P&O

Reuters and BBC both report
P&O Ferries sold to DP World.

P&O Ferries reflagged their ships from the UK to Cyprus earlier this year. DP World sold the company about ten years ago.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

P&O Ferries reflagged their ships from the UK to Cyprus earlier this year. DP World sold the company about ten years ago.

Couple of links here for a read

gulfnews.com/business/dubais-dp … 0644794766

thenational.ae/business/dp- … n-1.827872

Not much point in carrying on with the P and O name in that case.While I finally gave up on using them anyway after my complaints about lack of access to the deck space on their boats and fed up with being corralled into a small area at the back were met by deaf ears.In addition to the over used Dover port now becoming a liability to use and the P and O fleet just being fair weather large Isle of Wight type ferry designs which are going no where when the wind really blows.To the point where might as well use the Dutch or Normandy crossing routes instead.

I’d imagine that your refusal to use them ^^^^^ was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

Franglais:

Flagging out is not unique to P & Slow, Irish ferries are all registered in Nassau so again little to do with Brexit more to do with saving money

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Flagging out is not unique to P & Slow, Irish ferries are all registered in Nassau so again little to do with Brexit more to do with saving money

Flagging out is common. True.
Not all changes are due to Brexit. True.
mobile.worldmaritimenews.com/ar … to-cyprus/
Above link shows P&O statement.
It is Brexit linked.
Edit to add. Cyprus IS part of the EU of course.

Carryfast:
Not much point in carrying on with the P and O name in that case.While I finally gave up on using them anyway after my complaints about lack of access to the deck space on their boats and fed up with being corralled into a small area at the back were met by deaf ears.In addition to the over used Dover port now becoming a liability to use and the P and O fleet just being fair weather large Isle of Wight type ferry designs which are going no where when the wind really blows.To the point where might as well use the Dutch or Normandy crossing routes instead.

How will they ever recover? You know what P&O stands for don’t you? Peninsular & Oriental…a name that stopped being relevant to their actual business decades ago so I see no reason to drop a well known brand now

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

How will they ever recover? You know what P&O stands for don’t you? Peninsular & Oriental…a name that stopped being relevant to their actual business decades ago so I see no reason to drop a well known brand now

I used to do a bit for P&O containers.
POCL…
■■■■ Off, and Call Later.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
they would be more accurate now changing it to polish ad oriental.
the only comprehendable voice on the larne boats are the captain,and the plummy english voiced ■■■■ on the safety announcements.
passenger decks,car decks,kitchens,shops,bar,everywhere you can go is all flipflops who dont speak english to any great degree.
just lowering standards,and cost cutting the same as the standards of grub…■■■■ poor nowadays.

The Arabs spending their oil money again in the name of investment…hopefully at least the free tea,coffee and milk will no longer be robbed by the EE drivers. Psst, also heard Westminster is also in the deal politicians included. :smiley:

switchlogic:
You know what P&O stands for don’t you? Peninsular & Oriental…a name that stopped being relevant to their actual business decades ago so I see no reason to drop a well known brand now

You do know I was only referring to the cross channel ferry operations.In which case it’s a bit more complicated than that and,unlike the long haul cruise market,admittedly the P and O brand was never really relevant to those operations anyway but for the unfortunate circumstances that took out the Townsend Thoresen brand.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Ferries

As for the name not being relevant since decades ago.How so.

pocruises.com/australia-and- … d-cruises/

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
You know what P&O stands for don’t you? Peninsular & Oriental…a name that stopped being relevant to their actual business decades ago so I see no reason to drop a well known brand now

You do know I was only referring to the cross channel ferry operations.In which case it’s a bit more complicated than that and,unlike the long haul cruise market,admittedly the P and O brand was never really relevant to those operations anyway but for the unfortunate circumstances that took out the Townsend Thoresen brand.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Ferries

As for the name not being relevant since decades ago.How so.

pocruises.com/australia-and- … d-cruises/

P&O Cruises was sold off over a decade ago, they aren’t linked to P&O Ferries anymore and I was obviously not talking about them.

switchlogic:
P&O Cruises was sold a decade ago, they aren’t linked to P&O Ferries anymore and I was obviously not talking about them.

Yes I know.In which case as I said UK-Australia shipping operations of whatever type are more relevant to the P and O name.Than cross channel ferry operations which was really just a forced move after the Herald fiasco when might as well have reverted to the European Ferries name.While seemingly having flogged off the ferry operation to an obscure arab outfit who really cares what they call it now.But leaving the P and O brand in place on the Channel can only demean the ongoing more relevant long haul sector use of the name either way.Surprised that the cruise division buyer didn’t call for the name to be removed from the cross Channel services as part of the deal in that regard.