Rear Sidelight lens missing

Picked up a unit and trailer yesterday and the unit had a rear sidelight lens missing (damaged) was a given a different unit but would it have been illegal to drive. Some advice please on how DVSA would treat it and the Police?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee.HGV:
Picked up a unit and trailer yesterday and the unit had a rear sidelight lens missing (damaged) was a given a different unit but would it have been illegal to drive. Some advice please on how DVSA would treat it and the Police?

It would have earned you a prohibition, I should think.

If you had kept the trailer on and covered the bulbs or removed them if they were not part of a side marker as to show no white light to the rear, you would have been fine.

Dave…

lee.HGV:

Generally the police wouldn’t bother a Hgv driver unless you were being a total knob breaking traffic rules, doubt a missing lens in a side marker is high on there priority list… the dvsa on the other hand may bring the firing squad to relieve you of some hard earned slave tokens!

You might not get pulled for it, but if you are it will be one more stick to beat you with.