Richard Read

Another one bites the dust.
They’ve just announced they are shutting down in the next month or so due to poor profit margins.
Their gear always looked smart and they’d invested a lot recently on expanding.

I thought this was going to be about the shoe bomber.

It’s on the RR Facebook page.

They are not going into administration and it looks like an honourable exit from the industry for them: unlike so many.

Good luck to all who worked there.

Is this the whole shebang or just the transport side?
That’s one hell of a workshop to leave empty!

It says the ATF bay will stay open for a bit longer, but eventually it’s all going by the looks of it.

That’s a blow! I had hoped that the gossip was unfounded. I’ve known the company since I was a schoolboy- it doesn’t seem possible that such a busy, hard-working outfit could bite the dust. Surely not the firm’s fault, I suspect that, like so many other family businesses, they are refusing to work for no profit. This is, to my mind, a reflection on what has happened to our industry over the past thirty-or-so years.
My condolences to the Read family and all who worked for them. It must be like losing a close relative. The end of an era indeed.
Stupid old former lorry driver desperately trying to hold back a tear!
All the very best for the future to all involved.
Casey.

I whole heartedly agree Casey. It won’t seem right NOT having a Read transport firm in The Forest. The ATF is supposedly closing at the end of May… Best wishes go out to all involved.

Malcolm Harrison holding an auction on site Saturday 6th April