M6 Toll

Left Manchester this morning bound for Coventry, both travel news and matrix signs tell me that the M6 s/b is shut at J10. I could have chosen to divert around but decided to use the Toll instead. As I came up to the pay plaza there was (unusually) a 2 mile queue to pay, obviously caused by the other traffic who’d gone that way. As I got to the kiosk the girl said "you timed that right, they’ve just suspended to tolls to clear the congestion "! Result!

No point to this post other than to express my smugness that I didn’t take the official diversion route! :smiley:

Mayhem on the M6 B’ham section both ways yesterday afternoon, n/b caused by breakdown apparently (i used one of my urban cut throughs which worked well only marred by a clueless turnerski), and the return journey was knackered thanks to emergency roadworks M42 north just at the M6 interchange.
M6 toll no use to me as my destination was west brom.

High time the M6 tollroad was nationalised, it should be bought for the nation and made free, would make the whole of Birmingham section better, not just for those passing through but for those who live there.

“Permission to look smug sir”
“Permission granted”

sent using smoke signals

Juddian:
Mayhem on the M6 B’ham section both ways yesterday afternoon, n/b caused by breakdown apparently (i used one of my urban cut throughs which worked well only marred by a clueless turnerski), and the return journey was knackered thanks to emergency roadworks M42 north just at the M6 interchange.

High time the M6 tollroad was nationalised, it should be bought for the nation and made free, would make the whole of Birmingham section better, not just for those passing through but for those who live there.

No never, keep it as a toll road, at least it keeps a lot of the Muppets away, it’s a nice piecfull stretch of road, keeping the hoy-polloy away is excellent.

The m 6 toll should be free when the m6 is shut due to a bad accident. Doest happen often but when it does they should.just make it free…
The council government should get involved come to agreement if m6 is shut and likey to be for a while should be forced to open the barriers

When the private m-way is free to users, is that because Highways Agency has phoned 'em and promised to pick up the tab?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
When the private m-way is free to users, is that because Highways Agency has phoned 'em and promised to pick up the tab?

Doubt it - I think it’s more a marketing/customer service thing. If they are experiencing significant congestion at the toll booths, it’ll pee off the paying customers. Better (for their business) to lose an hour or so’s revenue than damage their major Selling Point.

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Doubt it - I think it’s more a marketing/customer service thing. If they are experiencing significant congestion at the toll booths, it’ll pee off the paying customers. Better (for their business) to lose an hour or so’s revenue than damage their major Selling Point.

Ok.
Pointless taking a “quicker” route if time is lost queuing to pay.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Ok.

Maybe pointless to some, but they say hindsight is a wonderful thing, drivers use common sense and initiative, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t, not all of us have been issued with live traffic sat navs :wink:

Grumpy Dad:

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Ok.

Maybe pointless to some, but they say hindsight is a wonderful thing, drivers use common sense and initiative, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t, not all of us have been issued with live traffic sat navs :wink:

Maybe I should have written a longer reply to Roymondo?
“OK.
If there is a long queue, at the tolls, and it takes too long to pay, that would mean the “quicker” route would loose some of it’s advantage. So it seems rational that the company may let customers travel free, in order to retain their loyalty, and ensure their continued custom and revenue in the future”.

Franglais:
“OK.
If there is a long queue, at the tolls, and it takes too long to pay, that would mean the “quicker” route would loose some of it’s advantage. So it seems rational that the company may let customers travel free, in order to retain their loyalty, and ensure their continued custom and revenue in the future”.

'S’wot I said, innit?

Roymondo:

Franglais:
“OK.

'S’wot I said, innit?

Aarrgģghhhh.
I’m digging this hole deeper!

Yes. Agreed.

Prior to the new system on the Dartford Crossing, the barriers were lifted to allow traffic to flow after accidents, usually the accidents occurred at 05:55 as the final mad dash took place to hit the free crossing before it finished at 06:00.
I’ve never used the M6 Toll and for a guess it’s privately owned and doesn’t pass on proceeds to HA, so it’s understandable the highways agency won’t foot the bill to a privately own section of the motorway.
As you say it would be a gesture of goodwill to road users if the barriers were lifted to ease traffic from the M6 caused by severe accidents, but corporate greed takes advantage of the public thumb in bum mind in neutral attitude.

Juddian:

make the whole of Birmingham section better,cant polish a turd what ever you do

biggriffin:

Juddian:

No never, keep it as a toll road, at least it keeps a lot of the Muppets away, it’s a nice piecfull stretch of road, keeping the hoy-polloy away is excellent.

With you there mate, leave it be