Anybody here done the TM CPC course?

I’m sitting this next week. I’ve been doing it the self-study route. I’ve been doing agency work so for one reason or another, I just didn’t have the holidays accumulated to follow one of the courses run by the Training centres.

For those who have done it, do you have any advice you could share? I’ve already done the multi-choice paper which I passed. To begin with, I’m a little concerned about time management if some of you have any suggestions to impart regarding it?

I sat these exams back in 2008, passed the two multi-choice one but failed the case-studies one. I’d gone the self-study route too, using the David Lowe books (the Study Manual and the 1001 questions).
I found it “challenging” to say the least (and that’s from someone with a BSc and a higher degree too)
I guess it all depends on your motivation, I did it in order to claim my “free” C+E training… :unamused: Waste of time and money (for me).

Zac_A:
I sat these exams back in 2008, passed the two multi-choice one but failed the case-studies one. I’d gone the self-study route too, using the David Lowe books (the Study Manual and the 1001 questions).
I found it “challenging” to say the least (and that’s from someone with a BSc and a higher degree too)
I guess it all depends on your motivation, I did it in order to claim my “free” C+E training… :unamused: Waste of time and money (for me).

Well thanks. That’s a big help and boosted by confidence. :slight_smile:

Did mine last year on an RHA course and passed no problem. Despite what everyone says, if you have a good general knowledge of the industry and hours etc it is not so bad.

For the case study part my advice would be to read through the questions carefully when given the pack and perhaps get the ones you are most confident with answered first and get the solid marks in the bank. That way if you are struggling for time then you have used what you have most efficiently.

And use a highlighter liberally! Its a godsend to mark up the relevant points from the case study so that you can craft them into an answer.

In the meantime theres a large bank of past papers available the ocr website, along with the examiners report and answers. This is a great way of seeing what mistakes people ahve been making and what is expected in your answers.

Good Luck!
Gordon

Back in the day when they where 2 CPC’s (National and international) I was dumb enough to do both

[quote="Mooping"For those who have done it, do you have any advice you could share?[/quote]
Isolated yourself from distractions, forget standing around smoking, drinking coffee and talking Bollox with others minutes before the exam, highlight certain phrases in your notes beforehand, reading these will trigger and refresh the information about that section stuck in your head, so minutes prior to walking in the exam room you can flick through you notes and think “yeah I know that bit”.
Don’t panic getting stuck on 1 question and focus, make sure you you use all the allocated time permitted, if time permits re-read the question/answers

Then book yourself in for a brain transplant as you’ll have fried your head

FL10Tipper:
In the meantime theres a large bank of past papers available the ocr website, along with the examiners report and answers. This is a great way of seeing what mistakes people ahve been making and what is expected in your answers.

^^^^ This.

Sat mine several years ago.

Time is your biggest enemy. The answers are all in your notes. Highlight anything you think will be relevant and have the notes in some sort of order before you go in, so that you can find the information quickly if you need it.

It’s not that difficult and is more about exam technique and getting the required information into the case study answers.

Good Luck :smiley:

Done mine in '89 and used it for just a couple of months while my son was waiting to do his, cant understand why the DCPC has to be renewed every five years but not the TMCPC ■■?

I wonder how many have done it only never to use it.

Odd days:
I wonder how many have done it only never to use it.

The reason I never used it for my own outfit was because my wife and partner in the business discovered she loved the bank account more than me and buggered off with the lot so I sold up what was left and buggered off back to sea for a year or three … :slight_smile:

raymundo:
Done mine in '89 and used it for just a couple of months while my son was waiting to do his, cant understand why the DCPC has to be renewed every five years but not the TMCPC ■■?

You are supposed to be professional enough to book yourself onto refreshers. To be fair some of them double up as DCPC modules with some training places.
If you are “naughty” they appear to make doing a refresher course a condition of being allowed to keep playing with your toys. :laughing:

Did it 30 odd years ago and never used it as plans like life change.

same for me.
did it years ago,self taught,battered through the easy questions and winged it for the rest.
a helping hand works wonders though.
only used it briefly,lost the certificate moving between houses over the years,and never had any need for it again.
never needed the hassle of renting it out to the cowboys as never was desperate for dosh.

Thank you. Some helpful replies there.

How does it work? Do you go into the exam room with your file(s) with you closed but laid out on the desk and then you proceed to read the case-study for 15 minutes until told to begin or what?

My EOS notes came in a large file which I have broken down into two smaller lever arch files. I suppose I’ll be able to take these two etc in with me? I also have a book by Clive Pidgeon I would like to be on hand.

Passed mine in 2008, passed the 2 multiple choice 1st time case study on the 4th attempt! The teacher said only 35%pass the case study,90% pass the multiple choice ,good luck

Mooping:
Thank you. Some helpful replies there.

How does it work? Do you go into the exam room with your file(s) with you closed but laid out on the desk and then you proceed to read the case-study for 15 minutes until told to begin or what?

My EOS notes came in a large file which I have broken down into two smaller lever arch files. I suppose I’ll be able to take these two etc in with me? I also have a book by Clive Pidgeon I would like to be on hand.

As far as I can remember you are given the case study and blank answer sheets and then told to begin, don’t think there’s a set window to be allowed to read and then begin.

Also, with regard to your notes, mark up everything possible with post it notes etc as an index of sorts. It is amazing how much time you can lose looking for pages under pressure so if you can make that easier that will prove valuable. Also as silly as it sounds make sure you are confident in how to use your calculator! A nice simple thing will be ample and not be so easy to make mistakes with as something with formulas etc on it!

Finally, if you do finish early you aren’t allowed to leave early I don’t think, everyone must stay until the end. Try not listen to others’ discussing how they answered things once you are out! It will just freak you out. Best advice is forget it and wait on the phone call with your results, once you’re done you can’t change it haha!

Thanks for that.

You can take any paper based notes into the exam with you. (case study)

Read through all questions first, from front to back, and see how many marks each question is worth. Once youv been through it all, start ansewring the easiest questions first/the ones you know the ansewr to.

If they ask you to list things, i.e documents and its worth 5 marks, they want 5 documents. Theyll only count the first five, even if ansewr 6 is correct. So write down five and move on.

I did mine back in the 80s when they first came out. I was at a residential course (Somewhere in Shropshire?) for a week with the exam at the end. I passed but I heard that most of the dozen or so that were there failed. This may have had something to do with the fact that they spent their evenings propping up the bar, while I spent mine working.

I didn’t find it hard and never really found it useful either, although I was a TM for several years after.

Santa:
I did mine back in the 80s when they first came out. I was at a residential course (Somewhere in Shropshire?) for a week with the exam at the end. I passed but I heard that most of the dozen or so that were there failed. This may have had something to do with the fact that they spent their evenings propping up the bar, while I spent mine working.

I didn’t find it hard and never really found it useful either, although I was a TM for several years after.

M.O.T.E.C at High Ercall Santa? If so I done my CPC there as well, but used the pub at the end of the lane, passed as well!