Just noticed an inwards facing camera in my cab

Pretty sure it wasn’t here last time I drove this one (3 days ago). No one from transport told me about it and I’m kind of freaked out about it. Never seen a cab-watching camera before. Should I raise the issue with management as I do feel pretty uncomfortable with this thing looming over me. Meh, whatever. I’m pretty sure their response will be “if you don’t like it - leave”. I’m just an agency driver after all

A bit of tape is a wonderful thing :wink:

You don’t know it’s there and they haven’t told you it’s there so they obviously won’t say anything when you unknowingly cover the thing up somehow. :wink:

blue estate:
A bit of tape is a wonderful thing :wink:

Bit that’s a deliberate act :open_mouth:

However throwing your hi viz or something over it is purely accidental :wink:

I’d tape it.

Best thing is you are agency so can jump into another job no problem.

I had a kip today whilst at work. I was waiting to be tipped, and was on POA. I don’t want someone watching me whilst I’m sleeping. It’s a disgrace. The fact that they didn’t inform you tells you all you need to know. Disgraceful.

If you have an inverter, tap into the wires and give it a quick blast of 240v until all of the magic smoke has come out, they can’t work without that.

Cover it up and wait for a reaction from management, don’t say a word to anyone else in the yard, then have the conversation when questions are asked…

It’s the audio that I’m more concerned about…You see, when I’m alone in the cab sometimes I talk to myself or yell at the traffic or sing along to a song on the radio - things I wouldn’t do in the presence of others. I don’t sleep in my cab or do anything (highly) illegal.

There are a couple of cool TM guys, I’ll see if I can catch one of them and ask what this is all about. As these are rented trucks it might be that the truck rental company has installed it? This company that I drive for, the managers here seem pretty laid back and have a hands off approach when it comes to drivers

You must be notified they are there.

biggriffin:
Cover it up and wait for a reaction from management, don’t say a word to anyone else in the yard, then have the conversation when questions are asked…

With his first question being “How did you know id covered it? There were no incidents so why did you check the footage of me?”

The-Snowman:

biggriffin:

With his first question being “How did you know id covered it? There were no incidents so why did you check the footage of me?”

Yeahhh…I spoke to a guy, part-time supervisor, part-time driver/FLT driver/shunter etc. He said “they” check it when there’s an accident but They might also randomly check it to see how a driver behaves - they look for things like smoking, eating, drinking etc. He himself got caught smoking twice. ■■■■. Yeah…hm.

karl67:

Please provide a link to the relevant legislation that says you have to be.

Can I just be the first to get these points in before the brainwashed and/or the pathetically servile, …(ie. the usual suspects on here) jump in when this subject is brought up…

‘‘They are there for your benefit and your protection’’.

‘‘Every other industry has them so just accept it’’

and the absolute classic…

‘‘If you are doing nothing wrong, what have you to worry about’’

Thanks very much.
:smiley:

Conor:

karl67:

citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ … g-at-work/

Best I could find in 5mins, sure there’s more solid legislation if you wish to search the internet.

Basically, if you’ve not been informed it’s there and when it will be used (accidents, random monitoring) then it can’t be used in any disciplinary proceedings. This also applies to tracking software.

manicpb:

Conor:

karl67:

Best I could find in 5mins, sure there’s more solid legislation if you wish to search the internet.

Basically, if you’ve not been informed it’s there and when it will be used (accidents, random monitoring) then it can’t be used in any disciplinary proceedings. This also applies to tracking software.

From the above link, quote “Employers who can justify monitoring once they have carried out a proper impact assessment will usually not need the consent of individual members of staff.”

Any there’s the weasel worded cop out clause right there in black and white.

I will be looking for another job soon, I’ve got a few different companies in mind, it’s one of the things I would want to know before I start the job, I just think it’s a step too far

WhiteTruckMan:

manicpb:

Conor:

karl67:

From the above link, quote “Employers who can justify monitoring once they have carried out a proper impact assessment will usually not need the consent of individual members of staff.”

Any there’s the weasel worded cop out clause right there in black and white.

They don’t need the consent of the employee to have it there, but the employee needs to be made aware of what it will be used for.

If you are dismissed and evidence is used from a camera and you weren’t previously made aware the footage would be used in that way you will win a case for unfair dismissal hands down.

I would expect that there is a mention of camera use in the contract of employment for full time drivers there. And probably another mention that temp drivers are subject to the same rules as full time drivers in their contract.
If its a half way professional company, you will have been informed about their policy on privacy* etc. May take you a few hours to read through to find it, but itll be there somewhere.

*Just after the cutnpaste clause that food is free if more than 30mins late! :smiley:

ETS:
Pretty sure it wasn’t here last time I drove this one (3 days ago). No one from transport told me about it and I’m kind of freaked out about it. Never seen a cab-watching camera before. Should I raise the issue with management as I do feel pretty uncomfortable with this thing looming over me. Meh, whatever. I’m pretty sure their response will be “if you don’t like it - leave”. I’m just an agency driver after all

Par for thecourse with a lot of firms now. Youll find that it records on a ten second loop, only retaining it when an ‘event’ occurs, like swerving, or harsh breaking. Youll also find that it has an audio recording facillity, recording your expletives when Miss Daisy cuts you up!

Well were i work now they tried in cab cameras but they didnt last long.Every driver refused to drive it and away they went.They have not came back only cameras now is front facing and 2 side cameras thats all.