Send Off For Retiring Driver

I know a lot of companies consider the driver an expendable and to be just a number, a bum on a seat and easily replacable but I saw this this morning.
I personally think it was a nice gesture on the part of Dyce’s rather than just a “well thanks for everything” as he was leaving.
I have no idea what they are like to work for, or their pay structure, but the gesture itself I felt was worthy of a mention and is even a little bit of a buck to the current “just a number” style of many companies and how they would deal with a retiring driver

Simple but impressive, as is their website. I love the sound of the pipes, I got Scotland the Brave but what are the other tunes please?

That was terrific! The hiviz boiler suit and bagpipes combo is a new one on me :laughing:

albion:
That was terrific! The hiviz boiler suit and bagpipes combo is a new one on me :laughing:

Bagpipe playing is…

Acknowledged to be very dangerous. The correct safety gear should be worn at all times!

Nice for the firm to recognise the mans efforts over the years.

Excellent bet the pointy shoed logistics bean counters wouldn’t have a clue what all that was about… Wish the driver a long and happy retirement.

Nice to see!
I’ve just handed in my notice this week after 22 years, I know I won’t get a single goodbye from any management apart from my immediate manager, let alone anyone actually asking why I’m leaving.
Trying to stop me or change my mind won’t even come into it, it all just confirms I’m doing the right thing

excellent post and excellent gesture from the company…well done. no wonder the guys wiping a tear away…

Really nice to see some companies still care about their drivers. We’ve had guys retiring that have served 35-40 years same outfit and one minute they are there, next they ain’t. Just another number gone. Lucky if they get a card passed around!

At our place we`re starting to retire,5/6 over the last 3 years,4 this year,3 next.
In fairness they are a big multinational,but cake,sambos,cocktail sausages,fizzy drinks etc are put out in a private room for all drivers to share with the lucky guy.

yourhavingalarf:

albion:

Bagpipe playing is…

Acknowledged to be very dangerous. The correct safety gear should be worn at all times!

Nice for the firm to recognise the mans efforts over the years.

Imagine the horrible noise if a bagpiper got run over by a truck

[emoji106][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

merc0447:
Really nice to see some companies still care about their drivers. We’ve had guys retiring that have served 35-40 years same outfit and one minute they are there, next they ain’t. Just another number gone. Lucky if they get a card passed around!

I did 27 years and nothing was said or done when I left, nor for many of the other drivers who had done longer than me. I did go back to see some of the lads but wasn’t allowed in as I was no longer employed there, yet when we had an office based there every time a lass left/got pregnant/married a collection was held and some had only been there a short while and we drivers didn’t even know many of them.

Pete.

Nothing from the ginormous national company, but a bottle of single malt from my line manager and a picture and set of crystal goblets from the girls and boys and a wee party. It was nice. :smiley:

Nice one.

Now cue the scramble for his FH16 750 now he’s gone!

That’s nice :smiley: the only music i heard was the slamming of the door as i left :cry:

When anyone retired at my old company they drove this for a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How embarrassing! Imagine wheeling that monstrosity through the streets of Erp.

i retired dec 2016 from carntyne transport in springburn glasgow, i had only worked there for 5 years so wasn’t expecting anything, i was given £200 of asda vouchers, .

short walk:
How embarrassing! Imagine wheeling that monstrosity through the streets of Erp.

You might not want to manoeuvre it into a tight loading bay? But after driving it ‘n’ getting it filthy, someone else would have to clean it after you’d gone home!

Out of hours?
Nah. Out of years!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk