Geographical Knowledge

Just watched an episode of Tenable on ITV. A family of five had to name the 10 counties through which the M1 passes.None of them could name any.One suggested Kent;another Middlesex.No wonder sat nav sales are booming.

I can think of eight, what are the other two?
Maybe a sat nav will help?

ere goes…
west yorks
south yorks
notts
derby
leics
northampton
bucks
beds
herts
g london

1st.prize to m.a.n.rules.I knew all of them but I failed to name the 10 winners of Love Island.Or even 1 of them.

Never ever watched anything…

With ‘celebs’ in it but, I have heard of Danny Dyer’s daughter.

Apparently she’s an actress.

Where’s my prize?

That’s that telly thing that people talk about, isn’t it?

It’ll never replace Jimmy Young!

Where is ere goes googled it, didnt know. :smiley: sorry i`ll get me coat.

On Tenable recently the question was to name any counties and places bordering the London region, one bright student answered ‘DURHAM’. Uk geography is appalling on many quiz shows though, I’m not good outside of the UK but do know this island quite well. I suppose having been a driver plus a caravanner for many years helps though. I remember a couple of years ago on (I think) Pointless a question was to name any county in the southern part of England and this lass said ‘Germany’ and was genuinely surprised when it was wrong. A lot of the problem (I think) is that if folk need to know anything nowadays they just google it on their phone, instantly get the answer they require and then forget it again, years ago we read books to find out about things and perhaps tended to absorb the knowledge more?

Pete.

Without googling them name the motorway service areas on the M1 in order

peirre:

Names as they used to be Peirre , or as they’re now called?

peirre:

Northbound or southbound ■■

Without looking them all up I can get you to :-

London Gateway (ex Scratchwood)
Toddington
Newport Pagnall
Northampton (ex Rothersthorpe)
Watford Gap
Leicester Forest East
Donnington
Trowell
Woddall

can’t think of any more and I’m sure I’ve missed one

Tibshelf and Woolley Edge :wink:

Deleted

pierrot 14:

peirre:

Names as they used to be Peirre , or as they’re now called?

North or south it doesn’t matter, likewise the names
It was a question that I was asked at an interview

I would question South Yorkshire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whisperingsmith:
> windrush:
> I remember a couple of years ago on (I think) Pointless a question was to name any county in the southern part of England and this lass said ‘Germany’ and was genuinely surprised when it was wrong. Pete.

The correct answer is all of England is German = Anglo Saxon Territory

Just ask Herr Carryfast & Von Bewick on the old timers forum :unamused:

EDIT: The royal family could claim Greek lineage as well as German in case of a messy Brexit

And don’t forget Harry can get a green card and work in America

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most definitely S Yorks, all the way from Barnsley to Woodall services.

Lonewolf Yorks:
Most definitely S Yorks, all the way from Barnsley to Woodall services.

I would call Yorkshire a county. I wouldn’t call North Nottinghamshire a separate county.

To me Hendon is still in Middlesex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this case theres a world of difference…

I’m from North Yorkshire which is the biggest county in the country on its own although with the smallest population!

My partner is from South Yorks which to us might as well be France lol. I go down there regularly and they’re nowt like us. Much more like Wessies (West Yorkshire folk). Which isn’t entirely surprising as most of what is now South Yorks was part of the West Riding. We never had a South Riding. West Yorkshire of flat caps and whippet rustlers, the stereotypical view of Yorkshire folk and couldn’t be further from the truth up here!

I come under the north-east rather than Yorkshire. I live nearer to Newcastle than I do to Leeds and Boro is the local football team. Notts would fit into North Yorkshire around 3 or 4 times which is probably why there isn’t a North Notts!

The ones that really make me laugh are those southrons that scuttle up to Manchester and then say they’ve been ‘up north’…hahaha thats barely out of the Midlands. Theres a whole 3rd of the country north of the M62!