH on the bits I’m talking about due to the fact there’s fairly sharp bends, some of them blind, with not much straight between them.

Loads of parts to get passed was on the coal for 3 years.The A70 is like a motorway loads of fun.

A70? I was on that road the other day saw one of Howden’s drivers on there, he’d got a bit confused and was lost on his way to Lockerbie. :open_mouth:
He looked a bit nervous on the unfamiliar surroundings, and the narrow bits, but he was damned clever…he’d took a strategic decision, he went for the full H&S risk assesment, and decided the best course of action for maximum safety was not only to wear his hi viz buttoned to the top but also his hard hat (with chinstrap of course :sunglasses: ) whilst driving, on this challenging road.
He was last seen at ■■■■■■■ doing a U turn after re.programming his Truckers sat nav.
:smiley:

Colin_scottish:

Conor:

biggriffin:

Loads of parts to get passed was on the coal for 3 years.The A70 is like a motorway loads of fun.

^^^^^^ yup… And keep ya sqwark box on, as one goes by there be another shouting is it clear…

robroy:
A70? I was on that road the other day saw one of Howden’s drivers on there, he’d got a bit confused and was lost on his way to Lockerbie. :open_mouth:
He looked a bit nervous on the unfamiliar surroundings, and the narrow bits, but he was damned clever…he’d took a strategic decision, he went for the full H&S risk assesment, and decided the best course of action for maximum safety was not only to wear his hi viz buttoned to the top but also his hard hat (with chinstrap of course :sunglasses: ) whilst driving, on this challenging road.
He was last seen at ■■■■■■■ doing a U turn after re.programming his Truckers sat nav.
:smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cruel,so cruel,…you forgot the safety goggles in case a mirror came through the window.
at least he took off all that gear in the 5 star howdens supplied for him for his unplanned night out though he did keep the goggles on at mealtimes as nobody certified him as risk assessed for using a knife and fork in ■■■■■■■■■■■ alls well that ends well. :smiley: