Can this be serious?

My partner has got a new job so we are moving up to Sedgefield, so I thought I’d have a look round and see what’s on offer. I can’t believe this agency are offering £8.63 per hour. Anyone know of any decent employers around the area?

It goes up…

After 12 weeks. Is that 12 weeks in total or 12 weeks of actually accrued days? What does it go up to…£9ph?

Time was that agency workers earned more than full timers based on the premise they were subject to lay offs and cancellations etc. Looks like drivers are as cheap as chips up there.

Avoid.

On the bright side, you can get a house for £50k up there.

ezydriver:
On the bright side, you can get a house for £50k up there.

Not any house I would want to live in!

Get the likes of that on offer up here regularly.
These are usually the type of agency that charge the client top dollar, letting you do all the work to keep the end of month balance sheet look good.
There are always other agencies about offering a decent rate.
The worry is those that take up that kind of offer. Keeping the going rate so low

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

There are always agencies chancing it, the average house price in my village is about 400k yet there are agencies offering 8.50/9ph and people take it

No weekend working but you will work Saturdays if we’re busy.

■■■■.

Sounds about right up here average for employer is 25-30 k this with night out ( ok I know some get more but some get less )

House prices are normally a little cheaper depends where you want to live

Beyond the crap pay and the low pay for 12 weeks, it also looks like your shifts move weekly. Sounds very bad after 3 weeks when you switch from nightshift to mornings, likely 4am so running on reduced weekly rest.

Presumably they drop you off that contract after 12 weeks and put you on the “other work in the area”.

Would probably look for more national companies as they likely to pay the same across the country. Depends if you’re looking for tramping, days, nights, fulltime / agency or specific types of work.

(Sent one on PM who might be taking on around there for slightly more than £8).

These pay a bit more

I’d never heard of Staffline before today, but I found this in a brief search of their site, £11.50 to £16.00 ph. Perhaps they’re not that bad after all?

staffline.co.uk/job/7211

For comparison, my last full-time (Class 2) job was £9.50 per hour for 4-on-4-off shifts: Bank Holidays, Saturdays, Sundays and OT were all at the same flat rate :confused:

Zac_A:
I’d never heard of Staffline before today, but I found this in a brief search of their site, £11.50 to £16.00 ph. Perhaps they’re not that bad after all?

staffline.co.uk/job/7211

For comparison, my last full-time (Class 2) job was £9.50 per hour for 4-on-4-off shifts: Bank Holidays, Saturdays, Sundays and OT were all at the same flat rate :confused:

Since I saw that add I’ve seen better paid jobs with them, but my thinking is why the hell should we get the same money when driving a truck, and all the crap that goes along with it, not forgetting the fines! Or you could pick litter in the park for the same money, this is nothing to do with the picking of litter, it’s about skills, time away from your home, the responsibility of a 44 ton vehicle and trailer worth well over £100k, let’s not forget the load! That rate is an insult!

noisycarl:

Zac_A:

staffline.co.uk/job/7211

Since I saw that add I’ve seen better paid jobs with them, but my thinking is why the hell should we get the same money when driving a truck, and all the crap that goes along with it, not forgetting the fines! Or you could pick litter in the park for the same money, this is nothing to do with the picking of litter, it’s about skills, time away from your home, the responsibility of a 44 ton vehicle and trailer worth well over £100k, let’s not forget the load! That rate is an insult!

No, it’s the going rate that that employer/agency can get away with. If nobody would accept those wages for those conditions, they’d have to increase the rate.

At least you didn’t roll out the shelf stacker…

FFS I’m on for Staffline’s books, £14.75 for midweek nights…

“North of Watford Gap” really IS the third world - aint it? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

With towns up north being further apart and all - I’m amazed how the lower rates can possibly motivate drivers to migrate in from across the other side of the moors, etc. :open_mouth:

The only outfit paying rates anywhere near that around here - are Driverhire/DHL for Sainsburys…

Zac_A:
staffline.co.uk/job/7211

It’s from November 26th, 2018

ETS:

Zac_A:
staffline.co.uk/job/7211

It’s from November 26th, 2018

Ancient History by this point, with Brexit days away (we hope!)

Foreign trucks running into MIDLANDS Transport hubs - is gonna get rather expensive for them rather quickly, once this move to “centralize UK transport” is completed any time now…

I’m not seeing trucks parked up the hard shoulder of the M1 much as yet…

Kent still seems to be the “stomping grounds” for a little while longer yet, I reckon.

Post-Brexit - UK driving jobs will flourish, as they’ll be able to run into those Midland hubs - more cheaply than Foreign trucks can hope to continue to do from the coast, especially if the Pound starts recovering on the Forex as well. Can you get from Dover to say, The Golden Triangle and back - on a single tank you filled up with in France? :confused:

the nodding donkey:

noisycarl:

Zac_A:

staffline.co.uk/job/7211

No, it’s the going rate that that employer/agency can get away with. If nobody would accept those wages for those conditions, they’d have to increase the rate.

At least you didn’t roll out the shelf stacker…

The Mule has it I’m afraid folks.

Whilst many of you CONTINUE to work for peanuts, that’s all the job will ever pay.

■■■■ it up flowers :neutral_face:

Well I sure as hell ain’t working for that money :imp:

Winseer:
FFS I’m on for Staffline’s books, £14.75 for midweek nights…

“North of Watford Gap” really IS the third world - aint it? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

With towns up north being further apart and all - I’m amazed how the lower rates can possibly motivate drivers to migrate in from across the other side of the moors, etc. :open_mouth:

The only outfit paying rates anywhere near that around here - are Driverhire/DHL for Sainsburys…

I too am on Staffline books.

I used to get £15.25 for the first 8 hours. Then £18/hour - mon/fri. With far more for weekends/bank holidays. That was at Sainsburys (not dhl) with Staffline. Plus the £20/shift xmas bonus per shift for 40 days.

Now I get £13/hour days for another big supermarket.

At the end of the day - I still get around a grand a week before deductions. I just do far more hours with the new one.

Staffline are not a bad agency. They have only not paid me for one shift. And that is currently with HR. By next monday if the cash isn’t heading my way I’ll be going to the smalls claim court with them. But that was one person. The other staffline reps I’ve dealt with have been spot on.

sammym:
Now I get £13/hour days for another big supermarket.

At the end of the day - I still get around a grand a week before deductions. I just do far more hours with the new one.

1000 / 13 = 77 hrs/week, I don’t think I get 77 hours of sleep in 7 days. In fact I’m sure I don’t