SMART (Again!)

Anyone else see the guy this morning in the broken down car in lane 1 of the M1, just North of Watford Gap, frantically waving his phone with the light on to warn other motorists? Around 4.45am. Frightening stuff.

Full electrical failure on the vehicle?

Bloody hell, hope the poor sod was okay :frowning:

Could of been. No lights at all. Not even hazards. Nothing on the matrix’s either.

TomCrin:
Could of been. No lights at all. Not even hazards. Nothing on the matrix’s either.

Worst nightmare that in the dark on a smart motorway.

Did the right thing with his phone.

Certainly was a good idea but he was stood to the rear of the car.

Ha, people’s brains more tuned to see a phone than hazard lights these days :laughing:

TomCrin:
Certainly was a good idea but he was stood to the rear of the car.

Ive thought about this before and I’d stand on verge and use torch app on phone and use SOS mode.

It really is a terrible situation to be in with no working lights on the vehicle and I would expect it to be hit within 20 minutes.

Would be a good idea if they added yellow vests and triangles as required items in a car as abroad. At least that way you can alert people on the appropriate side of the road.

I guess this will be hard for the cameras to pickup if its entirely dark, but think o would rush back up the verge to an emergency phone while trying to alert people enroute.

His biggest danger will be people looking at him, not the car and avoiding it. Great things these permanent all running lanes…hmm.

Do wonder if you’d be allowed to phone emergency services on handheld in a case like that? Not like you can stop easily and use emergency phones.

Let’s just make them back into hardshoulders, all you get with “all lane running” (what a misnomer) is even more dullards in cars doing 50-55 in every lane.

Once again, it’s compensation for over-population, done on the cheap. Just like a flat in a leasehold block, it’s not a solution, because it’s not addressing the problem it proports to.

Surely there is no reason why these motorways can’t revert to running lanes and hard shoulder during the hours of darkness if they are not lit. Use of a hand held phone in an emergency is legal if safe to do so. Would be a good idea to carry a battery powered flashing amber light for such situations.

I’ve got the vests & triangle in the boot of my car but with full power loss my choice to get them would be balanced against traffic volume, other passengers & the like. Have a torch in the glovebox but rarely used so while the battery would be ok on first switch on how long would it last?

If, and it’s a big IF, you could safely stop behind the broken down vehicle to use yours as illumination would you? I think I would if only until rescue arrived.

Think it was Tuesday this week around half 5 (proper rat race time) 2 cars were just north of toddington with hazards on stationary in lane 1. Appeared to be a big tyre in front of them. Went past and thought Jesus it’s dangerous.

I do agree with those mentioning torches, hi-viz, triangles etc. They’re sensible things to have in any vehicle. What annoys me is the fact that we are paying for things to try and mitigate a risk that government has created. I know it’s only a few quid individually, but would you bet against them being made compulsory?

A great wheeze, take years to build a crap road, force people to spend money protecting themselves against its inadequacies, then fine them if they fail to do so.

Same kind of principle with trailer MOT discs being discontinued, fleets are getting their own discs printed for ease of operation. More private cost.

What is even more surprisingly stupid is the government spends millions on putting gantrys up in ‘congested’ areas, but wont illuminate the whole motorway network. Whats more important, seeing a broken down car at night or everyone slowing down to 50 at 2am in the morning

bristolrob:
What is even more surprisingly stupid is the government spends millions on putting gantrys up in ‘congested’ areas, but wont illuminate the whole motorway network. Whats more important, seeing a broken down car at night or everyone slowing down to 50 at 2am in the morning

There are numerous places where unlit roads have to be an accepted part of driving.The key is maximising the use of main beam headlights in such cases even at the risk of affecting oncoming traffic.However too many people now seem to drive around on dipped lights without even knowing when or even how to use main beam lights.

Carryfast:

bristolrob:

There are numerous places where unlit roads have to be an accepted part of driving.The key is maximising the use of main beam headlights in such cases even at the risk of affecting oncoming traffic.However too many people now seem to drive around on dipped lights without even knowing when or even how to use main beam lights.

Every time I read one of your posts I think “this brainless clown can’t come up with anything stupider.”

Then you go and post that.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Every time I read one of your posts I think “this brainless clown can’t come up with anything stupider.”

Stop it Carryfast, you’re making me agree with TheUncaringCowboy, I’ll need therapy soon! :slight_smile:

Plenty seem to do this (the main beam thing) although not sure if they sure just being a-holes or its these auto main beams which don’t turn off esp on motorways or dual carriageway.

As for stopping behind a broken down car - I did it once in daytime behind an accident on lane 3 of M6. Was seriously scary considering how many failed to see a car on a fairly straight bit of road with hazards, fog lights and flashing brake lights. Plus the other traffic was slowing, except some idiots in lane 3 all driving certain brands of car.

Time to scrap all running lanes.

TheUncaringCowboy:

Carryfast:

Then you go and post that.

The only brainless clowns out there are those running around on unlit roads and sometimes even mediocre lit roads using dipped headlights because they don’t know what the main beam light switch is for or when to use it.Bearing in mind the described scenario among other issues like suicidal cyclists without lights while,like vehicle reflectors even reflective clothing won’t show up in time under the pathetic range of dipped lights.Don’t know or care if you fall into that lot but if the cap fits wear it.